Katoomba to Lithgow

sobmal

Katoomba to Lithgow

Postby sobmal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 pm

looking for a good route from Katoomba to Lithgow, I see that there are a few options.. basically looking for most efficient and safest route, I'd like to avoid the highway. I see that I can turn right at Mt Victoria and take Darling causeway then Hartley vale road. Is it safe enough through to Mt Victoria on the hwy? Trip will be about midday on a Saturday.

I will be on a gravel bike but would prefer tar, gravel, rocks (in that order). any locals have the pro tip for that area?

thanks

march83

Re: Katoomba to Lithgow

Postby march83 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

On a gravel bike it should be easy to avoid the highway. Check the strava heatmap for more detail but basically:

1) Katoomba to Medlow Bath: You can see on the heatmap that there's a well worn route which I think is the dirt bike trail.

2) Medlow Bath to Blackheath: Take station street on the western side of the train line.

3) Blackheath to Mt Victoria: Same again, but I think you're basically on the train line at this point.

4) Mt Vic to Newnes Junction: There's a rail trail that runs along the train line on the eastern side that should spit you out at Newnes and from there it's not too bad getting into Lithgow.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks!

Katoomba to Medlow looks to be on the south/west side as well, the rail trail to Newnes looks OK, so I can assume that Chiefly road is OK to get to Lithgow?

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:41 am

Chiefly road is one of the main roads into Lithgow.
Think I'd rather use Hartley Vale Rd, Browns Gap Rd ... back way in.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am

As would I. Much nicer ride. Just keep Chiefly Road for a bit of fun going up. (Get to the top, die a bit, then go back down and do it again....)