When will M2 reopen...

vosadrian

Re: When will M2 reopen...

Postby vosadrian » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 am

caneye wrote:as of yesterday, M2 westbound AFTER PHR is ready for riding. the road shoulder was cleaned, resurfaced and repainted. even has newly painted "bicycle" logos on it. in fact, i saw a cyclist riding west-bound yesterday.

However, the PHR intersection remains a dog's breakfast. the only way Mr Rapha would've been able to cycle west-bound yesterday was to ride in traffic, ie take the lane for 200-400m after the PHR on-ramp west-bound. we're talking about sharing the lane with cars travelling at 100kmh here ..

ALSO, on the PHR off-ramp west-bound, there are still barricades in place preventing riders from continuing on the M2. like i said, a dog's breakfast.
Is there any progress on riding on the M2 PHR to Seven Hills? Likely to be before the end of the year?

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:02 am

no good news to-date mate.

in fact, more bad news.
once you get on PHR off-ramp, immmediately after turning LEFT to join the detour, the footpath is temporarily closed. you will be forced to ride with traffic on PHR. NorthConnex is using that stretch to park a number of their mobile floodlights.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks for that. For me, I live near Pennant Hills Rd, so just looking to head west from there. I have started riding Old Northern Rd to Baulkham Hills and getting on there. It was better to get on at PHR, but I will have to wait a while longer by the looks of it.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:18 am

take note that there was some roadwork done over the weekend (west bound just before the Beecroft tunnel). A section of the road was dug up and new asphalt laid however it creates an artificial bump on the breakdown lane. it might catch riders out if they do not expect it 'cos west-bound into tunnel is a little downhill and it's very easy to pick up good speed at this section.
beware!

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:42 pm

caneye wrote:take note that there was some roadwork done over the weekend (west bound just before the Beecroft tunnel). A section of the road was dug up and new asphalt laid however it creates an artificial bump on the breakdown lane. it might catch riders out if they do not expect it 'cos west-bound into tunnel is a little downhill and it's very easy to pick up good speed at this section.
beware!
not to worry - the helpful RMS has now placed a few 'rough surface' signs both East and West bound just West of the tunnel, leaving a safe little ~0.5m gap between sign and car lane in the worst case.

How nice of them.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

just read the Northconnex website today .. utter BS.

http://northconnex.com.au/construction.php

"As part of work to build the access ramps for NorthConnex, the westbound and eastbound Hills M2 Motorway cycleways will be closed between Pennant Hills Road and Windsor Road until 2020".

Since when did they revise the date? The original page had the westbound cycleway reopening in early 2018.

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Faaark. That's annoying. I've been watching it from the bus and I was thinking that there is no way that its ready or even space for a cyclist from the PHR ramp onto the M2.

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

I bet if NorthConnex could charge cyclists a toll to use they'd ensure there'd be 24hr access. However, IMO the blame lays squarely with NSW government for not extending the separated M7 cycleway (via Terms of Reference for the M2 design) all the way into the city. There's just no vision in state politics anymore... :roll:
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 am

Leethal wrote:I bet if NorthConnex could charge cyclists a toll to use they'd ensure there'd be 24hr access. However, IMO the blame lays squarely with NSW government for not extending the separated M7 cycleway (via Terms of Reference for the M2 design) all the way into the city. There's just no vision in state politics anymore... :roll:
Since I started cycling in 2008, and living at Marsfield near the Browns Waterhole underpass, the M2 has been closed to cyclists in some form or another for all but about 2 years. The first closure they did was back in 2007 I think, when they took away the shoulder for Westbound cyclists between Talavera Rd and Beecroft Rd, to squeeze in an extra lane by taking away the shoulder. I am not sure what exactly this achieved. You could still ride Eastbound.
In 2010 they closed all access due to the M2 Upgrade, and it was supposed to be for 2 years. That blew out to 4 years by the time it reopened in full. We got about 2 years of full access until NorthConnex appeared and access was again removed for the section from Pennant Hills Rd to Windsor Rd, and that is unlikely to be open until 2020 now.
They had an opportunity to put in a proper cycleway when they did the upgrade, but unless the govt mandates these things, they won't do it.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Any updates on the M2? I thought I saw someone riding the M2 on Strava recently.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm

i've not stopped riding on the M2 (i enter and exit M2 at pennant hills road heading east).
west-bound after PHR is still closed. in the August project update, it stated that NorthConnex are aiming to complete the PHR intersection cycleway within 6 months (optimistic?).

https://northconnex.com.au/docs/default ... f?sfvrsn=4

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 pm

I should have been clearer. I have also been riding the section east of PHR.

