Sydney weather this morning!!!

familyguy

Re: Sydney weather this morning!!!

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 am

Great morning yesterday. Slightly cool, but nothing a base and light arm 'warmers' (more like sun sleeves, these) didnt sort for the first 15km. Home after 40km and a little sitting at North Head, finally a nice day out again. I've been having too many bad days out of late!

Jim

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am

The weather this weeks looks to be pretty good. I guess in time, we will be posting up how hot it is, and cant wait for summer to be over :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 am

tez001 wrote:The weather this weeks looks to be pretty good. I guess in time, we will be posting up how hot it is, and cant wait for summer to be over :)
You sir are a modern day Hanrahan. Not sure about the cycling equivalent of squatting on your heel & chewing a piece of bark :D

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:26 pm

find_bruce wrote:
tez001 wrote:The weather this weeks looks to be pretty good. I guess in time, we will be posting up how hot it is, and cant wait for summer to be over :)
You sir are a modern day Hanrahan. Not sure about the cycling equivalent of squatting on your heel & chewing a piece of bark :D

Yep,

".....we'll all be rooned......"
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:21 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
find_bruce wrote:

Yep,

".....we'll all be rooned......"
You should have been here last week..
https://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/ ... ek-0001041

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Hang your head in shame Sir! :lol:

Over in France recently and was loving the balmy 29ºC temperatures in the afternoon. Actually even warmer down in Nice. A bit cool in the mornings up in the mountains at higher altitudes, but it soon warmed up.

Then I get back to Sydney and what do I get, rain, cold (to go along with the cold I got somewhere between Nice, Dubai and Sydney), oh and bloody magpies! I thought I was timing things perfectly, you lot get hammered by the magpies while I enjoy riding overseas in peace. :lol:

It was pretty fine weather today, very nice. :)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:34 pm

No rain today, and no need to comment on the temperature today :lol:
Im just stoked I don't need to clean the bike this weekend :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm

tez001 wrote:No rain today, and no need to comment on the temperature today :lol:
Im just stoked I don't need to clean the bike this weekend :D
Yes, it was nice today. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 am

It is beautiful weather for Spring Cycle 2018! :twisted: :roll:

Surely most people won't bother riding - it is pouring down. I'll be surprised if it eases up.

If anyone is out there, take it easy, there was a nasty accident on the M7 this morning apparently which was apparently someone getting caught out on a wet corner.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:05 pm

I did the 105 km Spring Cycle today. The turn out was ok, but likely the numbers were down on previous years. The weather was ok for the first half but then when we were out at Western Sydney Parklands it pissed down. Lots of standing water on the paths. Had to take it slow. Well done to all who rode today.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:I did the 105 km Spring Cycle today. The turn out was ok, but likely the numbers were down on previous years. The weather was ok for the first half but then when we were out at Western Sydney Parklands it pissed down. Lots of standing water on the paths. Had to take it slow. Well done to all who rode today.
You weren't the guy in the mankini? (Yes, some guy was riding in nothing else but that). Don't know what he was trying to prove. He would not have been grinning if he'd gone down on a slippery corner.

I'm also not sure why a big huge Police motorbike was leading them through along a small cycleway, that's a bit dangerous especially with local residents out walking their dogs.

At least it eased up a bit later on in the morning, it even warmed up.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Nope not me in the mankini. Yeah I wondered about the police motorcycle too. Not sure if it was with the lead group through the Parklands loop since I had my puncture just before it. But yeah those paths aren’t really designed for a motorcycle.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:37 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Nope not me in the mankini. Yeah I wondered about the police motorcycle too. Not sure if it was with the lead group through the Parklands loop since I had my puncture just before it. But yeah those paths aren’t really designed for a motorcycle.
I coincidentally happened to be riding at Parklands as the lead group went through and past me, I actually didn't know the event was coming through there, and was just riding along minding my own business. The rain was absolutely torrential. I didn't see the mankini, but I did see someone in the lead group riding past me with rubber thongs on his feet :shock:

