Parramatta river cycle way

Bunged Knee

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Nigel Bisset had posted on youtube of an overview in air about the Subiaco Creek boardwalk construction today.

Looks good.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:09 am

Subiaco Creek bridge re-open as of this morning when I rode through.
Looking at the construction of the missing link, there will be a 90 degree turn onto the bridge from the new section being constructed, and in the mornings with the dew or in wet conditions, it will make it quite slippery.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed May 31, 2017 11:26 pm

tez001 wrote:Subiaco Creek bridge re-open as of this morning when I rode through.
Yes, it`s open.

And I`ve got the BikeNorth newsletter today to state that Subiaco Creek new boardwalk will be officially open on Monday 19th June at 1pm.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 pm

It is now officially opened at 1.45pm. 45 mins late due to chatterbox.

Enjoy the shortcut rides. :)
Last edited by Bunged Knee on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm

The new Subiaco Creek boardwalk was opened today at 1:45. It bypasses a section on South St that was fraught with danger from industrial traffic. Parramatta Park to Olympic Park can now be ridden in much greater safety. Now quite suitable to take the kids.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:01 pm

WooHoo! Finally! It's only taken about a decade!

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Forgot to turn on the Fly12 for opening. So on return ride home later.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Does this new path start at the dead end of the path if heading towards Parra without chucking a right onto South St? Where does it run to?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Yes,QV. Now you don`t have to ride up on South Street and Pike Street to face the traffic anymore.
Pic of my Garmin route map.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:11 am

Excellent! Now all we need is Gasworks bridge underpassed.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 am

Nice to see that one of the "priority" missing links has finally been built. As Hergest says now to undermine Gasworks Bridge & build the path through Stewart St reserve

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Gasworks underpass is about to resume construction... once Charles St wharf upgrade done. On the wishful thinking side, the link from Duck River Cycleway north to Wilson Park would be a tremendous win for commuters in suburbs from Auburn south to Regents Park.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:55 am

I rode though the new boardwalk this morning for the first time. It's good but the signage really needs work. It's frustrating as I'm sure it will end up with a full team of council workers going in for a few hours which is such a waste when it should have been done in the first place.

The sign that said it was a dead end has been removed and a new sign saying Subiaco Bridge has been put up. However the sign for Parramatta and the sign for the Parramatta Valley Way still points up to Kite and South Streets. If I was new to the area and wanted to follow the pleasant off road paths I would end up riding on the road as a sign saying Subiaco Creek would be meaningless without local knowledge.

At the end of the new work the t-junction with the old path comes up very abruptly as everything is a dull grey colour. It needs a caution sign 10 metres before the end and also a sign saying which way to Parramatta at the junction.

This is really basic stuff and it's disappointing that so much time, effort and money have been put into this but obvious glaring omissions have been made.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am

Hergest wrote:I
At the end of the new work the t-junction with the old path comes up very abruptly as everything is a dull grey colour. It needs a caution sign 10 metres before the end and also a sign saying which way to Parramatta at the junction.
Very valid point. You will have riders from Subiaco Ck merging into the old cycle paths. Who has the right of way?
Hopefully there will be minimal traffic from South Street.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 pm

caneye wrote:
Hergest wrote:I
Very valid point. You will have riders from Subiaco Ck merging into the old cycle paths. Who has the right of way?
Hopefully there will be minimal traffic from South Street.
There are numerous t-junctions along the Parramatta River Cycleway. For example, where the Melrose Park boardwalk enters George Kendall Reserve (Ermington). In the latter case, there's a significant downhill run north of the T-intersection that make it pretty foolish of anyone exiting from the boardwalk to not take great care. And the Pike St exit is also a dangerous T with a downhill approach.

To date, these have not needed warning signs or any other treatment.

Legally, there is no such thing as "right of way" in the Australian Road Rules (or NSW version). The Road Rules appy to shared paths. Rule 73 obliges a rider approaching from a terminating section of a T-intersection without stop signs to give way to riders on the continuing paths. And any rider must give way to a pedestrian anywhere on the T-intersection. The other rider, or even pedestrian, does not have a "right of way".

Everyone still has an obligation not to be reckless or negligent in their behavior. Moreover, you have to realise that you should expect children to be using these cycleways, and to do quite unpredictable and even stupid things. Teenagers on BMX bikes or skateboards are likely to have little-to-no knowledge or respect for the road rules. Just remember, you are the able-bodied adult, and have to behave to compensate for the possibility of improperly supervised children, ignorant or risk taking teenagers and infirm elderly people.

In reality, the legal system can't fix broken limbs, tendons, joints or necks. In a collision, they will give way, and in all likelihood will never be the same again. If you don't want to put up with a life-long movement limitation or arthritis pains at an early age, just use common sense and slow down whenever approaching these. Any money you might get from suing somebody will never be adequate compensation for the hospital trip and long-term limitations.

According to council officers at the opening, Parramatta Council have decided so far against installing any staggered u-rail barriers or speed bumps etc... If cyclists don't do anything stupid to provoke complaints and compel council action, then it will remain that way. Don't approach it like it's racetrack, and ride at a low enough speed that you can stop to avoid any collision involving yourself.
WombatK

slowK

Postby slowK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Hergest wrote:I rode though the new boardwalk this morning for the first time. It's good but the signage really needs work.

