Snowy Mts Escape

NotFlyingScot

Snowy Mts Escape

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 pm

In late Feb this year three of the "M7 FPR's" enjoyed a few days smashing themselves on some of the finer climbs that are to be found in that part of the world. Seriously looking at doing it again in 2010. Looking at week commencing Mon Feb 22 or if majority preferred could defer till the weekend commencing Sat Feb 27. That would also be fine by me.
We did it on the cheap, shared a car down and back and stayed in a cabin at Jindabyne ( you could not expect the NotFlyingScot to be throwing his money around after all!).
If anyone else is up for it, just let me know.
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

leximack

Re: Snowy Mts Escape

Postby leximack » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:43 pm

can i put a vote in for Heading off on Monday 1st March.
I will be away water skiing up until Sunday 28th February.
The wifie said i can go after that.
Or if you guys head off on the 27th or 28th i could meet you down there, as long as you stay for more than a few days that is.

Don

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm interested Sandy. Sadly I don't think I'm going to have the time to prepare for Grafton to Inverell

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 am

Sandy the World Superbikes are on at Phillip Island on that weekend (last w/e of Feb 26-28). So there will be lots of bikes (inc me) and coppers in the High Country that weekend. I suppose if your riding the Sat/Sun everyone will be at the track but the 3 days leading up and 2 after will be full of bikes from the north doing the pilgrimage. Just something to keep in mind.

Not sure I can get a second w/e off after the supers, though I'd love to... I'll keep an eye on this thread :D
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 am

interesting...might be going to phillip island though

will advise
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 am

I don't mind what date is agreed upon (hopefully one that will allow as many people to go as possible). The sooner we set the date the better as I can then organise time off from work.
Spiza wrote:I'm interested Sandy. Sadly I don't think I'm going to have the time to prepare for Grafton to Inverell
+1 I'll only be able to commit to one trip away so G2I is out for me.
leximack wrote:can i put a vote in for Heading off on Monday 1st March.
If that date get's you down there Donny and doesn't adversely affect anyone else's participation then I vote for that date too. But as I said I'll go no matter what date is set.

Hope as many of you guys as possible can go. It is a great place to ride, lots of hurt (the climb from Tom Groggins to Dead Horse Gap is HTFU territory x 100 :twisted: ) but very very satisfying/enjoyable. The company wasn't bad either last time :)
FPR Ragamuffin

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Guys

If I fly into Sydney can I get a lift down ?

Pete

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:39 pm

sandman wrote:Guys

Pete
Pete, i will be taking the Mazda Wagon, can carry you and your bike no worries

Don

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:25 pm

I am very interested but not so sure I can get away. :( Transpo is also a concern for me...

Awesome trip this one basing on the pics las time.... :D
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:06 pm

sandman wrote:Guys

Pete
Hope you can fit this in Pete would be great to ride with you again :)
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:08 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:Transpo is also a concern for me...
I'm sure something can be arranged Lou.
FPR Ragamuffin

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Yup...hopefully....

Once the date is decided by the group I will try to work my magic :lol: with the boss....
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 am

Well appears that BMXBandito will be going so I'll throw my hat into the ring. If I can get as much warning as possible I can get an airfare that wont kill me :-) Darn I'm going to have to extract the digit and start running up the local hill we have and do some hill reps to be able to hang on.....

Right now I can motorpace you guys to the bottom of the hill real fast but once the vertical pain starts, who knows, its been a while :-) I cant wait :-) :-) this will be fun !

Pete

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:07 am

sandman wrote:Well appears that BMXBandito will be going so I'll throw my hat into the ring.
:D :D
sandman wrote: Right now I can motorpace you guys to the bottom of the hill real fast but once the vertical pain starts, who knows, its been a while :-) I cant wait :-) :-) this will be fun !
Who are you kidding Pete, you'll be the first to the top of every climb :twisted:
FPR Ragamuffin

bella26

Postby bella26 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 am

As someone who lives in the Snowies - 20mins from Jindabyne at the other end of the lake - I can guarrantee you guys will have an awesome weekend playing in our backyard! I'd be up for joining the group but even though I live here I am still lacking in the hill climbing ability! Still I might see how I go by the end feb/beginning march!
ruscook wrote:Sandy the World Superbikes are on at Phillip Island on that weekend (last w/e of Feb 26-28). So there will be lots of bikes (inc me) and coppers in the High Country that weekend. I suppose if your riding the Sat/Sun everyone will be at the track but the 3 days leading up and 2 after will be full of bikes from the north doing the pilgrimage. Just something to keep in mind.
Definately agree with this one. The bikes come flooding into the area before and after the superbikes - especially to fang down the road from Thredbo to Tom Groggin. Whilst most of them will be sensible on the road you do get a fair few idiots who think they are going to phillip island to participate in the race themselves - scary stuff on the roads!!

