What is the steepest rd in Sydney?

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:42 am

I tried cycling up Awaba Street from Balmoral beach about 3 weeks ago (on my Colnago, standard road cranks, 11-23 cassette) and I made it about two-thirds up. It is one MEAN hill as it progressively gets steeper the further up you go...

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

stretch

Postby stretch » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 am

vitualis wrote:I tried cycling up Awaba Street from Balmoral beach about 3 weeks ago (on my Colnago, standard road cranks, 11-23 cassette) and I made it about two-thirds up. It is one MEAN hill as it progressively gets steeper the further up you go...

Cheers.
Just the thought of that scares me and makes me feel like Im going to throw up. Good times!
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

Chester3

Postby Chester3 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:28 pm

David Street, Clifton Gardens.
Last edited by Chester3 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chester3

Postby Chester3 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:42 pm

One more. Sherbrook Road, Hornsby.
Last edited by Chester3 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:50 pm

Ha! :P Battle Boulevarde and Kentwell/Allambie Road are on my homebound commute.

The steepest street in Sydney I am aware of is a section of a couple of hundred metres (max) at the back of Dee Why. It is Prescott Avenue between Palya Place and Parr Parade. Not sure of the exact grade, but it is steeper than the worst parts of Kentwell/Allambie, and even Alexander St Collaroy. Not as long, though.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Ok everyone. Now you that you know the nearest steep street, go and do hill repeats on them. 5 is a set and do 2 sets every morning! :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:10 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
sandman wrote:
challs wrote:The road up to Bowen Mountain in the Hawkesbury is very steep. I think it is about 20% but will have to plot on map my ride.
Challs I'm hearing there are some sections at 22%...

Pete
I have a cousin on Bowen mountain...riden there alot and even thou it is steep there are no 20% pitches there...maybee on the mtb trail after the observatory :lol:
Toolonglegs

OK, tnx for the info. I got the info from a guy that I've raced with. Not sure if he was overstating the inclines however I know there are some ball busters up there :-)

Its all gud, bring on the ball breaking !

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Guys

With the inclines, any chance of posting the % incline and length ? If we're going to pack up teams to tackle these then it would be great to know what we're in for :-) Would be really cool to get a method to compare the watts used on these climbs ie: distance v's elevation. Some can be short sharp verticals and some can just bend you're head due to ongoing power output needed....

Cheers..Pete

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Nah, steepest in the world is 17deg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street,_Dunedin
I walked up that street when I was on holidays over in N.Z. last year.

They should put a bar at the top of the street with a commemorative can or something.

Strangely, the souvenir shop with certificates to say you climbed the street is at the bottom of the street.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:19 pm

sandman wrote:Would be really cool to get a method to compare the watts used on these climbs ie: distance v's elevation.
Pete

Try www.cycle2max.com.

They have a calculation for power.

<shameless knockoff>

0.29 * (climb_distance/time)^3 + 9.81*(time_rider_kg + time_bike_kg)*ascent/time

So basically it is potential energy plus a factor of speed due to wind resistance etc. The formula is very accurate on a steady climb with no flat spots on a wind free day, provided the ascent is known accurately.

For example a 70kg rider with a 10 kg bike riding at 20 km hour up a total ascent of 300m, distance is 5 km, in 15 minutes(15*60 sec) Power= 0.1315 * (5000/900)^3 + 9.81*(80)*300/900 Power= 22W from wind + 261 W from potential energy So as you can see, when climbing wind resistance doesn't count much, so if the ride has no flat sections (faster speed)and is a steady climb at 20km/hr or less the accuracy will be with in 5%, provided the ascent and weights are correct.

Previously the co-efficient we used was .1315 but we found this put Power on shallower climbs out.

We did extensive real life testing of the formula, using calibrated SRM cranks and several different climbs.

</shameless knockoff>

If you're a maths genius, you can do the reverse and figure out what power output you'd need to achieve a certain time.

Jim

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Multiply that by how long it took four men to dig a hole 2x4 metres, and divide by your grandmothers age.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:29 pm

timbo wrote:Multiply that by how long it took four men to dig a hole 2x4 metres, and divide by your grandmothers age.
Only on wednesdays, unless you're writing your letter home, if you havent moved your coat to the top peg...

