Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

frailer5

Re: Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby frailer5 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Johnj wrote:Well, I've read a couple of pages, and I still can't work out where this ride is going. And the date seems a little unclear? I may be able to come along once the fog clears a little.
Johnj,
I'm skipping over all references to this coming Saturday 22nd.. But am reading Narellan for 29th (Quang seems to have acquiesced).
Too late/too tired to look at maps tonight, but shall peruse tomorrow. Would be great to see you there.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

applio

Postby applio » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Hergest wrote:
applio wrote:What time do we meet this 22nd sat? Sop to pemulway?
As Dave says, Claire and myself are meeting at 7 at SOP, Quang is meeting us at Guildford West/Merrylands West at around 7-45 here http://goo.gl/maps/CQHB9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quang reckons he will go on to the M7 and as the SOP to Pemulwuy is pretty easy going i might be tempted to follow him if only to see when he hits the wall as he forgot to eat breakfast :D

You can meet us at either spot. It's not a retro ride as such although the ride thread has got itself embedded here so you don't have to come on the yellow peril, you can if you want to though.

woodpark road much better for me ofcoz...... is there big hill on this ride? so something like 200km for this ride?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:51 pm

applio wrote:

woodpark road much better for me ofcoz...... is there big hill on this ride? so something like 200km for this ride?
200 km? Probably half that or so and all easy. The only hill if we do the M7 is the one up to the Elizabeth Drive which is pretty tame.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 am

Good luck with the heat tomorrow, guys. Claire, tell your partner to throw some ice into the pool. You'll be needing it. (Also tell him to not accidentally fall in).

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am

Tomorrow looks the sanest of the 3 days with a paltry 29 degrees at Parramatta forecast. Today is a different story though, glad i got a ride in at 6.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:49 pm

I know you guys did a ride up to Pie in the Sky a few weeks back and was wondering what it's like from Hornsby up to Cowan? Relatively safe and relaxed? I can see most of it has the shoulder to ride on, however other bits are just single laned?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Hornsby to Cowan was really straightforward with no issues that i can recall. There were a couple of short sections with no proper shoulder but always enough room for cars and motorbikes to get round. Pies were excellent :D

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Hergest wrote: As Dave says, Claire and myself are meeting at 7 at SOP, Quang is meeting us at Guildford West/Merrylands West at around 7-45am
So 7am outside Lillie's/Waterview at olympic park? I'll be there, will anyone else?
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:53 pm

Hergest wrote:Tomorrow looks the sanest of the 3 days with a paltry 29 degrees at Parramatta forecast. Today is a different story though, glad i got a ride in at 6.
Thank goodness. I am planning a fast 135km.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:39 am

Clarification please. Is 29th a 200 km return ride, as per Bruce's maps? Would be a bit of a challenge for me as a retro-ride.
Just needing to assess, is all.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:49 am

Good point Paul - 200km including razorback is a serious challenge & not everyone will have the time, energy or inclination for such a long ride.

But fear not. As I understood BFV's concept, it was to have a route that enables people to ride as much or as little as they want, with plenty of points for people to say "that's enough for me"

As always with the retro crowd, cruisy pace, no-one left behind, routes, distances and pie stops are all up for negotiation, no pressure on anyone to do more than they feel comfortable with

Route can be broken down as follows
SOP - casual meeting point for those riding to the start which is normally where i meet Rheicel BFV & others - 10km
Parramatta at 6:30 am - official starting point
Parra to end of M7 50 km - choice of stopping here & returning to paramatta via M7 (50km), rail trail (27 km) or train (8km)
End of M7 to Narrellan Vale 25 km - again choice of stopping here & returning to paramatta via M7 (75km), rail trail (43km) or train (10km)
Razorback & return for the masochists 40 km as always, anyone can bail out here after 115km

Like I said happy to discuss what people want

QuangVuong

Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 pm

I was thinking for those who want to do a shorter loop, we can turn off the M7 at Hoxton Park Rd. We can stop for food somewhere in Liverpool, then continue up the rail trail and return to Parramatta. This is about 70km from Parra to Parra and looks like this.

This is what I'm gonna do, so whoever wants to come along, then just follow me.

Also, Guildford Paul, we went to close to Yennora station before taking that slight off road path to turn around. Is there anyway to connect from that off road bit back to the rail trail? Or is it just jump onto Horsely Dr or Pine Rd to connect back? Itll be a nice and quick loop for me if it does connect.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:Good point Paul - 200km including razorback is a serious challenge & not everyone will have the time, energy or inclination for such a long ride.

