Sydney weather this morning!!!

g-boaf

Re: Sydney weather this morning!!!

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:53 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am usually up for commuting regardless of the weather, but tomorrows warning has me reconsidering
HEAVY RAIN which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is likely for some parts of the Illawarra, Sydney Metropolitan, Central Coast and Blue Mountains during Wednesday. Widespread moderate to heavy rainfall rainfall is expected in these areas, but the most intense rainfall is likely to be more localised during Wednesday morning and afternoon.

Rainfall is expected to ease late Wednesday and early Thursday as the low pressure system moves further offshore.

DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are likely along the coastal Illawarra and Sydney fringe from late Wednesday morning, and extending to the Central Coast and the Hunter coastal fringe during Wednesday evening. DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are likely about the Barrington Tops on Wednesday evening.

Winds are expected to ease from Thursday morning as the low moves further away from the coast.
Come on - you can do it. :lol: Er, I think I'm not.

I made sure to get some kms yesterday and today - I'll take a rest tomorrow.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:Come on - you can do it. :lol: Er, I think I'm not.

If I could guarantee 90 km tail winds, hold onto your strava segments & watch me go, 60 km headwinds, bleah & 60 k swirly cross winds through the concrete canyons of the CBD, foregetaboutit
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Come on - you can do it. :lol: Er, I think I'm not.

If I could guarantee 90 km tail winds, hold onto your strava segments & watch me go, 60 km headwinds, bleah & 60 k swirly cross winds through the concrete canyons of the CBD, foregetaboutit
I don't blame you. The reports even have Police telling people to not even drive to work! :shock: I'd hazard a guess that most people will still be driving, what else can they do. Work must go on and so many corporate managers must see people sitting at desks...

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 pm

I absolutely wimped out. Watching twitter and the ABC live blog there are a couple of places I reckon I'd have drowned if I tried to take the trike through.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12 pm

I did a daytrip to Brisbane today for work. Flights were held up for a bit getting out of Sydney due to tarmac operations being put on hold due to the lightning and heavy rain.

The rain was horizontal ... inside the carpark :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 am

trailgumby wrote:I did a daytrip to Brisbane today for work. Flights were held up for a bit getting out of Sydney due to tarmac operations being put on hold due to the lightning and heavy rain.

The rain was horizontal ... inside the carpark :shock:
That sounds bad. :shock: It's a bit wet still this morning, but nothing like yesterday. I rode to work today fairly slowly - no point in rushing in those conditions.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:37 pm

zebee wrote:I absolutely wimped out. Watching twitter and the ABC live blog there are a couple of places I reckon I'd have drowned if I tried to take the trike through.
Rode to work yesterday and debris was well over trike height on the Shrimpton Creek path.

Given the mess I think it would have been turn back time well before getting to the creek proper.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Sydney weather back to normal.
There is a pile of silt across the path at the bottom of Browns Waterhole too. I suggest getting off and walk through it

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:26 am

Yah .. take care going through Browns. An unexpected cyclo-cross obstacle on the west side (vimeira Rd side near the crossing).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 pm

More severe weather today and Thursday night. Particularly take care on the M4 cycle way around Harris Park area, lots of mud and debris there.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:12 pm

There's lots of silt and leaves still across the path behind Artarmon/St Leonards after the weekend rain. Don't know who is supposed to clean it? There's certainly been no attempt made yet. Closest I've come to binning it last night hitting about 30mm of soft sand across the whole path after rounding a corner. Other than that, yesterday was a great evening for a ride!

Jim

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pm

familyguy wrote:There's lots of silt and leaves still across the path behind Artarmon/St Leonards after the weekend rain. Don't know who is supposed to clean it?There's certainly been no attempt made yet. Closest I've come to binning it last night hitting about 30mm of soft sand across the whole path after rounding a corner. Other than that, yesterday was a great evening for a ride!

Jim
Try council of that area with this info. Or use the https://www.snapsendsolve.com/.

Don`t know if this app will works for some councils.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 pm

familyguy wrote:There's lots of silt and leaves still across the path behind Artarmon/St Leonards after the weekend rain. Don't know who is supposed to clean it? There's certainly been no attempt made yet. Closest I've come to binning it last night hitting about 30mm of soft sand across the whole path after rounding a corner. Other than that, yesterday was a great evening for a ride!

Jim
I face the same every morning and afternoon in at least a few places. :( I've got wider tyres (26mm) but they aren't that wide by today's standards. I just slow right down in those areas.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:21 am

The mudguards on the trike keep slipping so I have taken them off. This means that I have to slow down in mud or I get majorly splattered by the stuff! Three wheeler don't care about traction but three wheeler rider does care about mud stripes on self and on mirror.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:04 pm

zebee wrote:The mudguards on the trike keep slipping so I have taken them off. This means that I have to slow down in mud or I get majorly splattered by the stuff! Three wheeler don't care about traction but three wheeler rider does care about mud stripes on self and on mirror.

Rotovelo! :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:44 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
zebee wrote:The mudguards on the trike keep slipping so I have taken them off. This means that I have to slow down in mud or I get majorly splattered by the stuff! Three wheeler don't care about traction but three wheeler rider does care about mud stripes on self and on mirror.

Rotovelo! :mrgreen:
What if I do put the modified rear rack in Rotovelo for shopping/parcel pick up trips and the front wheels might lift off the roads? :)

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:53 am

familyguy wrote:There's lots of silt and leaves still across the path behind Artarmon/St Leonards after the weekend rain. Don't know who is supposed to clean it? There's certainly been no attempt made yet. Closest I've come to binning it last night hitting about 30mm of soft sand across the whole path after rounding a corner. Other than that, yesterday was a great evening for a ride!

Jim
Is that spot at Artarmon Oval???

There's a rider down this morning and an ambo was called. More info from SydneyCyclist.

Pic from Bernard.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:05 pm

No, wasn't there. That's the stretch just behind the Willoughby Leisure Centre, isn't it? The areas I mentioned (and did write to council for some clarification but haven't heard squat) were at the two underpasses (Herbert St and Pac Hwy). That picture looks clean in comparison to the stuff I rode through. I will include that on my next email, as I do sometimes go through that area and it can get slippery after being damp.

Jim

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:14 pm

^^ Ok, thanks for the clarification.
And I don't ride thru this spot.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am

By the time I finished my ride this morning (which was early), it had already reached 35ºC. :shock:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:By the time I finished my ride this morning (which was early), it had already reached 35ºC. :shock:
More committed than me g-boaf. I had planned a ride this morning but at 6:30 it was already 24º & forecast to be over 30 by 8 am. I figure I will break my 2019 duck tomorrow
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:
g-boaf wrote:By the time I finished my ride this morning (which was early), it had already reached 35ºC. :shock:
More committed than me g-boaf. I had planned a ride this morning but at 6:30 it was already 24º & forecast to be over 30 by 8 am. I figure I will break my 2019 duck tomorrow
Hopefully it'll be cooler by tomorrow. It's still clear weather and a bit of heat isn't going to stop me. Trick is just to leave early and finish the ride early.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Yes it was 32 deg at 8.30am. :shock:

Probably not a good idea to ride 100km but I was with half a dozen other idiots. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:59 pm

biker jk wrote:Yes it was 32 deg at 8.30am. :shock:

Probably not a good idea to ride 100km but I was with half a dozen other idiots. :lol:

You shouldn't have spoken so soon, looks like there is going to be a week of rain coming. :roll:

Still, it's a welcome change from stifling overnight temperatures.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Fully abandoning mornings of late. Get home about 6, get on the bike for 1-1.5 hours, much nicer.