Cycling in Sydney vs cycling in Canberra

jasimon

Cycling in Sydney vs cycling in Canberra

Postby jasimon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Seeing as I'm down in Canberra for Christmas I brought my bike down to try riding around there for the first time in 25 years. Oh how I wish cycling in Sydney was anything like cycling in Canberra.

1. I did not get hooted at or have yobbos in utes give me gratuitous advice when riding on the road
2. Pedestrians (and bike riders) on shared bike paths kept to the left and made way when I rang my bell on approach
3. Bike racks at shopping centres were heavily utilised
4. On road cycle lanes were actually a usable width and didn't have their usefulness obliterated by parked cars

Now, Canberra is a smaller place and there were fewer cars on the road in the holiday season, but still. Oh well, back to the big smoke tomorrow (or maybe I'll wait a bit longer and go for a ride tomorrow just to enjoy the difference).

trailgumby

Re: Cycling in Sydney vs cycling in Canberra

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for posting - it's gratifying that our nation's capital is actually showing some leadership.

Now if only our own roads ministers could do the same.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm

One of the things that always gets me when I consider leaving Cbr is having to deal with non-cycling orientated cities. I am currently in Bendigo at the moment and can't wait to get back to Cbr to go for a ride like i'm use to. Good to know i'm not the only one that appreciates it.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 pm

I was thinking about taking a holiday in Canberra with my bicycle. I can take it on the train as far as Goulburn before I have to pay for it/pack in a box, so I was thinking to train it to Goulburn and then cycle into Canberra.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:43 pm

and the mtb trails are also sweet down there in canberra
Mt Stromlo
Sparrow Hill
Majura Pines

Ahhh, single track goodness :D :D

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 am

One other thing was that it was mostly flat. I did a loop from Woden out around the lake on the bike paths and back along Adelaide Avenue and it was big ring all the way. You have to go looking for hills whereas, at least on the North Shore, the hills find you. Probably makes everyone in Canberra soft :wink:

psike

Postby psike » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:28 am

We're all soft for sure :P One wonders if you made it out Tidbinbilla way for some nice undulations? And of course Corin and Honeysuckle are some nice longer climbs but out of the city in the south side. Anyone who did Fitz's Challenge might argue the lack of hills. :D

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:45 am

I was going to say if you didn't find any hills you obviously didn't look hard enough :P . Black Mountain and Mt Ainslie in the middle of town aren't exactly the french alps but they aren't a stroll in the park either. And head out towards tidbinbilla and it def ain't flat.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 am

Yes, there are hills, but you don't have to go over them to get anywhere - you have to go looking for them. By way of context, my wife, who has just started cycling, has had a few rides along the Epping Road cycleway near our place in Sydney. She hasn't got very far and finds the hilliness off-putting. In contrast, she managed to ride along the bike path through Woden and commented that she hit a higher gear than she had ever hit before just tootling along and went much further. Point to Canberra for being more welcoming to beginners.

I was contemplating going up Black Mountain when I was around there but couldn't work out how to get to there exactly and got lost on Black Mountain and Acton peninsulas instead. I just had a little climb up the slopes of Mt Taylor to end my ride. When I was a kid the climb up the hill to home on my 10-speed was always a killer - this time it just helped to make sure I didn't feel too soft.

psike

Postby psike » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:24 am

Woden and the inner north, yes few hills to commute. Move further afield to tuggeranong or Belconnen and there are some hills, but yes point taken, we're lucky to live in a great location for commuting + we have the great mtb tracks and real hills should passion overcome good sense :)

To the Sydney siders I'd recommend come down in around Nov'10 and have a crack at Fitz's Challenge :)

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 am

I rode around Sydney at Christmas and

1. I did not get hooted at or have yobbos in utes give me gratuitous advice when riding on the road, many cars even stopped or slowed to let me in to traffic or turn right
2. Pedestrians (and bike riders) on shared bike paths kept to the left and I had no need to ring a bell, I was also cheered on by random old Koreans
3. Bike racks at shopping centres were not utilised which meant I could park where I wanted
4. Meh.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:17 am