I drove down the M2 a few weeks ago and the verge looked clear going west bound from PHR. but I didn't get on at the PHR on ramp heading west. I came through under PHR. Since then I did some Strava searching and I see a few riders are using the section west of PHR. Mostly when going through from east, the get off at PHR and then re-enter at the PHR west bound on ramp. It seems some riders are riding the verge in both directions on the western side of PHR.

So I presume the verge is clear for the ramps and the M2, but perhaps the tunnel under PHR may not be. Probably it is not officially open, but if it is clear, I will give it a go.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:40 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 pm
I should have been clearer. I have also been riding the section east of PHR.

I drove down the M2 a few weeks ago and the verge looked clear going west bound from PHR. but I didn't get on at the PHR on ramp heading west. I came through under PHR. Since then I did some Strava searching and I see a few riders are using the section west of PHR. Mostly when going through from east, the get off at PHR and then re-enter at the PHR west bound on ramp. It seems some riders are riding the verge in both directions on the western side of PHR.

So I presume the verge is clear for the ramps and the M2, but perhaps the tunnel under PHR may not be. Probably it is not officially open, but if it is clear, I will give it a go.
Bike North posted this update a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.bikenorth.org.au/2019/11/03 ... rovisions/
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:59 pm

I rode west from the PHR on ramp and it was fine. Plenty of space for a bike without going on the road. Close to the ramp there is some patch repairs and I had to pick my path to avoid large bumps.

I was in a car going the other way and coming off at PHR (so eastbound from windsor rd to PHR), and that is not as friendly for a cyclist at the moment. The off ramp has areas where you are in the lane on an uphill section so at low speed. I will wait a bit longer before riding that.

So my assessment is westbound from PHR is good to go from PHR on ramp (though may not be officially open for cyclists). I would not recommend passing through the tunnel under PHR westbound. Avoid eastbound use of the PHR off ramp. Cannot comment on the tunnel under PHR eastbound.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:45 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:59 pm
So my assessment is westbound from PHR is good to go from PHR on ramp (though may not be officially open for cyclists). I would not recommend passing through the tunnel under PHR westbound. Avoid eastbound use of the PHR off ramp. Cannot comment on the tunnel under PHR eastbound.
yes. if you're riding from beecroft tunnel then definitely avoid passing under PHR westbound. as of this morning, the concrete barriers are still in place. you will be forced to take the lane for around 400m.

NOVISCOTT

Postby NOVISCOTT » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:38 pm

I've noticed a few bikes in between Windsor and PHR when driving. It still looks officially closed but I assume people are crossing the 2 exit lanes at PHR for eastbound and exiting/re-entering on the PHR ramps when Westbound?
I've noticed the Police speed checking along here on the Eastbound side. I wonder if they would pull you up to enforce the closure? Is it an actual offence?
Any idea how much longer the official closure will be in effect? It looks like the over/underpasses are all but complete.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 pm

I'm riding the M2 closed section regularly. You may have seen me.

When riding eastbound towards the Windsor road exit has a sign that says that the section beyond Windsor road is closed to cyclists in 2018/2019. Since it is now 2020, I sail past it since it nolonger applies. I get off at Pennant Hills Road. I normally do this in peak afternoon traffic and the last few hunderd metres at the top of the exit there are still walls up forcing cyclists into the traffic lane... but as it is peak hour, the traffic is not moving so I just go up the centre lane in that section to the front and then enter the still not moving traffic on on pennant Hills road and sneak up the side until the footpath starts. I have not tried to go under the tunnel, but with exit lanes to cross, it may be a challenge in high moving traffic conditions.

West bound is better. This morning I went under the tunnel of Pennant Hills Road and it is nice and clear up to the new (not opened) cycling over pass. There is a section with a very narrow verge for about 1-200m after that which is a bit tight and unsafe, but you are going fast and it lasts a few seconds and I think the road speed limit is still reduced. After that it is wide and you then have to cross the entrance traffic from PHR and the verge is then the same as it always was before the works after that. If you get on at PHR westbound, it is pretty clear. There are some parts where the verge is a little narrow near the toll gates, but not too bad. I believe the signs for Westbound are more general in saying that it is closed to cyclists without spcifiying a time frame.