I don't think the motorbikes were leading out the group as such. Just moving along from one road intersection to another to supervise traffic.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:20 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
AndrewCowley wrote:Nope not me in the mankini. Yeah I wondered about the police motorcycle too. Not sure if it was with the lead group through the Parklands loop since I had my puncture just before it. But yeah those paths aren’t really designed for a motorcycle.
I coincidentally happened to be riding at Parklands as the lead group went through and past me, I actually didn't know the event was coming through there, and was just riding along minding my own business. The rain was absolutely torrential. I didn't see the mankini, but I did see someone in the lead group riding past me with rubber thongs on his feet :shock:

I don't think the motorbikes were leading out the group as such. Just moving along from one road intersection to another to supervise traffic.
The motorbike was riding along the canal cycleway. Not good. There are enough problems on there with trailbike riders without a Police one adding to them. And there were no signs warning of it.

I hope that thing didn't go through the underpasses. :shock:

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I only rode the 50k, and was glad I did, as other than a brief shower or two in the city, the worst was some deep puddles and the drenching I got on the way go the train at 5.30 in the morning.

From some pics, the 105k route required detours along Prospect Creek at the underpasses as it was a metre under.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am

don't envy you guys.
i did the 18km river ride with wife and kids. the 10am start meant we avoided the worse of the weather.
was good to see the big crowd at finishing line.

however, i did not enjoy the right turn at HILL ROAD to get to the stadium. there was no "right turn" green arrow so we had to wait for the break in south-bound traffic. this was a common intersection for all rides ending at Olympic Park so there was quite a big group waiting to turn right.

unlike the super friendly cops at Parramatta, the few who were present at the intersection just stood motionless.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:I only rode the 50k, and was glad I did, as other than a brief shower or two in the city, the worst was some deep puddles and the drenching I got on the way go the train at 5.30 in the morning.

From some pics, the 105k route required detours along Prospect Creek at the underpasses as it was a metre under.
Yes that's true. We simply crossed at the lights and joined the pathway across the other side of the creek.

It's a ride that requires a lot of care in general, so adding torrential rain into the mix didn't really effect things much for me. You don't ride it anywhere near flat out even in the dry. I used my heavy clunker commuter road bike with all weather tyres instead of my lightweight weekend bike. That helped too.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 pm

More unsettled weather and plenty of standing water everywhere. :roll: None the less, got in 72km today without getting rained on.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am

g-boaf wrote:More unsettled weather and plenty of standing water everywhere. :roll: None the less, got in 72km today without getting rained on.
Wasn't too bad, apart from the headwind. Saturday was a bit of a roaster though

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Things are finally starting to dry out - the left over puddles are disappearing and we won't need to be cleaning our bikes every day.

I commuted almost 55km today - quite nice.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:52 am

The bike cages in my building at Parramatta only have a couple of bikes in them today.
Maybe the thought of riding home when the forecast is for 37 has put people off

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 am

Pretty nice on the bike at 5.30am heading to work...gonna be a bit warm at 5pm...but i have 2 pubs between work and home :mrgreen:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:20 pm

brumby33 wrote:Pretty nice on the bike at 5.30am heading to work...gonna be a bit warm at 5pm...but i have 2 pubs between work and home :mrgreen:
I'm planning to do 70km commute home - best conditions to ride in. 8)

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:04 pm

I only have 55 but it's due west into the headwind and generally uphill.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 pm

I am usually up for commuting regardless of the weather, but tomorrows warning has me reconsidering
HEAVY RAIN which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is likely for some parts of the Illawarra, Sydney Metropolitan, Central Coast and Blue Mountains during Wednesday. Widespread moderate to heavy rainfall rainfall is expected in these areas, but the most intense rainfall is likely to be more localised during Wednesday morning and afternoon.

Rainfall is expected to ease late Wednesday and early Thursday as the low pressure system moves further offshore.

DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are likely along the coastal Illawarra and Sydney fringe from late Wednesday morning, and extending to the Central Coast and the Hunter coastal fringe during Wednesday evening. DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are likely about the Barrington Tops on Wednesday evening.

Winds are expected to ease from Thursday morning as the low moves further away from the coast.