M4 Safety Alert Thread

Hergest

Re: M4 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 am

The last section of the M4 path under the flyover by Harris Park/Parramatta is closed for the widening, you have to detour through a couple of back streets. Signage is good so you shouldn't go astray.

Woodville Road pavement was shut this morning as they were doing the work on the collapsed wall. Usually this remains open with the temporary fencing being the barrier between the path and the workzone. However, the traffic controller said that I wasn't able to go through today, she had no idea how to get around there :roll:
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 am

Asked in another thread, but which road do you need to detour off the M4 path around the Harris Park area? Good st and Woodvile rd?

Just want to be aware as I use it most weekends.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:59 am

tez001 wrote:Asked in another thread, but which road do you need to detour off the M4 path around the Harris Park area? Good st and Woodvile rd?

Just want to be aware as I use it most weekends.
The bit that's closed is only a small section so the detour is a simple one linked to below.

https://goo.gl/maps/qCc7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Came across a magpie on that detour section. It started swooping half way along Allen St and continued until after the roundabout on Good St.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:10 pm

tez001 wrote:Came across a magpie on that detour section. It started swooping half way along Allen St and continued until after the roundabout on Good St.
Yep, it's had a go at me about 3 times now. It's one of those that gets close enough to spook you but so far hasn't made contact with my ears or anything else.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:39 pm

I was there on Sat, not a maggie in sight. Maybe it doesn't think 'bents are bikes....

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:32 pm

zebee wrote:I was there on Sat, not a maggie in sight. Maybe it doesn't think 'bents are bikes....
And I went through on Sunday..... nada, zip, nuttin' must be a 'bent thing :mrgreen:

must prefer Lynskey's :P
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:20 am

This morning going over the railway bridge above Woodville Road (near Wallace Street) I notice that the shared path has been restored and is a heck of a lot wider than it used to be. Good improvement.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 am

^ where exactly?

This part?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Wo ... 7b06ededbb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:48 pm

thomas1987 wrote:^ where exactly?

This part?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Wo ... 7b06ededbb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That part, yes.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:01 pm

The first and last time I rode there, they blocked the entire path (due to the renovation) so I had to make a detour through Merrylands station and Holroyd Gardens Park. Will check it out next time I ride along the Parramatta River

phil_

Postby phil_ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:55 pm

That entire section is now as it was before and it doesn't feel any wider; even the bumpy section under the bridge is still there (why couldn't they repave it?)

Someone's even left a busted car tyre underneath the bridge so it's something to look out for.

I cut across Woodville Road to go back down Wallace Street for my usual route. Athough Crescent Street is a decent climb and a Strava segment on the way down (of which I'm trying to KOM lol).

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Yep, that path is the same width but now that there's no plants growing in the new retaining wall it seems much wider. At some point a year or so ago the plants grew out so far that they would scratch your head as you rode down there and the usable path was barely more than the width of a bike.

Interestingly the other side of Woodville Road is the proper designated shared path and that resembles a bombed out street in the Middle East, it's a dreadful bit of pavement.

unbent

Postby unbent » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:26 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
zebee wrote:I was there on Sat, not a maggie in sight. Maybe it doesn't think 'bents are bikes....
And I went through on Sunday..... nada, zip, nuttin' must be a 'bent thing :mrgreen:

Went at me a few times on Monday including one contact.. Maybe it's back from holidays or an unbent thing

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm

unbent wrote:
recumbenteer wrote:

Went at me a few times on Monday including one contact.. Maybe it's back from holidays or an unbent thing
Hmm... maybe if we can find where it clocks on for work on a Monday morning we can offer it a new job.... Swooping people who drop glass on bikepaths maybe

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Can anyone confirm that there is a section of the eastbound M4, maybe around Mamie Rd area, that presently has no breakdown / cycle lane due to road works. If there is no cycle lane on a section, anyone know the best detour around the area?
FPR Jubilado Bludger

skydance

Postby skydance » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 pm

I rode M4 last Sunday.
Cycle lane is there, but somewhat narrow, down to 30 (ish) cm. No problems riding, though I had to go to hoods instead of aerobars for approximately 30 seconds.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:43 am

Went through the Holroyd section of this today and just after the diversion heading west there is a cage built over the path and narrows the width so take care in that section.

Also further along there is a sign which says further diversions will be in place however I'm not sure where. My only guess is the section along the sports ground down to the diversion at Harris Park?

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:52 am

Riding through the path today it appears that there will be a diversion in place for the section which links the M4 path to the Woodville Rd / Railway pde SUP.

It appears the diversion will possible follow the railway line on the west side perhaps just before the Holroyd sports ground. I'm only guessing this as there is no way to cross back over to the east side of Railway Pde unless at Merrylands / Guildford station. Or the wooden bridge.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 pm

I think that planned diversion will actually be when they temporarily close the tunnel that cuts under the M4 and gets you to Wentworthville opposite the Holroyd Sportsground. The closure of that tunnel has been planned for a while but I was never sure when it was going to be. I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any plans to close the path that runs down from Burnett and joins on to the bottom of Woodville Road.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:26 am

Could be that, there were two signs I saw, one was at the turn off to wrap around to Woodville Rd which mentioned diversions will be in place from May 2016 and the other indicating a diversion off the path at the Fox St exit (opposite the tunnel that takes you to Westmean / Parra)

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:27 am

Well Tez you were right, they have closed the path at the bottom of the descent from Burnett close to the Holroyd Sportsground. I assume they are going to rip out the short section of soundwall on the motorway. The detour is really easy though, just go right down Fox Street , left into Robert then left again back onto the path.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Hergest wrote:Well Tez you were right, they have closed the path at the bottom of the descent from Burnett close to the Holroyd Sportsground. I assume they are going to rip out the short section of soundwall on the motorway. The detour is really easy though, just go right down Fox Street , left into Robert then left again back onto the path.
Noticed that this morning when I rode through. A real short detour. However the detour signs are a bit confusing, I wonder if there are more planned closures as when I was coming down from Burnett St, the diversion sign at the intersection of Fox st and Robert st was directing cyclists to turn right, instead of left.

There are also diversion signs at the Woodville Rd turn off, so I not sure if there will be a closure there.

I emailed Westconnex and they only mentioned the diversions which have already been put in place.

http://www.westconnex.com.au/explore_th ... urces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:39 am

Westconnex map has been updated with the additional closure around Holroyd Sportsground

http://www.westconnex.com.au/documents/ ... ch2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that they make cyclists divert around other streets instead of using the most direct route along Robert St.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:51 am

tez001 wrote:Westconnex map has been updated with the additional closure around Holroyd Sportsground

http://www.westconnex.com.au/documents/ ... ch2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that they make cyclists divert around other streets instead of using the most direct route along Robert St.

I went through early this morning along Robert Street. I can see why that is for pedestrians only as when the gates to the park are shut there is no ramp in the pavement and you have to squeeze through a gap and then ride a couple of metres across the grass to get on the path. No big issue of course but if that was the official bike detour then I'm sure there would be complaints. It's good to see I reckon as it means someone is thinking about things and keeping you on bike paths or streets where bike paths remain accesible.

I wish I could say the same of the tossers doing the path at Meadowbank though. The hole that was left open for months on the oil pipe has been filled and concreted back over for at least a fortnight now but no bugger can be arsed going out there with a couple of barrows full of soil to fill in the gaps at the side. Perhaps the council are leaving it for a job next spring?