There are a fair few popular rides in the area obviously depends on what you want to do. The rides from Jindy to Thredbo/Jindy to Charlottes provide many a challenging hill - and awesome downhills to boot. Tom Groggin up to Thredbo is certainly a challenge and a half to boot (I certainly am not HTFU enough to even contemplate this one) Another popular ride amongst the locals is the 'loop' starting from Jindy to Dalgety then onto Berridale and Back to Jindy. If you want to push it a bit harder do this one the other way. (massive killer hill from Dalgety to Jindabyne!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) This one is about 82kms.

Of course there are heaps of other rides in the area - some even surprisingly mellow ones - just depends on what you want to do over your weekend. I"m sure you guys will all have a ball regardless. :D
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 pm

I think we follow Rus and Bella26 suggestion and avoid the weekend Feb 27/28 and days immediately before and after.
Whilst I can make it an all midweek trip I realise others might prefer to include a Saturday and Sunday within the time away.
I'm inclined to go for dates which include the previous weekend Feb 20/21 if the majority would prefer to include the weekend. We could well be in Asia from early March so better I get it done before then.
This year we drove down to Jindabyne early on the Monday, 80 k Charlottes Pass ride Monday PM, 160 k Geehi River/Tom Groggin ride all day Tuesday and piked out riding on the Wednesday and just drove home at our leasure. This year I would also like to do the Jindabyne/Berriedale/Dalgety/Jindabyne loop in that direction to include rather a tasty climb on the Dalgety / Jindabyne section. Whether I'd be up for driving home straight home after a third 80 km climbing ride I'm not so sure.
How does that weekend fit and would the preference be to add Friday to the weekend or Monday after the weekend?
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 pm

ok, i am good to go
Saturday 20th Feb
Sunday 21st Feb
Monday 22nd Feb
Tuesday 23rd Feb

My preference is to add Monday rather than Friday.

I need to be back home on Wednesday 24th as i am going watersking from the 25th to the 28th Feb

Don

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm

leximack wrote:I need to be back home on Wednesday 24th as i am getting my eyebrows waxed

Don
Ok well I'm relatively easy on this one, Carol is flying to Darwin for Uni sometime around then so I'm begging her for a leave pass :-) When the dates have firmed up then I'll book the Qaintarse flight....30kg limit in luggage, I dont need anything but cycling clothes :-)

Darn going to have to put the hurt on myself going home today to start the training for these climbs :-) Hope I dont have to chew the HTFU band off my arm on the climb .....

Sandman

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:09 pm

leximack wrote:ok, i am good to go
Saturday 20th Feb
Sunday 21st Feb
Monday 22nd Feb
Tuesday 23rd Feb

My preference is to add Monday rather than Friday.

I need to be back home on Wednesday 24th as i am going watersking from the 25th to the 28th Feb

Don
Works fine for me :)

I know Kev is interested so hopefully he'll post about the suitability of these dates.

Someone should let Todd (Badblood) know about this ride it's right up his alley.
FPR Ragamuffin

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm VERY tempted but can't confirm yet. With the Supers the week after I'd have Sat20th to Wed 24th cycling the Snowies. Then Thurs 21st tio Tues 2nd Worlds Supers trip.... Not yet sure that work and the Mrs will both approve :D....

Like Don I'd prefer Sat-Mon. Depending on accommodation arrangements a late Fri drive down could be on the cards - Cooma (Jindabyne)??? Then the Sat is a ride and maybe be home by the Tues night... What were you thinking for the accommodation Sandy?

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:06 pm

I am now checking my leave allocation. :?: Hope to be able to join....the Sandman and Bandito are coming!!!! Oh my....last time I rode with these two...I went off sick the following day :lol:

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:11 pm

ruscook wrote: I'd have Sat20th to Wed 24th cycling the Snowies. Then Thurs 21st tio Tues 2nd Worlds Supers trip....
Sounds just fine to me :wink:
ruscook wrote: . What were you thinking for the accommodation Sandy?
This year the three of us managed fine in one of the on site cabins at the Jindabyne Caravan Pk.( other than Chuck and Jeff arguing as to which one got the top bunk, I had to play the Supernanny role and they agreed to have alternate nights on the top bunk but not before one of them spent some time in the "naughty corner" :roll: )
FPR Jubilado Bludger

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:38 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:
ruscook wrote: I'd have Sat20th to Wed 24th cycling the Snowies. Then Thurs 21st tio Tues 2nd Worlds Supers trip....
Sounds just fine to me :wink:
ruscook wrote: . What were you thinking for the accommodation Sandy?
This year the three of us managed fine in one of the on site cabins at the Jindabyne Caravan Pk.( other than Chuck and Jeff arguing as to which one got the top bunk, I had to play the Supernanny role and they agreed to have alternate nights on the top bunk but not before one of them spent some time in the "naughty corner" :roll: )
Well managed then Sandy :lol:... I meant to edit/finish my post and ask were all 2 (3?) nights in the one spot etc?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:00 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote:other than Chuck and Jeff arguing as to which one got the top bunk
Actually it was quite a short argument, Jeff showed me his biceps, I had a quick glance at my arms, which appeared to be painted on, and it was decided that Jeff would get the top bunk :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote: I had to play the Supernanny role

I'd like to see that :wink:

Jeff can be a bully sometimes :P