But fear not. As I understood BFV's concept, it was to have a route that enables people to ride as much or as little as they want, with plenty of points for people to say "that's enough for me"

As always with the retro crowd, cruisy pace, no-one left behind, routes, distances and pie stops are all up for negotiation, no pressure on anyone to do more than they feel comfortable with

Route can be broken down as follows
SOP - casual meeting point for those riding to the start which is normally where i meet Rheicel BFV & others - 10km
Parramatta at 6:30 am - official starting point
Parra to end of M7 50 km - choice of stopping here & returning to paramatta via M7 (50km), rail trail (27 km) or train (8km)
End of M7 to Narrellan Vale 25 km - again choice of stopping here & returning to paramatta via M7 (75km), rail trail (43km) or train (10km)
Razorback & return for the masochists 40 km as always, anyone can bail out here after 115km

Like I said happy to discuss what people want
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. We don't know what the weather will be like and we don't know how we'll feel on the day, so plenty of jump off points well articulated by my learned colleague. I would like to do the full distance, but stuff happens. I'm aiming at least for Narrellan Vale. My parents haven't moved there yet, so I can't head there and into the pool.

There is also the option of jumping on the M4 at Horsley Park and heading back into Parramatta that way. There's a good shoulder all the way to Parramatta when you get off the main road and head under it.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 pm

QuangVuong wrote:
Guildford Paul, we went to close to Yennora station before taking that slight off road path to turn around. Is there anyway to connect from that off road bit back to the rail trail? Or is it just jump onto Horsely Dr or Pine Rd to connect back? Itll be a nice and quick loop for me if it does connect.
Yes. Point A is where we got off the rough roadside and turned right to follow the creek. If you turn a harder right at that point it loops around under the bridge, down a sidestreet and then pavement to join the Rail Trail in the region of the Cambridge Tavern boozer. Link below.

http://goo.gl/maps/DYtjk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Claire, Ivan and Quang, thanks for a great ride today, really enjoyable and a good healthy 125 kms. The Hergest curse struck again and Claire took a tumble this time, fortunately a slower more sedate tumble than others i've witnessed but still a painful and bloodied one so i hope the soap and water didn't sting too much.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Hergest wrote:Claire, Ivan and Quang, thanks for a great ride today, really enjoyable and a good healthy 125 kms. The Hergest curse struck again and Claire took a tumble this time, fortunately a slower more sedate tumble than others i've witnessed but still a painful and bloodied one so i hope the soap and water didn't sting too much.
I agree, thanks for a good ride, albeit with a tumble. I've just cleaned the pool and am now sitting in the spa ignoring the stinging from my elbow. I'm telling myself the saltwater will do it good and therefore I'll just have to stay here all afternoon instead of doing chores :)
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Happy to go with Quang's shorter loop. Early start is fine by me. Razorback as a 'day outing' another time, though, for sure. Thinking of randonneur bars for the Ricardo, from Velo Orange. That will automatically add distance ability, right? :D (Feel free to burst my bubble.
Hope you're mending OK, Claire.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 pm

pulling my name out for this Saturday, and the next Saturday: work's rostered me for consecutive weeks as we approach the silly season :(
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:03 pm

I will still do Razorback, perhaps loop around it twice (going up old Razorback, down Remembrance Drive and then along it again. Need to ride more hills. :oops:

Claire: hope you are okay.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:04 pm

OK, myself and possibly a couple of other DHBC folk will be coming along on Saturday. Lizanne's very keen for something epic, Marc and myself less so...

Depending on start time I might meet up at SOP or Parramatta. 6am at Parra sounds a little early for me.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Start time is 6:30 at Parra Park. Check with Bruce for SOP start time. I'm heading along the Parra Valley Cycleway to get to Parra Park at 6:30 so I can pick people up along the way if required. DHBC peeps are always welcome. Tell Lizanne to bring her fixie.

Don't forget that there are bailout points along the way. Doing the Quang loop is something you can decide on when we get to the bottom of the M7 and you can always kick back and chill at a cafe instead of doing the Razorback extension and we'll pick you up on the way back through.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 pm

I'll meet you guys at Abbot Rd cr Old Windsor Rd.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Start time is 6:30 at Parra Park.
I have a 6:24 arrival at Parra Stn. Should be able to get to the Park rendezvous by 0635... ish. You guys OK with that? Otherwise half hour earlier for me.
Can we make that point the meeting of Pitt & Macquarie Sts... near the entrance gates?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 pm

No problem at all, Paul. Pitt and Macquarie sounds like a reasonable place to meet. We'll wait for you.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:46 pm

If anyone wants to meet at SOP, corner Olympic Boulevard and Dawn Fraser Avenue, leaving 5:45 am. PM me your phone # in case there are any issues.

Rheicel, by my calcs, we should be at Abbot Rd cr Old Windsor Rd around 7am.