And the club crit at Mt Strombo is only $3, so racing is cheaper in Canberra, but I think there is no velodrome?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:33 pm

psike wrote:Anyone who did Fitz's Challenge might argue the lack of hills. :D
Absolutely. The first few kms of Honeysuckle were absolutely brutal. And Corin was bad because it came with over 100km of mountainous riding in the legs already. Fitz Hill was no pushover either! :shock:
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

psike

Postby psike » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:27 pm

lukas wrote:
Absolutely. The first few kms of Honeysuckle were absolutely brutal. And Corin was bad because it came with over 100km of mountainous riding in the legs already. Fitz Hill was no pushover either! :shock:
aahh Honeysuckle is my favourite climb around Canberra. I love how it lulls you into a false sense of security then wacks you with a steep bit for just a short stint to let you know you're alive. View is fantastic on the climb too. On that note I'm heading out to Corin and Honeysuckle this week as training for the Alpine 250. Be interesting to see how Fitz's Epic compares to the Alpine Extreme 250.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:30 pm

I'm glad you appreciate it jasimon. I can't believe an item about Canberra hasn't copped any negative comments so far(but it will once drubie catches on). Canberra-bashing is a national sport.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:54 pm

trailgumby wrote:Thanks for posting - it's gratifying that our nation's capital is actually showing some leadership.

speaking of ministers, i met the honourable tony abbott at west head today and we spoke for a few minutes. seems like a nice bloke and he has good taste...he rides a hillbrick! :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:And the club crit at Mt Strombo is only $3, so racing is cheaper in Canberra, but I think there is no velodrome?
There's a Tempe-like velodrome at Narabundah. Unfortunately the design of transitions was probably done by a govt committee and it can be a bit dicey to race on, rendering what could be a really good track to one that's not all that appealing to ride.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:56 pm

jasimon wrote:I was contemplating going up Black Mountain when I was around there but couldn't work out how to get to there exactly and got lost on Black Mountain and Acton peninsulas instead. I just had a little climb up the slopes of Mt Taylor to end my ride. When I was a kid the climb up the hill to home on my 10-speed was always a killer - this time it just helped to make sure I didn't feel too soft.
Mt Taylor was my training ground around 18months ago till I started the 'real' hills :lol: . Now its nothing more then a speedbump on my way to/from Black Mt, Ainslie etc :P

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:01 am

HAKS wrote:
jasimon wrote:I was contemplating going up Black Mountain when I was around there but couldn't work out how to get to there exactly and got lost on Black Mountain and Acton peninsulas instead. I just had a little climb up the slopes of Mt Taylor to end my ride. When I was a kid the climb up the hill to home on my 10-speed was always a killer - this time it just helped to make sure I didn't feel too soft.
Mt Taylor was my training ground around 18months ago till I started the 'real' hills :lol: . Now its nothing more then a speedbump on my way to/from Black Mt, Ainslie etc :P
Haven't taken em on yet. Is Ainslie easier?

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:13 am

JV911 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Thanks for posting - it's gratifying that our nation's capital is actually showing some leadership.

speaking of ministers, i met the honourable tony abbott at west head today and we spoke for a few minutes. seems like a nice bloke and he has good taste...he rides a hillbrick! :D
Sorry to break it to you but the bloke is not a minister. There was an election in 2007, and his side lost.

Edited for :P

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:54 am

Fletcher wrote:Sorry to break it to you but the bloke is not a minister. There was an election in 2007, and his side lost.

ok ok former minister...and current shadow minister, federal member and leader of the opposition :P
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Fletcher wrote:
HAKS wrote:
Yes.

Only kidding. :P It's easier on the brakes. It's harder on the body.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm

JV911 wrote:
Fletcher wrote:Sorry to break it to you but the bloke is not a minister. There was an election in 2007, and his side lost.

ok ok former minister...and current shadow minister, federal member and leader of the opposition :P
Or were you referring the the fact that he was at one stage studying to be a priest? :lol:

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:
JV911 wrote:

Or were you referring the the fact that he was at one stage studying to be a priest? :lol:
I know I was being a little pedant. Yes, I know he was all those things at some stage. BTW, Hillbrick are local aren't they?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 pm

Fletcher wrote:
HAKS wrote:
I find Black Mtn easier. Mainly as it is steepest at the start then flattens out. Ainslie is the opposite with it kicking up towards the end and always catches me out. Stromlo would be my fav thou as i can actually comprehend doing it multiple times in one ride :P