Parramatta river cycle way

Warin

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Warin » Mon May 02, 2016 8:38 am

:twisted: You want a light weight small broom? A child's broom would do.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-kids-broom_p3360511

Once the path is clear of dirt/mud/glass then the broom needs to be carried vertically - brush up - to indicate a 'clean sweep' like the submarines do. A suitable mechanism could be had from the umbrella bicycle mounts. :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 02, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm thinking something like these:

Oops, how did that last one get in there?

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue May 17, 2016 3:41 pm

thanks for the work in cleaning up the shared path. still noticeable this morning.

from PVC, i turn north at Meadowbank towards macquarie park. love the 19% climb up Benson Lane to Blaxland Road .. then it's pancake flat all the way.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Proposed upgrade of existing path through Queens Wharf Reserve and extension to Alfred St, Parramatta.

Comments close May 27.

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/your_co ... sting-Path

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 23, 2016 10:03 am

Apparently the Homebush bridge is open between Rhodes and Wentworth Pt, or at least it was open for foot and cycle traffic on the weekend. Will find out tomorrow when I head through there.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Apparently the Homebush bridge is open between Rhodes and Wentworth Pt, or at least it was open for foot and cycle traffic on the weekend. Will find out tomorrow when I head through there.
The official opening was yesterday. A bus service between Wentworth Pt and Rhodes begins today.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 23, 2016 11:18 am

I heard the official opening was a bit of a schmozzle - something about a truck blocking the bridge which meant people got 3/4 of the way across before turning around to come back.

An auspicious beginning

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 am

find_bruce wrote:I heard the official opening was a bit of a schmozzle - something about a truck blocking the bridge which meant people got 3/4 of the way across before turning around to come back.

An auspicious beginning
Was Drunken Gay driving the truck?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon May 23, 2016 11:45 am

find_bruce wrote:I heard the official opening was a bit of a schmozzle - something about a truck blocking the bridge which meant people got 3/4 of the way across before turning around to come back.

An auspicious beginning
LMAO you're kidding? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 23, 2016 2:04 pm

biker jk wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Apparently the Homebush bridge is open between Rhodes and Wentworth Pt, or at least it was open for foot and cycle traffic on the weekend. Will find out tomorrow when I head through there.
The official opening was yesterday. A bus service between Wentworth Pt and Rhodes begins today.
Cool. I give it a ride tomorrow, but one of the reasons I ride through SOP is to get 20km in the morning, instead of 2km, which is my shortest route to work. The bridge will take ks off, and I won't get to enjoy the dead foxes on the side of the road any more.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon May 23, 2016 4:09 pm

An auspicious beginning
Yep.....

Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

What exactly was going on there Mark? Was it a construction thing or something to do with the grand opening that had blocked the path? A planned thing or just a big balls up?
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Hergest wrote:What exactly was going on there Mark? Was it a construction thing or something to do with the grand opening that had blocked the path? A planned thing or just a big balls up?
From what I understand, it was part of the "stage" for the "pollies" & other "hangers on" to stand on, sing & sprout about how good they all are. :roll:

Didn't get to see or hear any of it, as we cyclist were held back from using the path until all the "hot air" had cleared :evil:

Just another BIG Balls Up!!

after being turned back, I headed home for fear of really getting on my high hose!! :evil: :evil:

.....as usual with any cycling infra in sydney, trikes & velos just aren't considered.... planners REALLY need to do MORE research into "cycle types" .... it's not just DF's out there.....

#numptys :cry:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:31 am

So I rode it this morning. Meh. Rode up from the Wentworth Pt side along the appropriately named Footbridge Blvd. It's a funny little climb up there then there's an actual footpath, white concrete and not very wide, before it becomes black and wide nearer the bridge. The footpath isn't signed or painted as a shared path. The shared zone seems to start right on the bridge, so you'd have to ride along the road for a bit then go up one of the little driveway things and onto the bridge. I'm sure PC Plod would catch lots of people riding on the footpath over the age of 12 by exploiting this.

Bridge itself is nice and smooth. Apparently someone with a dog, or possibly a horse, walked over the bridge at some point this morning.

The Rhodes side dumps you onto the road. I suspect when construction of the community center is complete there will be a curving path down to the waterfront.

Overall rating: 6 rocket ships.

DojoBuff

Postby DojoBuff » Tue May 24, 2016 11:07 am

I hope one day they link the bridge up to the Promenade cycleway, which currently ends abruptly just north of Baywater Drive.

