M7 Safety Alert Thread

Rockford

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Rockford » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Not quite the M7 but close enough, some cretins had smashed about 12 bottles of beer all over Church Rd, near the soccer fields at Rooty Hill which a fair few people use to get on to the M7. Been there for a number of weeks so I figured the council weren't going to clean it up and I was sick of carrying my bike over it all. Good half hours work sweeping as they'd really done a good job of spreading them out and about a half a shopping bag of glass and gravel and in my bin at home. :D

May need to be careful for a few days as I may have stirred it up a bit, coarse gravel mix so the glass was quite hard to sweep up.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:32 am

Good on you buddy.
You've certainly prevented anyone who isn't watching the road at night.

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:48 am

Hergest wrote:Watch out for fat oafs stumbling across the path completely oblivious to riders coming up the hill at the top of Elizabeth Hills. I know you're pleased you made it to the top and think that that is the pinnacle of cycling but while you are ambling around with your mates waiting for the cardiac arrest there are other riders who don't want to stop just because it's the top of a slight hill and it would be good if you at least looked before walking in front of them.
Everyone has to start somewhere Hergest,

I see plenty of noobs who are forgetful of other users and make sudden and erratic moves, I purchased a bell for such occasions and it works a treat,

though my riding buddies say I use it too often :D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:33 am

I have the same frustration driving on the road, lots of twits out there. Part of being awesome is managing their failures while pursuing your success. Good luck with that though, because everyone becomes a Hubbard with enough kms in the legs or in a new group or a new route/not enough coffee/too much coffee/too many whiskeys/not enough whiskeys...

Tolerance is a noble path to walk, acceptance is higher still, but actually taking time out to say "well done" to the Hubbard who is struggling is often considered impossible when it is the best way to stop them being Hubbard. Nothing stops people being ignorant of others needs like us paying attention to their needs :idea:

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:26 am

+1

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Not directly related to the cycleway- but around midday there was a horror accident on the M7 itself near the Equestrian centre.

Somehow an old E30 BMW 325i managed to roll over and end up on its roof in the grassy area between the motorway corridors. All occupants appeared to be okay through some miracle. The car will certainly be a write-off, but they got out of it and it held up well from the looks of things.

Traffic banked up in both directions and vehicles were parked on the hard shoulder.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 am

Yep rode past that yesterday. Looked pretty bad. Could see all the occupants were out and police and emergency people in attendance, very lucky escape especially considering those wire cabled barrier things could easily pierce a car roof I reckon.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Going past there today, it looks like the old BMW managed to level a tree as well. :shock: Those occupants got very, very lucky yesterday.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:40 pm

MoeJoe wrote:I had a Supercoach encounter today. Although no helpful advice was shared unless you road too slow infront of him where touching and hand gestures are done. Supercoach sightings are worthy of the safety thread.
Spotted him today as well (pedaling crazy slow up hills) - had a quick chat before I turned off the cycleway - kms done for the day.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:11 am

Gates closed near Prestons this morning, and at the other end of the M7, there's a low hanging tree branch on the exit of the big S curve near Lady Penhryn Park heading north towards Norwest Boulevard. If you are in your lane, you might hit it.

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:06 pm

M7 was looking good today. Lots of riders out and about , a few more women than usual. I clocked up 100kms today , from my home in Macquarie Fields right to very end of the M7 cycleway and back home. Well the bike went for 100km , I just went along for the ride. When you freewheel downhill does that count as riding?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Andrew09 wrote: Well the bike went for 100km , I just went along for the ride. When you freewheel downhill does that count as riding?
Indeed. You can't go down if you don't go up in the first place and visa versa.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

zozza

Postby zozza » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Found some property belonging to Mathew Hird on the M7 cycleway near Prestons this morning,

If anybody knows Mathew, PM me for return. Will hand in on Monday otherwise.

Cheers
Zozza

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Ok, where do I start. Spotted a rider in a peloton using aero bars (he was third wheel on the right). A few riders through the underpasses on the wrong side. A large peloton riding side by side through a narrow section (with unbroken centre line) as we passed them. A rider passed me very close at speed without warning (he died on the hills). Three riders stopped in the middle of the path just past the bollards at the Prestons end. Several riders stopped on the path at blind spots. A guy riding up a hill not looking (head down) who crossed to other side of path and almost hit the fence. Is it a full moon or something?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Speaking of large groups, there is actually an advisory on the info signs requesting the size of the groups be limited. I had never noticed that before.

That is probably a good idea too, some of the big groups are very difficult to overtake and sometimes people further down the line don't see you when you are coming towards the group.

If I'm riding in a group, I won't use the TT bike. It isn't nice for that kind of riding, and it is terrible in windy conditions.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Zozz, ever the good citizen :)

biker, I reckon it's the heat. It is seriously hot out there, I'm hiding inside because of some red calves from Thursday :lol:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Zozz, try a Facebook search for Matthew Hird. There's one in Girraween which sounds feasable.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

zozza

Postby zozza » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:18 pm

I tried that Boogs and came up empty, I'll try again

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Nice nerd-work mate. Bummer though.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:16 pm

Beware down the Prestons end near the sporting fields, it looks like someone has smashed some dinner plates. :shock: Seen broken glass before, rocks and other debris, but never smashed crockery.

A couple of riders ahead of me today were going two abreast (one per lane) across bridges and near blind corners as well. When they noticed me behind them, the left rider went to the left of his lane, and the other one went to the right side of the other lane. :?: :? I wasn't sure what they intended, so I rolled along at 10-15km/h and waited for a while and eventually went past on the right when they moved over. If they were leaving a gap for me to go between them, I certainly won't do that. No real harm done, the cycleway was pretty empty.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:Beware down the Prestons end near the sporting fields, it looks like someone has smashed some dinner plates. :shock:.
Greek wedding? :lol:

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:12 am

Greek KOM? :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Well, it's mostly cleared away (or smashed into finer pieces). :lol:

Keep an eye out for snakes, they are still about. I nearly cleaned up a black snake today, missed it by some infinitesimal amount. I think half of Eastern Creek heard the expletive I shouted as I saw the thing coil up suddenly. :shock: :shock: :shock: Thank god I was doing a reasonable speed... :shock:

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Image "[SNAKE]"

li2099

Postby li2099 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Great thread.
This is where I come to every time before a ride on the M7.