Extreme Gong Ride

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Extreme Gong Ride

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 pm

After the success of last years "170k Ride back" I'm thinking that some of us could do an Extreme Gong Ride, I'm thinking 200k+

What we do is we pick a circuit something like
Gong ride
Southerland Highlands
Paramatta
Innerwest

Route can be worked out with whoever is in

Depending on where you live, you ride the route to the start of the Gong ride and then aftwards complete the loop as far as your humble abode with the others
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Re: Extreme Gong Ride

Postby sogood » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:10 pm

I'll be in if it's not a hot day like 2007. Riding back in 30+ deg heat in the middle of the day nearly killed me.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm interested.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:58 pm

sogood and I have been discussing, it seems the route out of Wollongong would be Mount Kiera rd. Then there are options;
- Winton rd / Appin rd -> Campbelltown
- Picton rd / Menangle rd -> Campbelltown
- Picton rd / Remberence drive / Razorback -> Camden

I've done the last one, but I'm not familiar with the other 2.

Route suggestions ladies and gentlemen

philip

Postby philip » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:13 am

Also interested. I've never ridden down there so don't have any suggestions for the route. For me it's still a fair way from Campbelltown or Campden to home, is the 200+km you're measuring from the start of the gong ride -> Wollongong -> Campbelltown or would that be less?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 am

philip wrote:Also interested. I've never ridden down there so don't have any suggestions for the route. For me it's still a fair way from Campbelltown or Campden to home, is the 200+km you're measuring from the start of the gong ride -> Wollongong -> Campbelltown or would that be less?
200+ can be measured anyway you like and I measured from my home. ;)

Seriously, the exact distance isn't finalized but the general idea is to beat a straight there and back on the same route. Suggestions included riding back to Parramatta (via M7 bike path) and then the train home or M5 breakdown lane back to Tempe/Newtown. The consideration there is for early-mid afternoon traffic in Sydney's south-west and rider safety.

We may have to come back to the start or near it to allow those who drove to get back to their car. It's a consideration.

eon

Postby eon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:29 am

I'm also interested.

the "170k Ride back" last year - what sort of pace did you guys go at. How long did it take you ?
I just dont want to be the excess baggage at the back...

I live (AT) Baulkham Hills - it'll be about 35kms to the start for me. 90kms to the gong. I think thats achiavable depending on the pace.
I think Its the ride back that will kill me.. Can I bring some rope incase i need to be towed.. :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:54 am

We had Sandman last year and the pace was tough at the end, especially on the Grand Parade with a strong headwind. The best I could do was to suck Sandman's wheel as close as I have ever done and hanging onto it with my dear life.

I got home at around 3-4pm after 185km or there about.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:54 pm

sogood wrote:We had Sandman last year and the pace was tough at the end, especially on the Grand Parade with a strong headwind. The best I could do was to suck Sandman's wheel as close as I have ever done and hanging onto it with my dear life.

I got home at around 3-4pm after 185km or there about.
Same, I was one of the Sandman suckers trying to hang in there with Sogood :-).

I'm interested in the "big loop" idea especially if it involves the M7 cycleway at the end. I would keep following the cycleway to head home rather than turning off at the M4 like some of the inner westies. Certainly would be a long day out with a very early start for me if riding from home. At least 1.5 hrs from home to the start being conservative, and would need to be in the first few groups in order to not be held up in cycle traffic.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:02 pm

mikesbytes wrote:sogood and I have been discussing, it seems the route out of Wollongong would be Mount Kiera rd. Then there are options;
- Winton rd / Appin rd -> Campbelltown
- Picton rd / Menangle rd -> Campbelltown
- Picton rd / Remberence drive / Razorback -> Camden

I've done the last one, but I'm not familiar with the other 2.

Route suggestions ladies and gentlemen
Have done the Picton Rd-Menangle Rd route before. From memory its pretty good. Only a slight shoulder, but little traffic to worry about. A couple of steep hills that might see weary legs defeated at that time of day, but they're only short climbs.

As far as Appin Rd goes, I'd give it a miss. Little if any shoulder. Lots of (impatient) traffic, and a high accident rate.

Kev.

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:26 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Same, I was one of the Sandman suckers
mmm, i knew you were abit "strange" :wink: :wink:

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:38 pm

eon wrote:I'm also interested.

the "170k Ride back" last year - what sort of pace did you guys go at. How long did it take you ?
I just dont want to be the excess baggage at the back...

I live (AT) Baulkham Hills - it'll be about 35kms to the start for me. 90kms to the gong. I think thats achiavable depending on the pace.
I think Its the ride back that will kill me.. Can I bring some rope incase i need to be towed.. :wink:
you'd be fine, my leg decided to stop working at about the 20km mark on the way back, massive amounts of pain i have never felt before, but with lots of wheel sucking and slowing the group down i made it back to the finish.
My suggestion is if you plan to ride back dont hammer down, you will regret it later.
Also for me the getting to the start at 6am by bike is near on impossible so would have to drive there.

Don

eon

Postby eon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:28 pm

leximack wrote: you'd be fine, my leg decided to stop working at about the 20km mark on the way back, massive amounts of pain i have never felt before,
Don
you ride 10h mtb races and kick our @rses on the footpath with your SS and you felt "massive amounts of pain"......
ohh !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. I'm in trouble.. may need to have me wifey on call..

MrCooms

Postby MrCooms » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 pm

Count me in for the ride back, dissapointed i didn't do it last year.

