Parramatta river cycle way

peter

Parramatta river cycle way

Postby peter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 am

Is there a cycle way along Parramatta River that can get you from Parramatta to Olympic Park? I know there's one under M4 that I have cycled on many times, I also heard people talking about going to Olympic Park via the river but I can't find any decent section of cycle way from Google or Nearmap. Is there one?

Cheers!

sogood

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:25 am

There is. You'll have to cross over to the north side at some point though and needs to be access via the Armory in Olympic/Bicentennial Park.
http://www.opencyclemap.org/
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:40 am

From SOP head off to the Armory, cross Silverwater Bridge, follow bike path to get to the Rydalmere side until it ends where there's a pipeline bridge on your left. Carry the bike (yes, I know it's not as friendly as Cooks River), and the other side should land you at the Rosehill Industrial Area, past the racecourse, through Harris Park and Parramatta.

Ideally they could have extended the Silverwater bike path from the Armory to the other side of the bridge and just make a wee bridge across the mangroves into that industrial area instead of crossing the river twice.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:45 am

CommuRider wrote:Ideally they could... just make a wee bridge across the mangroves into that industrial area instead of crossing the river twice.
Very few riders made it across the trial "wee" bridge in time past. Most got eaten alive by the mosquitoes and other hungry insects whilst crossing over that mangrove.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 am

Lol. HTFU.

Better then carrying a fully loaded bike up the bridge and down back again, ugh.

Anyway, we have industrial strength mozzie repellent now. And the insects at Bicentennial Park mangroves are far more fiercesome.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 am

Try this

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pa ... River-path

I've used bits of it in the past, but not recently.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:10 am

That looks friendlier.i have heard of the bike path near the UWS campus but can never seem to find it. Improved signage at Rydalmere would help.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Here's a route I've done a few times thanks to MSN for showing me the way the first time. Same as the Bikely map above but shows how I got from the CBD of Sydney out past SOP, past Parramatta and back home to Castle Hill.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:41 pm

CommuRider wrote:That looks friendlier.i have heard of the bike path near the UWS campus but can never seem to find it. Improved signage at Rydalmere would help.
+1 one boogie's route - but you might need to take a map or guide with you because the signage is really hopeless most of the way between rydalmere ferry wharf and Church St Parramatta. The route eastbound from Macarthur St is not signposted and is particularly hard to find (path is hidden right next to the bridge, behind bushes).

The path under James Ruse Drive from Thomas St to the UWS side is better sign-posted.

Also, the east-bound path from South St to the riverside cycleway is not decently sign-posted.

Might be easier to try it west-bound for the first time.

On the positive side, the ugly bit of gravel path around the UWS campus has now been sealed, so it's a much more pleasant ride.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

peter

Postby peter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks guys (and gals)!

It's too hot for outdoor activities today, the routes will definitely come in handy next week when the heat wave goes away.

Cheers!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:52 am

Dilemma for me too. Sooooo want to ride but the dehydration factor for the wee one rates highly up there.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:19 pm

CommuRider wrote:Dilemma for me too. Sooooo want to ride but the dehydration factor for the wee one rates highly up there.
Treat you right for lazy. Up at 5:50am and it's a nice 2+hrs ride before the heat came in. :mrgreen:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 pm

24C is the overnight temperature!!

Really hoping for the rain tomorrow.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:49 pm

They're working on an extension to the cyclepath there at the moment. When you're heading to Parra and are just past the Rydalmere ferry station you have the choice of going up and over the water pipe bridge (no thanks) or heading up to south street. Shortly (which means sometime in the next X years) there should be a through path there which will take you right along the river all the way to UWS. They have already built part of it and it is open, but is pretty much a useless section. Go to the river end of park rd where the postal depot is and you'll see the new bike path. At the moment it only take you to Pike st, so you still have to get back onto South St (which is why I said it's useless), but they are in the process of building more.

