John Whitton bridge closure by Ausgrid for 1 month in mid`16

Bunged Knee

John Whitton bridge closure by Ausgrid for 1 month in mid`16

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:21 pm

I received this BikeNorth email regarding the closure of John Whitton Bridge by Ausgrid for the installation of new electricity cables for 1 month next year. Construction is expected to start mid`16.

Almost all Bike North members would have ridden over the cycleway on the old railway bridge at Meadowbank. New electricity cables will be installed by Ausgrid next year and they are planning to close the shared path on the bridge for about one month during construction.

Bike North thinks that closing the bridge for this amount of time is unacceptable and Ausgrid should look to find ways to conduct the work without closing the path.

We ask you fill in the survey by Ausgrid, tell them how you use the bridge and request they keep it open the whole time. Complete this online survey before Monday 28 September 2015. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/29ZL99R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

It takes less than 5 mins tops. I asked for it in not to be greedy to closed it off completely and to leave half the space for pedestrians and cyclists.

http://www.ausgrid.com.au/bridgeusersurvey
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tez001

Re: John Whitton bridge closure by Ausgrid for 1 month in mi

Postby tez001 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:13 pm

The detour if it was closed would be out to Ryde Bridge

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Worthwhile participating - and highlighting the safety problem of being diverted, as a bike rider, to Ryde Road.

I suggested that they close between 11pm and 5am as a solution - and provide through-fare for other times. Also proposed a temporary floating bridge. I did not propose a Miami Vice style sunseeker boat which would be a fast ferry service for cyclists and pedestrians - as cool as it would be.
Cycling is in my BNA

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:16 am

AUbicycles wrote: Also proposed a temporary floating bridge.
Err that 'solution' would stop the Parramatta ferry ... amongst other river users.

I don't think Austgrid would be working on the weekend .. so leaving it open then, even if obstructed, would be usefull for recreational cyclists.

Austgrid could close a lane on Ryde Bridge for cyclist use .. see how that would fly :twisted: . Of course it would only be needed for a few hours a day ... say 5 am to 10 am and 3pm to 8 pm....
Last edited by Warin on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:30 am

A floating bridge - with a raised bridge would still work. It is an awesome flexible and moveable bridge. Planners however may not appreciate the movement of the floating bridge when the ferry passes by, but the kids would love it.
Cycling is in my BNA

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 am

AUbicycles wrote:A floating bridge - with a raised bridge would still work. It is an awesome flexible and moveable bridge. Planners however may not appreciate the movement of the floating bridge when the ferry passes by, but the kids would love it.
There was a floating bridge used in Hobart .. I wonder where that is?

The army has bailey bridges some where .. would they span some of the distance for river traffic .. and then the floating bridge for there. Or a bridge over the bridge ... thus Ausgrid works under the temporary bridge.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 am

Warin wrote:
I don't think Austgrid would be working on the weekend .. so leaving it open then, even if obstructed, would be usefull for recreational cyclists.
As a daily commuter across that bridge, you weekend riders can bite me :D . Aside from cyclists, that bridge gets a huge amount of pedestrian traffic. i can't remember a time in the past year or so when I've ridden across it without there being multiple pedestrians on it. It's a vital link between the ferry and Rhodes, and also between the TAFE and Rhodes.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:52 am

I think the best outcome would be for the bridge to be open on weekends for recreational riders and during the week, a detour across to Ryde Bridge.
Note that the cyclepath from Meadowbank goes to Ryde bridge, under it and takes you out where the Ikea warehouse is. There is a short section of road before you hit the other side of John Whitton bridge

Also understand BFV's point of the link between Rhodes, TAFE and Ferry users.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:53 pm

If they closed a lane for bike riders across the bridge on Ryde road, that would be a safe option for bike riders.

Pedestrians will have it tough - the distances really stretch out if they can't use it.
Cycling is in my BNA

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:16 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Warin wrote:
As a daily commuter across that bridge, you weekend riders can bite me :D .
Och ... :wink:

Some notices on the bridge maybe helpfull and alert the actual users (if they stop to read it).

