SOP Safety Alert Thread

Hergest

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Fri May 20, 2016 8:20 am

Not that I shall use it much as I like going around the bay but the time is close.....

Hopefully all the construction will be done on the bus interchange so the footpath can be re-opened. They were certainly working frantically this morning so let's hope so.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri May 20, 2016 9:14 am

Looks like there will be a new fast Strava Segment on that bridge soon! :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri May 20, 2016 9:20 am

Haven't seen any bus lane cameras go up yet, so you can fully expect to see lots of cars and/or trucks using it illegally. Sure the cops will make a salutary appearance over the opening weeks, wagging fingers at miscreants, but when the dust settles....
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Fri May 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I said to the guys at work, to the closest hour from it opening, how long do we think it'll take for a segment to pop up..

Wonder how useful it'll actually be at the Hill Road end, since you will have to run the gauntlet of the Wentworth point residents..

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Does this mean the foreshore path at Homebush bay on the Rhodes side will be open again for Monday, sick of being diverted onto busy side streets around the railway station.

JDH

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun May 22, 2016 6:04 pm

jdh500 wrote:Does this mean the foreshore path at Homebush bay on the Rhodes side will be open again for Monday, sick of being diverted onto busy side streets around the railway station.

JDH
Nope. Still closed today. Really no justification ... putting community center contractors convenience way ahead of public safety.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 pm

wombatK wrote:Haven't seen any bus lane cameras go up yet, so you can fully expect to see lots of cars and/or trucks using it illegally. Sure the cops will make a salutary appearance over the opening weeks, wagging fingers at miscreants, but when the dust settles....
It`s been installed. Ignorant drivers will get infringement fine in the mail but what about stolen or no plates on vehicles.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Bunged Knee wrote: It`s been installed. Ignorant drivers will get infringement fine in the mail but what about stolen or no plates on vehicles.

Thanks for that BK. I think that should be effective enough. Given the number of overseas buyers of units in the vicinity,
I'd be more concerned about drivers who just intend to skip the country before paying any fine. But elsewhere bus lane
cameras are pretty effective, so let's hope they'll work here too.
WombatK

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:37 am

wombatK wrote: Thanks for that BK. I think that should be effective enough. Given the number of overseas buyers of units in the vicinity,
I'd be more concerned about drivers who just intend to skip the country before paying any fine. But elsewhere bus lane
cameras are pretty effective, so let's hope they'll work here too.
the nearby hulker st busway has been in place for 18 or more years and has no cameras, yet it is very rarely misused. so I don't see the bridge being a major issue.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 am

tubby74 wrote: the nearby hulker st busway has been in place for 18 or more years and has no cameras, yet it is very rarely misused. so I don't see the bridge being a major issue.
You're kidding right? The bit between Australia Ave and Hill Road - I must see a car at least every 10 min. use this busway. Rangers regularly patrol this area and fine them, but it doesn't seem to deter people using it.

T.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue May 24, 2016 5:13 pm

tubby74 wrote: the nearby hulker st busway has been in place for 18 or more years and has no cameras, yet it is very rarely misused. so I don't see the bridge being a major issue.
You mean Holker St busway at Oly Park. I haven`t seen it happening but from Holker st into Newington Road Silverwater busway to Silverwater Rd that have no bus lane camera had been used as a rat run in weekday evenings from after 4pm.

It sometimes have police waiting for rat runners who use the bus lanes but not every weekdays.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:58 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
You're kidding right? The bit between Australia Ave and Hill Road - I must see a car at least every 10 min. use this busway. Rangers regularly patrol this area and fine them, but it doesn't seem to deter people using it.

T.
that's the one. I walked my dogs over that most days for 10 years and never saw anyone other than rangers and prison transport buses. now I cycle through there to work or to the bmx track, again see no one.
going by some of the rants happening on the Rhodes community facebook pages, it'll be war on shopping trolleys that will be the big issue.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat May 28, 2016 4:09 pm

tubby74 wrote: I walked my dogs over that most days for 10 years and never saw anyone other than rangers and prison transport buses. now I cycle through there to work or to the bmx track, again see no one.
going by some of the rants happening on the Rhodes community facebook pages, it'll be war on shopping trolleys that will be the big issue.
Probably not every 10 minutes, but it's not uncommon to see the Hulker busway being used illegally in peak hour. I've occasionally seen HP cars there catching out the miscreants. Bennelong Bridge is a designated T-way, and the camera fine should ensure proper use.

As for a war on shopping trolleys, bring it on !!!