Jim

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:45 pm

familyguy wrote:<shameless knockoff>0.29 * (climb_distance/time)^3 + 9.81*(time_rider_kg + time_bike_kg)*ascent/time ...</shameless knockoff>

If you're a maths genius, you can do the reverse and figure out what power output you'd need to achieve a certain time.

Jim
MS Excel > Tools > Solver. :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:03 am

sogood wrote:Ok everyone. Now you that you know the nearest steep street, go and do hill repeats on them. 5 is a set and do 2 sets every morning! :lol:
What morning do you want to do Wallace st with me?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:08 am

mikesbytes wrote:
sogood wrote:Ok everyone. Now you that you know the nearest steep street, go and do hill repeats on them. 5 is a set and do 2 sets every morning! :lol:
hey Mike, the climb back out of National Park that we would ride in on for the Gong ride, whats the length and incline on that sucker ? Curious also the climb back up to Stanwell tops that we go down on the Gong ride...

Any ideas ?

Pete

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:22 pm

sandman wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
hey Mike, the climb back out of National Park that we would ride in on for the Gong ride, whats the length and incline on that sucker ? Curious also the climb back up to Stanwell tops that we go down on the Gong ride...

Any ideas ?

Pete
Any ride out of the Royal National park once you are down by the river is a good climb, and don't forget Bulli Pass as well.

If we manage to knock those over by lunchtime, we could head south and do Macquarie Pass.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Name your day and I'll (try to) be there. :P

Been driving around and suddenly dawned on me that that Lilyfield Rd hill isn't that bad after all. Been going through Avoca St from Alison Rd end (Randwick), and that's one decent killer hill that goes for quite a distance. Much longer than Lilyfield Rd. Saw two commuters climbing there yesterday. The other nasty one is Albion St coming up from Elizabeth St. Not pleasant.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:37 pm

sandman wrote:hey Mike, the climb back out of National Park that we would ride in on for the Gong ride, whats the length and incline on that sucker ? Curious also the climb back up to Stanwell tops that we go down on the Gong ride...
Excuse me for jumping in. We discussed this last year before the Gong and the climb out isn't that bad at all. Mostly 4-6%. That's how so many casual riders were able to survive the Gong ride, year after year. The only nasty hill on the Gong ride is the short kick up immediately after the Sea Cliff Br. That'll get a good portion of the riders walking.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:42 pm

timbo wrote:Any ride out of the Royal National park once you are down by the river is a good climb, and don't forget Bulli Pass as well.
Don't kill yourself and avoid Bulli Pass at all cost! Take the coastal route and even then, that Lawrence-Hargrave Dr climb is enough to super charge you up with lactic acid.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:11 am

Out of curiosity, how do the climbs out of Euroka (for those that did the NRMA Classic) and the subsequent climb out of the national park back to Glenbrook measure up against these streets mentioned. I've ridden some of the roads mentioned but find that the climbs out from doing the Woodford trail tougher. :?
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:59 am

Mr888 wrote:Out of curiosity, how do the climbs out of Euroka (for those that did the NRMA Classic) and the subsequent climb out of the national park back to Glenbrook measure up against these streets mentioned. I've ridden some of the roads mentioned but find that the climbs out from doing the Woodford trail tougher. :?
thats because you are pooped from riding the anderson / oaks...but it isn't very steep.

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:28 am

toolonglegs wrote:
Mr888 wrote:Out of curiosity, how do the climbs out of Euroka (for those that did the NRMA Classic) and the subsequent climb out of the national park back to Glenbrook measure up against these streets mentioned. I've ridden some of the roads mentioned but find that the climbs out from doing the Woodford trail tougher. :?
thats because you are pooped from riding the anderson / oaks...but it isn't very steep.
Toolong, had a look on the Garmin, ranges from 10% to close to 18% though the climb isnt overly long. Be up there again tomorrow morning

Pete

RobS

Postby RobS » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:56 pm

There are some streets around the Cooks River Marrickville which are quite steep. I'm not sure which one of those is the steepest.

Wolli Creek Rd Bexley has a steep section.

They are all quite short.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 pm

sandman wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
Toolong, had a look on the Garmin, ranges from 10% to close to 18% though the climb isnt overly long. Be up there again tomorrow morning

Pete
Really,even a fat arse like me can recall sprinting up there against mates...man I was fit once! :roll:
..and that is on a mtb!

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:47 pm

if you want some steep climbs, ride back to woodford, some of them are over 20%, throw in a very loose surface, some rocks, boulders and ruts and it makes for an interesting climb