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Warin wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Warin wrote:
As a daily commuter across that bridge, you weekend riders can bite me :D .
Och ... :wink:

Some notices on the bridge maybe helpfull and alert the actual users (if they stop to read it).
I agree with that. If there hadn't been a blackout the other day with Ausgrid's Facebook page being the only real news source, I wouldn't have known anything about it before this post. Then again, I didn't know it was called the John Whitton bridge, either, and I've lived in the region for 20 years (I spent many years living a few hundred meters from it and still didn't know).

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:22 am

AUbicycles wrote:If they closed a lane for bike riders across the bridge on Ryde road, that would be a safe option for bike riders.

Pedestrians will have it tough - the distances really stretch out if they can't use it.
For bicycle riders there is no need to have a lane closed, there is a path beside the bridge which links to the Parramatta Valley cycle path on the north side.

BFV I had no idea it was called John Whitton bridge as well!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 am

I was gobsmacked that they were going to close the John Whitton bridge for a month, as I couldn't imagine how the train network was going to cope with the main northern railway closed. But it is ok - the plan is for the old Meadowbank rail bridge, NOT the John Whitton bridge.

It is very sad that I am forced to admit to knowing that the original lattice bridge, opened in 1896, was designed by John Whitton, but was never named for him.

Yes I am a big nerd, thank you for noticing. No the correct name of the bridge makes not the slightest difference to the topic at hand. None the less I am impressed that I have resisted pointing out the incorrect name for 3 days, including in my response to the Ausgrid survey. :P
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:22 pm

(AT) find_bruce, you are correct.

The lattice truss bridge was designed by John Whitton but wasn`t named after him. Yet the new rail bridge is named after him.
Info is in Wikipedia.

I called it as is. Sorry for the confusion. :)
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 pm

filled I the survey and also wrote to the local MP there (office@dominello.minister.nsw.gov.au ) to ask themn to seek an alternative.
I rode over there this morning, even mid morning there was a dozen people using it as I crossed

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:33 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
I agree with that. If there hadn't been a blackout the other day with Ausgrid's Facebook page being the only real news source, I wouldn't have known anything about it before this post. Then again, I didn't know it was called the John Whitton bridge, either, and I've lived in the region for 20 years (I spent many years living a few hundred meters from it and still didn't know).
Because I saw surveyors at work a couple of weeks ago from a private company, it was evident something was afoot. My mates thought
it might be related to the Northern Freight Line extensions, but nothing google confirmable on that. If you're really observant, you can see some spray-can markings
the surveyors left behind.

Not happy about the proposed closure ... another case of cyclists and pedestrians being treated like 2nd class citizens.

When another utility (TransGrid) laid new cables along the Guildford to Prospect canal path last year, it had to stump up money to fund
additional cycling infrastruture (including such things as building the bridge over the railway at Regents Park).

So I hope that Ausgrid, or whoever buys it, has to stump up a decent cycling infrastructure contribution to offset its planned inteference
on this bridge.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:50 pm

As for a workable alternative ... that's easy: lay an underwater cable across the river bed.

Then there's no need to worry about whether a bridge that is more than 100 years old has
got enough life in it to support the expected cable life.

And guess what: the project is just replacing an existing cable which currently runs
under the Parramatta River ... a much shorter route length than what is now
proposed.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:39 am

I cycle across the railway bridge from Meadowbank to Nth Strathfield 3 days a week. The reason for the closure is to install replacement 132kV power cables that currently are sub marine cables across parramatter river towards the big antenna at Homebush bay. The new cables are coming from Lane Cove to Mason Park it is also going across the new bridge across Homebush bay when completed. Basically the overall least cost option.

Ideally the railway bridge should be left open early in the morning and afternoon and on weekends to allow the majority of commuters to continue to use it. Possibly they could install a barracade to protect the cable works to allow it to be open for periods of time. With a 132kV cable there would be a fair bit of setup and once started will want to work continuesly.

I agree this will inconvenience a lot of commuters, especially pedestrians and require bike riders to be diverted onto a road which is not ideal and adds additional safety issues. The question which is safer, ie. Being diverted or riding through a construction site?

Saw the signs by Ausgrid on either approach to the bridge the other day but didn't stop to read them as I was already aware of the project.