The sign that said it was a dead end has been removed and a new sign saying Subiaco Bridge has been put up. However the sign for Parramatta and the sign for the Parramatta Valley Way still points up to Kite and South Streets. If I was new to the area and wanted to follow the pleasant off road paths I would end up riding on the road as a sign saying Subiaco Creek would be meaningless without local knowledge.

I rode it for the first time this morning too. Exactly the same observations about the signage (I don't ride that way very often, so was not quite as familiar with the exact routes). It's nice though. I thought the surface was grippy enough given the morning dew, and not "rattly" (like the bridge connecting Rhodes to Meadowbank).

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:12 am

wombatK wrote: There are numerous t-junctions along the Parramatta River Cycleway. For example, where the Melrose Park boardwalk enters George Kendall Reserve (Ermington). In the latter case, there's a significant downhill run north of the T-intersection that make it pretty foolish of anyone exiting from the boardwalk to not take great care. And the Pike St exit is also a dangerous T with a downhill approach.

To date, these have not needed warning signs or any other treatment.

Legally, there is no such thing as "right of way" in the Australian Road Rules (or NSW version). The Road Rules appy to shared paths. Rule 73 obliges a rider approaching from a terminating section of a T-intersection without stop signs to give way to riders on the continuing paths. And any rider must give way to a pedestrian anywhere on the T-intersection. The other rider, or even pedestrian, does not have a "right of way".

Everyone still has an obligation not to be reckless or negligent in their behavior. Moreover, you have to realise that you should expect children to be using these cycleways, and to do quite unpredictable and even stupid things. Teenagers on BMX bikes or skateboards are likely to have little-to-no knowledge or respect for the road rules. Just remember, you are the able-bodied adult, and have to behave to compensate for the possibility of improperly supervised children, ignorant or risk taking teenagers and infirm elderly people.

In reality, the legal system can't fix broken limbs, tendons, joints or necks. In a collision, they will give way, and in all likelihood will never be the same again. If you don't want to put up with a life-long movement limitation or arthritis pains at an early age, just use common sense and slow down whenever approaching these. Any money you might get from suing somebody will never be adequate compensation for the hospital trip and long-term limitations.

According to council officers at the opening, Parramatta Council have decided so far against installing any staggered u-rail barriers or speed bumps etc... If cyclists don't do anything stupid to provoke complaints and compel council action, then it will remain that way. Don't approach it like it's racetrack, and ride at a low enough speed that you can stop to avoid any collision involving yourself.
While I agree with what you say, I mentioned about this specific section requiring a warning sign as I found it to be a real surprise when I came to the end of the new path. It struck me as being a very abrupt junction. It could be because the surrounding area is as I said, all grey and rather dull which made it hard to see that the t-junction was there. It could be of course that it was the first time I rode the path so didn't know exactly at what point it would end.

It would be nice if no other traffic came from the old path direction on South Street. However with the signage as it is at the old junction still sending the Parra Valley Trail traffic up that way I can see areas of conflict arising.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:50 am

It's no more abrupt than the Melrose Park example, and visibility is IMHO better at the South St end of Subiaco creek (vision to the right at George Kendall Reserve is impeded by trees). If you couldn't make out the T-intersection at Subiaco Creek bridge properly, just slow down or stop until you can.

Conflict only arises if two people make a mistake (e.g. someone tearing through from South St, and you riding off the boardwalk T without allowing for that possibility). Just make sure you're not making a mistake, so there will be no conflict.

I expect Council is likely to put in better signposting (including amendment to the one at Pike St exit) in the near future. But it really shouldn't need any more than that.
WombatK

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:56 am

The corner in question makes me a bit nervous as some heading west take it wide to get around the corner at a reasonable speed.

The path was also closed near Wilde Ave this morning however appeared to be temporary with just a traffic barricade. When I rejoined at Marsden rd heading into Parramatta park I noticed blue lines have been painted along the edges of the share path.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:00 pm

wombatK wrote:
I expect Council is likely to put in better signposting (including amendment to the one at Pike St exit) in the near future. But it really shouldn't need any more than that.
Which should have been done in the first place. Hopefully nobody collides with someone else at the junction as they are following the signs which have been poorly implemented.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Still no signs up. If you're new to the area and are coming from the Parramatta direction you will have no idea at all when you ride past the new cycleway that it is a safe way to avoid Pike and South Streets. Woeful.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Hergest wrote:Still no signs up. If you're new to the area and are coming from the Parramatta direction you will have no idea at all when you ride past the new cycleway that it is a safe way to avoid Pike and South Streets. Woeful.
A couple of cyclists have figured it out when I reappeared in front of them.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:59 pm

find_bruce wrote: A couple of cyclists have figured it out when I reappeared in front of them.

Maybe they thought you had been teleported? Parra council clearly wants to keep it a secret.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 am

Yay! Proper signage is up and old misleading ones removed. Only took 3 months.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 am

It's pretty hard to get any small skilled work done in less time ... tradies got so much work they can cherry pick the big high profit jobs.

There has been a very noticeable increase in Cyclist nd pedestrian use of the shared path since the section opened. And somewhat to my surprise, the new BBQ and tables just east of rydalmere wharf is proving very popular.

A public toilet would be wonderful but so far Parramatta city council should be congratulated on a great job.
WombatK