But really, my pet peeve and safety concern at SOP is the number of motorists who flout the bus-only right turn at the Dawn Fraser Ave and Edwin Flack Ave intersection. Those who do it are clearly impatient and inconsiderate drivers, often not looking for cyclists and edging out across the stop line. I see someone doing it almost every time I ride by there, and have never seen the plods out enforcing it.
WombatK

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Sat May 28, 2016 5:36 pm

wombatK wrote:But really, my pet peeve and safety concern at SOP is the number of motorists who flout the bus-only right turn at the Dawn Fraser Ave and Edwin Flack Ave intersection. Those who do it are clearly impatient and inconsiderate drivers, often not looking for cyclists and edging out across the stop line. I see someone doing it almost every time I ride by there, and have never seen the plods out enforcing it.
Oh they enforce it alright. Seen them there a few times catching people. Serves them right. I wish they'd turn up early one morning and get all the riders running the Edwin Flack/Old Hill LInk red light though. They'd probably need half a police station to grab them all though. I've seen a group of about 50 riders run that red before.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 pm

On Friday, the t-way camera's had covers over them. Maybe the signage approaching the bridge is not up to scratch, and motorists
are being given a let-off.
WombatK

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:35 pm

wombatK wrote:On Friday, the t-way camera's had covers over them. Maybe the signage approaching the bridge is not up to scratch, and motorists
are being given a let-off.
The cameras installed is not in operational until August and there was few rat runs on this bridge.

More info in SMH. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bennelong-bri ... piexx.html

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Bike path will be closed to riders on 3rd July between 6am and 11am. Between Silverwater bridge and Olympic Park wharf.
Due to running race.

It's been sign posted along this route.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:07 pm

rheicel wrote:Looks like there will be a new fast slow Strava Segment on that bridge soon atm! :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
Rode up on Bennelong Bridge T-Way today to find a father walking with her young daughter on her bike and not using the share path. :shock: :shock: :roll: What the? It`s not a father`s good idea to let her ride it there....

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:56 am

She wanted to get a good time on the segment.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:51 pm

I rode it for the first time yesterday arvo. The shared path is way too narrow with the volume of pedestrians on the path. I ended up doing the drop where the concrete barriers end at the western and just hit the road from there.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Warning to anyone riding along the Hill Rd cycle path on the West side of Hill Rd, SOP.

If you go to overtake anyone on the dirt because peds are all over the whole path, be careful of the semi-buried large black plastic pipe there on the west side of the path running parallel. I hit it and went down fairly hard, giving me 5 stitches above my eyebrow, a swollen cheek, plus many other grazes. It was one of those crashes where I momentarily didn't know what happened. I was probably only going 20km/h at the time.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Hi ... 9705?hl=en

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Sorry to hear that, nobody. :( Hope you heal up fast. New helmet?

That momentary confusion I can vividly relate to. I had a similar experience on some oil that a bus had sprayed on lane 1 of three heading down the hill to The Spit Bridge. I'd have been doing somewhere between 30 and 40km/hr. Dabbed the brakes lightly as I could see the traffic slowing at the bottom of the hill, and then it was "Huh? :? " and then "Oh! :shock: " as I hit the ground.

Long story short they carted me off to hospital for observation overnight as the helmet indicated the marbles had copped a good rattling. Firies dealt with the oil, cops turned up to breath test me, and my revenge on the buses took the form of causing a major traffic snarl that made the evening news.

I'm still super edgy every time I go down that hill after dark, though, and that incident was 8 years ago!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:20 am

trailgumby wrote:Sorry to hear that, nobody. :( Hope you heal up fast. New helmet?
Thanks TG. :) Yes, the helmet took a mild hit as it was side on. So it mainly moved out of the way so my face could be slammed. The helmet is about 5 years old, so I was thinking about replacing it anyway.
trailgumby wrote:That momentary confusion I can vividly relate to... and then "Oh! :shock: " as I hit the ground.
Yeah, the falls that are so fast you don't have time to react are the ones I hate. I suppose that's the cost of riding an unstable vehicle. I often think I'm going to be hit by a car, but that has only happened once (by a deliberate act, like your experience) about 33 years ago. All the recent stuff has been my own fault.
trailgumby wrote:I'm still super edgy every time I go down that hill after dark, though, and that incident was 8 years ago!
Nothing like a bad crash to change your mindset. I doubt I'll be passing peds off road at speed any time soon. Just a comedy of errors and/or a bad situation.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:53 am

Nobody wrote:Warning to anyone riding along the Hill Rd cycle path on the West side of Hill Rd, SOP.

If you go to overtake anyone on the dirt because peds are all over the whole path, be careful of the semi-buried large black plastic pipe there on the west side of the path running parallel.
This problem looks to be fixed now. I wrote to Sydney Olympic Park Authority and they asked a contractor to remove the exposed pipes, which appears to have been done. Thanks to SOPA for their fast action on this.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:26 am

The annual close-down on many SOP streets is beginning, for the car race in December.

Please take care, many roads will be completely shut, and on others the bike lane will be compromised. The race is first week of Dec, and removal of the road closures usually isn't done till about 20 Dec or even later.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3274999 ... Sydney-500