JDH

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:45 pm

Pedestrians can catch the train across can't they, or get a bike. No big deal for cyclists, as Ryde bridge has a good wide shared footpath on east side, and connects to paths or routes on each side. Only adds a km or two to the trip. That said, Ausgrid should be looking at ways to keep the path open, maybe by building working bays off the path. They should explain more. Have they looked at any options that might keep the bridge open, even if only intermittently.

Bunged Knee

Re: John Whitton bridge closure by Ausgrid for 1 month in mid`16

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:42 pm

People who took part of this survey got an email from them today.

Good afternoon

As you have previously expressed interest in the Top Ryde to Wentworth Point cable project, I wanted to update you on Ausgrid’s plans to lay new underground cables from Top Ryde to Wentworth Point via our substation in Meadowbank. Yesterday a community newsletter with an update on our plans was delivered to residents and businesses living and working near to the proposed cable route. Please find the newsletter attached to this email.

Review of environmental factors (REF) on exhibition
Ausgrid has prepared an REF on the proposed cable route which is now on exhibition until Friday 22 July 2016. The attached newsletter has details on how you can view the REF and make a submission. If you have any questions about the REF, members of the project team will be available to discuss the REF at Ryde Library on Tuesday 28 June 2016 between 4pm and 7pm. Alternately you can call us any time via the contacts listed below.

Temporary closure of old Meadowbank Rail Bridge
The cable route includes a section which crosses the Parramatta River on the old Meadowbank Rail Bridge, which is now used as a pedestrian/cyclist bridge. The project team identified during planning that to install cables across the old Meadowbank Railway Bridge, it may be necessary to close the bridge for a period of time. Ausgrid carried out targeted engagement with old Meadowbank Rail bridge users and completed further planning to work to mitigate impacts on bridge users during construction. Please see newsletter for information on the proposed mitigation measures.

More information on the project, including the REF and the online submission form, can be found at http://www.ausgrid.com.au/rydewentworthpoint

If you have any questions please contact Ausgrid at any time via the contacts below.

Kind regards

Fleur Laurence | Major Projects | Ausgrid
1800 006 549 | majorprojects@ausgrid.com.au

In the PDF as I can`t copy it to here. It stated it will get full bridge closure for 1 full week rather than 4 weeks.

*Bridge will remain open to users during the day except for the one week closure as mentioned above.

*Work zone to move progressively across the bridge with access narrowed at the construction area - cyclists will be required to dismount in this section.

*Bridge to be closed at night to allow construction crews to move the work zone and reinstate the bridge deck as work is finished in each section.

*A detour will be in place via Ryde bridge.

*Construction will be done in the winter months when bridge traffic volumes are lower. This will avoid the annual Spring Cycle.

Disappointed with it but much better than 4 weeks closure. And get to see what happens when they do the Bennelong Bridge zone.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 am

Got an email today - apparently no need for closure after all
Ausgrid wrote:No bridge closure required
After considering community feedback and working closely with bicycle user groups such as Bicycle NSW, Ausgrid and our contractors have been able to revise the planned methodology so that the bridge will no longer be closed during construction.

The bridge approached will now be accessible during all stages of construction. At the northern approach to the bridge (Meadowbank side), an alternate access path will be provided beside the work zone. At the southern end (Rhodes side), the access path would be narrower but still accessible to users.

More information on the project can be found at http://www.ausgrid.com.au/rydewentworthpoint.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 am

Work has begun. The bumpy section of path North of the bridge is closed and has been dug up while pipes are being laid so for the time being you have to use the ramp at the bottom of Bay Drive. This might be excellent news in the long run as you would hope the whole path would be relaid, it was suffering quite badly from root incursion and was pretty rough.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 pm

^^ Agreed with Hergest.

Signs were up at bridge. Have to dismount when there`s work in use from 18th Jan and ends in late March. Traffic control will be in place.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Saw it on Sydney Cyclist about the video on this bridge.

Not good of narrower path in work sections and narrow temporary asphalt path. Disappointed with Ausgrid.

https://youtu.be/ll8sT-yVwAA

edit, pics added.

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:09 am

I don't think it would be dangerous if you dismount as instructed. If you try to ride through that would be silly. The current situation is still better than being closed completely. I suspect it is staying open more for pedestrian access between meadowbank and Rhodes rather than cyclist.

JDH