Milar

Postby Milar » Tue May 24, 2016 11:14 am

I rode over the bridge on the way home last night. Perhaps it was the novelty factor but it was remarkably busy at 6:00pm. Given the level of development at Wentworth Point and an expected 20,000 residents there, I can see that this little pathway will become very congested and unwelcoming for riding on during key times of the day. It all seems very short sighted. Also the on/off junctions to the shared path are pretty average and a little confusing on my first time use.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 24, 2016 11:43 am

Milar wrote:I rode over the bridge on the way home last night. Perhaps it was the novelty factor but it was remarkably busy at 6:00pm. Given the level of development at Wentworth Point and an expected 20,000 residents there, I can see that this little pathway will become very congested and unwelcoming for riding on during key times of the day. It all seems very short sighted. Also the on/off junctions to the shared path are pretty average and a little confusing on my first time use.
I agree on the novelty factor as well as the potential congestion, and it also saves a few Ks, and therefore time, but I think I'll stick to my regular route. I think it will give people more cycling options, however, since getting to the ferry and train station has become a lot easier. There are almost always bikes and bike shaped objects at both locations. There definitely aren't many car parking options.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed May 25, 2016 2:46 pm

So riding on the road on the bridge is a no no?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed May 25, 2016 4:38 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:So riding on the road on the bridge is a no no?
No signs that stated no bicycles on road, so go for it and speed up. :)

If signs do go up, then we`d blame someone for it. :twisted: :roll:
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Ha ha funny for the pollies to take the credit for the bridge, it was paid for by the developers so they could avoid paying for infrastructure on their side such as schools. Anyway it looks like a great piece of infrastructure.

Do the bus lane signs say "Bus lane" or "Bus' only" ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu May 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Milar wrote:I rode over the bridge on the way home last night. Perhaps it was the novelty factor but it was remarkably busy at 6:00pm. Given the level of development at Wentworth Point and an expected 20,000 residents there, I can see that this little pathway will become very congested and unwelcoming for riding on during key times of the day. It all seems very short sighted. Also the on/off junctions to the shared path are pretty average and a little confusing on my first time use.
I rode over the bridge last night (Wed) at 6 pm (exactly according to my GPS) from the Eastern side. From reviewing my fly6 footage, 25 pedestrians passed me in the opposite direction (eastbound), and I passed 4 westbound. It's hard to say that's congested or unwelcoming. No cyclists passed me on the shared path in either direction.

Someone in a red jersey rode from east to west in the bus lane, starting about 15 m behind and travelling at a similar (slow) speed, until he sped up on the downward slope at the western end. From my fly6 footage, he didn't appear to trigger a camera flash (although the only camera I can spot is on the western end next to the eastbound lane, it didn't appear to fire). In the short time I was on or near the bridge, a bus passed in each direction. The westbound bus was ahead of the cyclist fortunately. Don't know the legality of it, but manners tells me you shouldn't be getting in the way of buses in the bus lane.

FWIW, there is a strava segment Bennelong Blast with average speeds of over 40 kph ... clearly not achievable on the shared footpath unless you were a totally reckless idiot.

As to practicality of the shared path, I agree with the comments about the shared path vanishing into thin air on the western side ... with no indication of where cyclists are expected to go. Maybe council has to do some catching up with its markings.

As well, there doesn't seem to be any provision (laybacks etc.,.) for cyclists to get from the Footbridge Rd/Hill Rd intersection to/from the shared path on the western side of Hill Rd. On the eastern side, the layback is in an awkward position for cyclists riding south on Shoreline Drive. Makes heading onto the bus lane pretty tempting when layback arrangements haven't given much thought to cyclists.

While it's unlikely to be a regular route for me, I think it's a good win for Wentworth point residents and possibly some Newington/Silverwater commuters too. For Wentworth point, it will provide a path for ambulances and other emergency vehicles that avoids the Olympic Park Drive traffic choke.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Fri May 27, 2016 10:17 am

I think if you live in Wentworth Point, it's fantastic that you can easily walk over to Rhodes.

Part from that, I don't see too much point in it really.

Was fun to give it a hit, but doubt I'll use it again.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri May 27, 2016 8:52 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:So riding on the road on the bridge is a no no?
The signage is difficult to find on approach to the bridge, as the relevant signs
are posted well up the bridge road way from Shoreline Drive.

The road is marked as a T-way, and rule 157-1 says
Rule 157-1 wrote: 157-1 NSW rule: T-Way lanes

(1) A driver (except the driver of an authorised T-Way vehicle) must not drive in a T-Way lane.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(2) A driver (except the driver of an authorised T-Way vehicle) must not stop in a T-Way lane.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
As per rules 16 and 19, a bicycle rider is a driver. So it is illegal to cycle on a T-way lane.

If Strava had an ethics, it would remove the Bennelong Bridge segment so that it is not encouraging
law-breaking.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat May 28, 2016 5:55 am

wombatK wrote:
If Strava had an ethics, it would remove the Bennelong Bridge segment so that it is not encouraging
law-breaking.
Strava themselves wouldn't know about the dangers of fast riding and the pedestrian/cycling mix on a specific segment. If you flag the ride and enough people do the same then they can remove it or at least not allow the leaderboard on that segment. Lots of downhill segments are flagged as dangerous around Sydney and so don't have leaderboards.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat May 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Hergest wrote:If you flag the ride and enough people do the same then they can remove it or at least not allow the leaderboard on that segment
I can't see a "flag" action item on my strava ... so is that a premium feature ?
WombatK