Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Around this location:

https://goo.gl/maps/PeaohW4Uw2B2

caneye

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby caneye » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 am

g-boaf wrote:Around this location:

https://goo.gl/maps/PeaohW4Uw2B2
thanks for the heads up. that's exactly where we stopped for a short break :shock:

kaniSS

Postby kaniSS » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:08 am

Any of you guys keen on an offroad day over the X-mas break???

Feel like doing a ride from Greystanes Canal all the way to Wylde Bike park. Never been there and I want to really test out the Trek Fuel.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Western Sydney Regional park track, near Horsely Drive - brown snake spotted today:

https://goo.gl/maps/nHeKMNeHMUQ2

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:Western Sydney Regional park track, near Horsely Drive - brown snake spotted today:
I would like to report that said brown snake has indeed moved on today from this section of track.
Rest easy folks, and if it looks like a stick, it might not always be a stick :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:15 pm

MoeJoe wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Western Sydney Regional park track, near Horsely Drive - brown snake spotted today:
I would like to report that said brown snake has indeed moved on today from this section of track.
Rest easy folks, and if it looks like a stick, it might not always be a stick :mrgreen:
The path was swept too - quite nice.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Watch out near Guildford station, they've ripped up some of the shared path - some sort of construction work happening. You can still get through on a bike, but a bright green velomobile might have trouble.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:Watch out near Guildford station, they've ripped up some of the shared path - some sort of construction work happening. You can still get through on a bike, but a bright green velomobile might have trouble.

I know about these excavations, I passed through there on Saturday morning as digging was in progress....
Workers moved barriers so I could pass by....

hopefully there is enough space to pass by.... when the site is "unmanned"
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:32 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Watch out near Guildford station, they've ripped up some of the shared path - some sort of construction work happening. You can still get through on a bike, but a bright green velomobile might have trouble.

I know about these excavations, I passed through there on Saturday morning as digging was in progress....
Workers moved barriers so I could pass by....

hopefully there is enough space to pass by.... when the site is "unmanned"
Oh my lord, the side street near the bridge over the railway at Guildford - they painted lines around the potholes, and blow me down they’ve filled them in. And shock horror, they even resurfaced a few parts!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm

And even bigger shock, that Trenton Road at Guildford is now completely resurfaced. Amazing. No more weaving around all the potholes.

Now, the canal cycleway, there are trees down everywhere along it due to the heavy storm yesterday. Mostly it is clear now, but there is a lot of debris still over the track.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 am

Is it connected all the way from Guildford to Chandos Road through Prospect Reservoir? Used to ride this route all the time but haven't been recently.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Peter,

Yes, you can ride from Guildford Railway Station to the M7 cycleway via the Canal, Reservoir and Chandos Road -
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Rail ... 38!1m0!3e1

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 pm

peter wrote:Is it connected all the way from Guildford to Chandos Road through Prospect Reservoir? Used to ride this route all the time but haven't been recently.
Not after 6pm on the weekdays. The security guy at Prospect Dam likes to close the gates at 6pm (instead of the advertised 6:30pm).

When daylight savings are done, it'll be closed at 4:30pm (meaning he'll close it at 4pm I guess). Then we'll all have to ride on the road on Victoria Street. It's a farce that there is no cycleway between that area that stays open all day.

peter

Postby peter » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks guys, went check it out a couple of weeks ago before the rain set in, except I took a different route to M7 then from there to Guildford. Chandos Road was quite busy, there’s limited shoulder and I had to pull over a few times to let the traffic through. Chandos was a quiet road as I remembered, other than that it was all good. I see the bridge is still not built. :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am

Anyone interested in trying to lobby the operators of Prospect Dam to keep the gates open until 6:30pm again?

They now close at 4:30pm - far too early for many people commuting through there.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:03 pm

g-boaf wrote:Anyone interested in trying to lobby the operators of Prospect Dam to keep the gates open until 6:30pm again?

They now close at 4:30pm - far too early for many people commuting through there.
Okay, no interest. Perhaps I'll suggest they leave it closed all day and everyone can ride on Victoria Street.

foxglove

Postby foxglove » Thu May 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Yesterday, I set off to cycle the loop from Guildford to Prospect Reservoir via Canley Vale, Orphan School Creek and Western Sydney Regional Park to the reservoir. Heading back to Guildford on the canal cycleway at about 1.30pm, the gate was locked just before the descent to the Boral works and the crossing at the Prospect Highway.

Can anyone tell me who operates the gates on the cycleway in this area and where I can find out when they are locked?

Is there another way to get back to Guildford from Prospect reservoir that avoids going on the roads?
Last edited by foxglove on Fri May 31, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm

foxglove wrote:Yesterday, I set off to cycle the loop from Guildford to Prospect Reservoir via Canley Vale, Orphan School Creek and Western Sydney Regional Park to the reservoir. Heading back to Guildford on the canal cycleway at about 1.30pm, the gate was locked just before the decent to the Boral works and the crossing at the Prospect Highway.

Can anyone tell me who operates the gates on the cycleway in this area and where I can find out when they are locked?

Is there another way to get back to Guildford from Prospect reservoir that avoids going on the roads?
The other way is to go through Western Sydney Regional Park and then take the Horsley Drive shared path, then back across through to Victoria Street and along the T-way shared path.

The gates at Prospect Dam should never be considered to be always open these days. Irrespective of actual opening and closing times, the security guy often closes them when he feels like it. In summer, closing time was supposed to be 6:30pm, but he'd close them at 6:00pm some times.

foxglove

Postby foxglove » Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks, g-boaf.

It seems odd that only the gate at one end was locked. This must make life difficult for commuters using this route!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 pm

foxglove wrote:Thanks, g-boaf.

It seems odd that only the gate at one end was locked. This must make life difficult for commuters using this route!
Yeah - that would be me... They don't care. I leave Parramatta and ride up to Bella Vista and then down the M7 to Chandos Road and then along through Prospect Dam in Summer time. If I left work at 4:45pm, then I had to ride absolutely flat out to reach Prospect Dam before 6pm, just because of the risk the old guy who sometimes did security shutting the gates early. So much for the advertised closing time. :roll:

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Sydney Water website says -
We manage the Prospect Reservoir picnic areas. They're located off Reservoir Road, Prospect, about 35 km west of Sydney. Facilities include a viewing area, playground and toilets. The lower Prospect Reservoir picnic grounds and cycleway are open to the public from:

6 am - 6.30 pm during daylight savings
7 am - 4.30 pm at all other times.

Who manages Prospect Reservoir?
We manage the picnic areas only.
WaterNSW owns and manages the reservoir itself as well as Prospect Nature Reserve

Simply email - propertyaccess@sydneywater.com.au - if you have any questions.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Watch out on the cycleway going under Gipps Road - that bollard that seems to appear/disappear from time to time around the old viaduct has made its way up to the Gipps Road underpass - I found it laying across the path. :evil:

I moved it to the side. If I was on foot, I would have picked it up and dumped it somewhere far away from the path and hopefully we never see the damned thing again.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:39 am

Snake spotted on the canal path going west, before the viaduct. First one of the season I think.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:17 am

Careful the underpass near Merrylands HS. There is concrete rubble and blocks through there. I moved the most dangerous bits to the side, but I’d go slow through there. :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Motorbikes are becoming a frequent problem on the canal cycleway. Two this afternoon, the other afternoon there was an actual superbike on there as well.

The path is crumbling as well, many sections are breaking up, the fixes are to put speed bumps in place (hot mix patches).