Cheers,
David

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks bfv and wk for the updates. I do think it is a critical missing link and all those weekend cyclists at the armory can extend their travels a bit. A Parra to Botany Bay ride is something to look forward to. South St during the weekend should be a breeze.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm

CommuRider wrote:Thanks bfv and wk for the updates. I do think it is a critical missing link and all those weekend cyclists at the armory can extend their travels a bit. A Parra to Botany Bay ride is something to look forward to. South St during the weekend should be a breeze.
Actually they're planning on extending the cyclepath through George Kendall Reserve along the river, bypassing Hope St., and connecting up to the cycle path at West Ryde (near the netball courts). They also plan on fixing up the cyclepath near Rhodes station so there is no on road section there either. This will mean people can ride a huge loop around that section of the river on both sides. What they need now is some more coffee shops/carts to service the cyclists on that route.

David

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:34 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Thanks bfv and wk for the updates. I do think it is a critical missing link and all those weekend cyclists at the armory can extend their travels a bit. A Parra to Botany Bay ride is something to look forward to. South St during the weekend should be a breeze.
Actually they're planning on extending the cyclepath through George Kendall Reserve along the river, bypassing Hope St., and connecting up to the cycle path at West Ryde (near the netball courts). They also plan on fixing up the cyclepath near Rhodes station so there is no on road section there either. This will mean people can ride a huge loop around that section of the river on both sides. What they need now is some more coffee shops/carts to service the cyclists on that route.

David
When it is finished, it promises to make a nice circuit for recreational cyclists. Cycling near the water/river is much nicer than a lot of the other cycleways we get around Sydney.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

ghop0man

Postby ghop0man » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Jen

Postby Jen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:30 pm

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/__data/ ... ochure.pdf this map shows the local paths. Since it was made there is now shared path from the weir at Parramatta Wharf up to Harris St/Macarthur St. From here you can travel either on either side up to James Ruse Drive.

The cafe in UWS at Rydalmere is usually open on a saturday. It quite good for bikes as there is a big grass area next to the tables. Given how crowded the Armory cafe gets on the weekend, this can be a good option for a break.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Boognoss wrote:Here's a route I've done a few times thanks to MSN for showing me the way the first time. Same as the Bikely map above but shows how I got from the CBD of Sydney out past SOP, past Parramatta and back home to Castle Hill.
Sorry to break into this thread like this but how do you do the "Here it is thing", I have been trying since I joined and rejoined with my other names and still can't do it. :?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Apple wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Here's a route I've done a few times thanks to MSN for showing me the way the first time. Same as the Bikely map above but shows how I got from the CBD of Sydney out past SOP, past Parramatta and back home to Castle Hill.
Sorry to break into this thread like this but how do you do the "Here it is thing", I have been trying since I joined and rejoined with my other names and still can't do it. :?
PMed Apple so we don't muck up this thread.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Jen wrote: The cafe in UWS at Rydalmere is usually open on a saturday. It quite good for bikes as there is a big grass area next to the tables. Given how crowded the Armory cafe gets on the weekend, this can be a good option for a break.
Is the food good or is it typical uni cafe fare (ie sausage rolls and meat pies) I think why the Armory is so popular is because they do have interesting food available (though the last time I ate there I wasn't too pleased with their garlic prawns) and they have a wine list. :D

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Unfortunately (for me), I've copped a lot of attitude from the waiters there at the Armory on a number of occasions and vow never go buy anything from them ever again. I go to the Rhodes shopping centre cafes if I really need a caffeine fix (well, now over a month away from coffee).

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Unfortunately (for me), I've copped a lot of attitude from the waiters there at the Armory on a number of occasions and vow never go buy anything from them ever again.
It's not just you. We won't go there again either. Dooley's waterside do a very nice coffee and cake (at the start of the Silverwater Bridge), as does Lillies on the Pond in Bicentennial Park at SOP.

David

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 pm

My friend copped the attitude at Lilies but this is what happens when there is no competition in the vicinity.

Haven't tried Doolies yet. Do I have to be a club member or can I just wander in? Also, will they be opening any cafes on the north bank of the river across the Armory? Where the new development is?