In as far as the router back i'm with Boognoss for involving the M7 in some way. Looks like there will be a few of us from the North West region on the ride back

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 pm

eon wrote:
leximack wrote: you'd be fine, my leg decided to stop working at about the 20km mark on the way back, massive amounts of pain i have never felt before,
Don
you ride 10h mtb races and kick our @rses on the footpath with your SS and you felt "massive amounts of pain"......
ohh s***. I'm in trouble.. may need to have me wifey on call..
it was not a normal "im tired" sort of pain, was like somebody stabbed me in the leg.
Was very weird, had done much longer rides than that before (and pain started at only the 100km mark from the start)
dont really know what it was, took about a week to be able to ride properly, havent had it since.
The main thing is on these long rides, is pace yourself. Go out too hard and you will bonk.
Then its tough to recover
Eat/drink alot along the way also

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:47 pm

leximack wrote:Was very weird, had done much longer rides than that before (and pain started at only the 100km mark from the start)
dont really know what it was, took about a week to be able to ride properly, havent had it since.
Maybe we cooled off too much after the main ride and then hit those rolling hills on the way back too hard. IIRC, we lost 2 riders in that same early part of the return leg last year when they decided to take the train back. We should recalibrate our pace this year to suit all.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Extreme and Gong....hehehehe.
Oh I am only teasing!!!.

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm interested. Penrith to the gong and back sounds good to me :D
Keep climbing until the air is too thin

2006 Gitane Mach 2400, 2007 Giant OCR3 (RIP), 2009 Custom built Stealth, 2010 Pedal Force SRAM Red Rocket

RIP Dad
10:10pm 02/02/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 pm

KillerHeadWind wrote:I'm interested. Penrith to the gong and back sounds good to me :D
Your killer attitude still hasn't changed. :mrgreen:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:09 pm

There's a couple of lovely ladies interested in doing 200, but don't be fooled these ladies are hard core.

Looks like the general interest seems to be M7, so that would make the route M7 then Parramatta river back to the inner west

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 pm

sogood wrote:
KillerHeadWind wrote:I'm interested. Penrith to the gong and back sounds good to me :D
Your killer attitude still hasn't changed. :mrgreen:
Never. In fact I'm enjoying riding so much more these days and want to be punished :lol:

2006 Gitane Mach 2400, 2007 Giant OCR3 (RIP), 2009 Custom built Stealth, 2010 Pedal Force SRAM Red Rocket

RIP Dad

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Well went for a ride today from the Eastern suburbs down to the Gong, then up Mt Keria and stopped in Picton for lunch (egg and bacon roll and coffee, yummmmmm :) ). After lunch carried on down Remembrance Drive to Camden and through Camden Valley Way to the M5 and back home via Tempe.

Observations I made during the ride;
  • - Ride up from the Gong to Mt Keria, the steepest parts were in the first couple of kms (10-12%), after that it a nice steady incline (about 6-8% average) and traffic was very light (this was around 10-11am).
    - Picton has a great selection of cafes, so was a great place to stop for lunch and recharge the legs.
    - Ride into Camden on Remembrance Drive was a bit busy with traffic, but everyone was well behaved. Just wished the road wasn't so potholed in places!!
    - Coming down the M5 was great, as had a nice tail wind pushing me home. Just what you want after a long ride
    - Overall though a very enjoyable ride (just over 215km for the day) and the weather was just perfect.
Below is the route I took
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10273212

Now I'm going to get myself a big portion of fish & chips and relax on the couch for the evening :D

Mikebytes - Edit: added url tags to the link
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:38 pm

ozipom wrote:Well went for a ride today from the Eastern suburbs down to the Gong, then up Mt Keria and stopped in Picton for lunch (egg and bacon roll and coffee, yummmmmm :) ). After lunch carried on down Remembrance Drive to Camden and through Camden Valley Way to the M5 and back home via Tempe.

Observations I made during the ride;
  • - Ride up from the Gong to Mt Keria, the steepest parts were in the first couple of kms (10-12%), after that it a nice steady incline (about 6-8% average) and traffic was very light (this was around 10-11am).
    - Picton has a great selection of cafes, so was a great place to stop for lunch and recharge the legs.
    - Ride into Camden on Remembrance Drive was a bit busy with traffic, but everyone was well behaved. Just wished the road wasn't so potholed in places!!
    - Coming down the M5 was great, as had a nice tail wind pushing me home. Just what you want after a long ride
    - Overall though a very enjoyable ride (just over 215km for the day) and the weather was just perfect.
Below is the route I took
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10273212

Now I'm going to get myself a big portion of fish & chips and relax on the couch for the evening :D
It was a great day for a ride and well done on the long ride. How long did it take you all up?

RIP Dad

pine

Postby pine » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:41 pm

:!:
Last edited by pine on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks guys

In response to your question KillerHeadWind - Left home at about 7am and got back around 4.30pm. In that was a 15min coffee stop at the top of Mt Keria (great views from there) and then another 30 or so minutes stop for lunch at Picton.

and Pine I rode it on my own, always seem to ride on my own. Keep meaning to hook up with a cycle club to get a bit of company. It is the second time I've ridden to the Gong. The previous time I returned the same way, this is the first time I've ridden up Mt Keria and to Picton and back via the M5. I usually try to do one 100km ride on a Sat each week, weather permitting. Really enjoyed the ride today and would like to maybe do it again, but not too soon !!!
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia