Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

SteveTheTiger

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby SteveTheTiger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:00 pm

As tomorrow (Sunday, March 6) is Clean Up Australia Day - http://www.cleanupaustraliaday.org.au/search - keep an eye out for volunteers cleaning up parks, creeks and shared paths. Give them a wave and a thumbs up, and take your rubbish with you when you ride. Cheers!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Some fool smashed beer bottles all over the path - I avoided it luckily at stupid o'clock this morning. Seems to be clear now.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:07 pm

g-boaf wrote:Some fool smashed beer bottles all over the path - I avoided it luckily at stupid o'clock this morning. Seems to be clear now.
Through the Woodpark/Sherwood Road tunnel? There was an empty carton and smashed bottles all over the place this morning which had been pushed to the side 4 or 5 hours later.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:09 pm

It was actually up past Holroyd HS. It was completely dark (I was out at 5:30am headed out to Eastern Creek race track). All clear by the time I came back.

phil_

Postby phil_ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Yeah I noticed glass everywhere along the path near the high school yesterday. I picked up whatever I could and threw em into the bushes.

Made going really slow and tedious, having to always check the tyres after riding through a patch of glass. :x

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:12 pm

It is always in the same place which is suspiciously near an unnamed high school whose students smoke under the bridge in the morning.
I'm almost tempted to fire off one here http://www.holroyd-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Wed May 11, 2016 3:28 pm

tree down across 3/4 of path running through farmland between chandos rd and horsley drive - especially a problem when going fast southbound
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed May 11, 2016 11:04 pm

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Fri May 13, 2016 8:15 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:Did you let WSPT know?
http://www.westernsydneyparklands.com.au/contact-us/
no, but I let the rest of the internet know about it :wink:

thanks for the link, I'll contact them tomorrow after my ride if the felled tree is still there
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Just saw on the news a motorcycle rider was found near the canal path overnight. Crashed and has died.

Apparently neware Tennyson PDE newar the beginning on the track at Guildford

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun May 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Yep, he was found by a group of cyclists early this morning, I passed through just as the Police and Ambos arrived.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am

Watch out near the turn-off to the Pemulwuy housing estate, one of the concrete sections of the path has risen up quite a lot, making a very sharp bump. Recommend going slowly across that or taking to the grass to avoid it.

phil_

Postby phil_ » Mon May 23, 2016 11:35 pm

I called up Holroyd Council to fix a manhole near the high school back in March. The surrounding concrete has come loose leaving a very tall and precarious lip around it.

They were onto it pretty quick, laying down asphalt over the entire concrete square and evening out the manhole by the next week.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue May 24, 2016 3:55 pm

I noticed that manhole surround had been repaired, well done for reporting it. I must admit that I would just ride to the right or the left depending on which way I was heading and so avoid it but it has been a hazard to catch the unaware for a few years now. I think I might even have posted about it in this thread when the surrounding path began to drop and the manhole edge first stood tall.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue May 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Hergest wrote:I noticed that manhole surround had been repaired, well done for reporting it. I must admit that I would just ride to the right or the left depending on which way I was heading and so avoid it but it has been a hazard to catch the unaware for a few years now. I think I might even have posted about it in this thread when the surrounding path began to drop and the manhole edge first stood tall.
....riding to the right or left is Ok for a "single track" vehicle. :roll: ... we of the "triple track" vehicles find doing that a bit more "challenging", as invariably one wheel track either hits the obstacle :shock: , or runs off the edge of the path :(

I'm forever reporting all the "un-level" path joints to the relevant authorities :mrgreen:
they're slowly being rectified...... Council should just run the "edge grinder" over all the paths in the region and they could fix the lot in a week.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Watch out around Gipps Road area in between there and the turn off to Pemulwuy, spotted two very large kangaroos this afternoon in that area.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Near Holroyd HS (and the underpass nearby) there was a heap of debris and glass. I swept away the lot nearest Holroyd HS, but couldn't do anything about the underpass, too much there.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:16 pm

This falls in between the M7 thread and the WSRP but worth mentioning that part of the pavement on The Horsley Drive has been dug up ready for renewal. Coming up from the M7 towards the WSRP/canal you are better off using the shoulder of the road until you get passed the golf driving range.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Hergest wrote:This falls in between the M7 thread and the WSRP but worth mentioning that part of the pavement on The Horsley Drive has been dug up ready for renewal. Coming up from the M7 towards the WSRP/canal you are better off using the shoulder of the road until you get passed the golf driving range.
Part of it a while back near that "club house" just down from the M7 had risen so much as to form a decent jump heading down from the M7, and a serious hazard heading west.

Recommend Chandos Road for the time being. However there is construction work there too. And the patch up job after they finished the first bit is a shocker. Even rougher than it was before.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:27 am

g-boaf wrote:
Hergest wrote:This falls in between the M7 thread and the WSRP but worth mentioning that part of the pavement on The Horsley Drive has been dug up ready for renewal. Coming up from the M7 towards the WSRP/canal you are better off using the shoulder of the road until you get passed the golf driving range.
Part of it a while back near that "club house" just down from the M7 had risen so much as to form a decent jump heading down from the M7, and a serious hazard heading west.

Recommend Chandos Road for the time being. However there is construction work there too. And the patch up job after they finished the first bit is a shocker. Even rougher than it was before.
Lord I hate Chandos Road. Maybe I've been unlucky but every time I used it in the past some bogan tries to take me out either at the roundabout or on the road itself.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:28 am

Prospect Creek path is closed at the Gipps Road end for 4 weeks. The scheduled works were due to begin some weeks ago but I assume the weather delayed them. The work is on the bridge below. It was only re-timbered about a year ago so I assume there are structural problems. I don't know if the bridge further along Long Street is also being done. There are closure signs right back to the Cumberland Highway entry to the path. There is no way around this closed bridge from the Gipps Road end without riding on roads so plan your ride.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am

The rail crossing near Yennora station is closed and the cycleway is gone. Diversion is in place on road.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 am

This one or somewhere else ?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 pm

find_bruce wrote:This one or somewhere else ?
Yes, the one marked in blue on that map.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed May 10, 2017 2:41 pm

We were stopped by someone doing a survey there last year. They wanted to know how often we used that path, how often we had to stop for a train etc. I thought something must have been planned, be interesting to see if there's any changes, it's only a little crossing after all and trains are rather infrequent. Mind you, it's a bit intimidating when a train goes through even though it's dead slow as you are right up close to it so maybe some gates will go in.