I have passed police vehicles in this section and they ignored me.

NOVISCOTT

Postby NOVISCOTT » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 pm
but with exit lanes to cross, it may be a challenge in high moving traffic conditions.
Cheers,
This is the one thing left that has me wondering if I should bother with reverting to the M2 yet. In significant traffic it could be sketchy crossing the 2 exit lanes to continue along the M2. I wonder how much time it would save me over the Aiken rd detour, if any at all if I'm waiting forever for a gap in the traffic?

I might give the westbound run a go tomorrow, but will exit and re-enter on the ramps. That skinny section past the new overpass is a little too skinny for my liking! :lol:

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:03 pm

NOVISCOTT wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm
vosadrian wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 pm
but with exit lanes to cross, it may be a challenge in high moving traffic conditions.
Cheers,
This is the one thing left that has me wondering if I should bother with reverting to the M2 yet. In significant traffic it could be sketchy crossing the 2 exit lanes to continue along the M2. I wonder how much time it would save me over the Aiken rd detour, if any at all if I'm waiting forever for a gap in the traffic?

I might give the westbound run a go tomorrow, but will exit and re-enter on the ramps. That skinny section past the new overpass is a little too skinny for my liking! :lol:
90% of the itme I cross single exit/entrance lanes without having to wait... but double exit lanes is going to be difficult to manage. It is easy enough to look over your shoulder at a single exit and identify which cars are exiting to see a gap, but you don't want to make a mistake at a double lane being unsure if traffic is exiting or going on. Coming to a complete stop with no momentum just makes the gap you need much bigger.

That skinny part past the overpass is new. A couple weeks ago it was not an issue. There was a wide verge with bariiers that were far enough to the side for a cyclist to easily fit through without going near traffic. It is worse now... but it is downhill and you are going 50kph in an 80 zone, so it is past quickly and cars are not flying past you. Mostly I get on at PHR so do not go under the tunnel... I do the tunnel about once a week when returning from a Bobbo group ride that comes out at Browns waterhole. I figure the hassle of getting across PHR is as risky as a few seconds of the skinny bit.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:23 am

did the westbound from PHR yesterday. decent space on road shoulder at PHR onramp despite the current roadworks.
i always like the westbound approach to the Windsor Road offramp. you can see the ascent from far away. reminds me very much of Eau Rouge at Spa :)

eastbound to PHR offramp - (as above) the concrete wall forced me to take the lane uphill. it was late sunday morning, not much traffic so cars were exiting M2 at good speed. i did not enjoy that at all!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:34 am

I see the overhead signs say that they are closing the east bond PHR off ramp for works most nights this week. I expect the situation there will change... but maybe it will be worse!!?? It is not great at the moment as you found out... but in heavy traffic it is not too bad as you are the only one moving.

NOVISCOTT

Postby NOVISCOTT » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:25 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:34 am
but maybe it will be worse!!??
I'm hoping it'll be better. I noticed they were system testing the lights for the WB overpass ramp this morning. Perhaps they are closing it off the collect the concrete bollards and set to work the cycleway? One can dream.

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Sat May 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Greetings - just checking - can you ride the Westbound cycle bridge? When I drove past during the week it appeared to have the fence still up. Cheers

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon May 18, 2020 11:17 am

jubaeg wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Greetings - just checking - can you ride the Westbound cycle bridge? When I drove past during the week it appeared to have the fence still up. Cheers
I can't comment on the west bound cycle bridge. I can say the east bound tunnel looks open but when you go down it, it is blocked at the other end and you have to turn back. Of course I think nothing is officially open yet. I am using the M2 regularly in both directions between PHR and Bella Vista, but I would not recommend passing through under PHR at the moment, as you have to cross 2 lanes at the entry/exit which seems a bit dangerous to me... until they open the bridge/tunnel.

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Mon May 18, 2020 3:21 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:17 am
jubaeg wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:45 pm
I can't comment on the west bound cycle bridge. I can say the east bound tunnel looks open but when you go down it, it is blocked at the other end and you have to turn back. Of course I think nothing is officially open yet. I am using the M2 regularly in both directions between PHR and Bella Vista, but I would not recommend passing through under PHR at the moment, as you have to cross 2 lanes at the entry/exit which seems a bit dangerous to me... until they open the bridge/tunnel.
Thanks mate - wanted to check first rather than just turn up and get a bit agitated. Am pretty excited about the infrastructure that they're putting in place here.