The Bay Run - Iron Cove

Tomodachi

The Bay Run - Iron Cove

Postby Tomodachi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Got out and about recently and experienced the Bay Run for the first time. I have to say what a treat it was and I'm kind of jealous of the people who live close by and get to experience it more regularly. Nice continuous ride and didn't have to dismount once.

find_bruce

Re: The Bay Run - Iron Cove

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:45 pm

An interesting video. Shame you glossed over the various design defects, with the result that your average speed, whilst appearing eminently moderate & sensible to me is double the recommended speed for a significant part of the bay run, or its poor accessibility / connectivity with Canada Bay council removing half the access ramps.

The rowing club you give such a plug to, are responsible for an unauthorised “ cyclists must dismount” sign & use the shared path as a loading zone for beer truck & boat trailer

Tomodachi

Postby Tomodachi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 am

You raised some good points find-bruce. I wasn't aware of a lot of the things that you mentioned as a visitor. Even when I went out there that day I didn't know that there were speed restrictions on the circuit.

The deeper issues regarding the rowing club I couldn't get a feel for when I was there and I really have no bias for or against it, but if it is as you say, that's unfortunate that they can't be responsible and share the path as a community asset.

Why would the council remove half of the access ramps?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Interesting observations from Bruce and ones that I think are true of a lot of cycling infrastructure. If you're not local to an area, on your first visit it's easy to be impressed by a new cycle path etc especially if there's a dearth of such where you live or the existing paths are dreadfully maintained.

As a local though who might use the new path a lot you can see (and be frustrated by)a lot that was never done or has been poorly implemented.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Hergest wrote:As a local though who might use the new path a lot you can see (and be frustrated by)a lot that was never done or has been poorly implemented.
Too true Hergest - I ride it 10 times a week so see issues that may not be obvious. The biggest frustration for me as a taxpayer hasn't even come to pass yet. The reason they had to rip up all of the old path was that there were pine trees planted along the path & any path within a 3m radius of the tree gets broken up by the roots - it is a persistent problem not just at the bay run but other paths around the place - Powells creek near bicentenial park is another that springs to mind. You can imagine my groans of frustration when having dug up the old path and removed the pine trees, some imbecile decides to plant another dozen pine trees - in 5 or 6 years they will have to do it all over again.
Tomodachi wrote:You raised some good points find-bruce. I wasn't aware of a lot of the things that you mentioned as a visitor. Even when I went out there that day I didn't know that there were speed restrictions on the circuit.

The deeper issues regarding the rowing club I couldn't get a feel for when I was there and I really have no bias for or against it, but if it is as you say, that's unfortunate that they can't be responsible and share the path as a community asset.

Why would the council remove half of the access ramps?
Fair enough - the advisory speed limit signs are small & easy to miss, especially since this sign which used to shout "SLOW DOWN" if you exceeded 10 km/h.
I don't know why the sign "fell over", just that one day it was there the next the 75mm steel post was bent 90° at the base & its corpse lay there for a month before being removed.

As for why the council would remove access ramps, I wish I had an answer. Having written to the Mayor & spoken to a council officer, I know they were deliberately removed, by why is lost in the fog of some beuaracrat's imagination. To give you a glimpse of the stupidity involved, the ramps were removed at the same time as (1) the speed limit along that section of Henley Marine Drive was reduced to 40 km/h as a high pedestrian zone & (2) speed humps were installed & (3) the council put up big steel fences to prevent pedestrians from crossing the road at the places where the speed of cars was lowest, being the speed humps.

One of the things I do is advocate for people with disabilities & it is the reason I get passionate about this - riding on 2 wheels gives you an insight into the frustration of people who happen to need to use a wheelchair & the bay run is a good example of why. Heading south along Henley Marine Drive from Victoria Rd,
  • South St - there is a footpath on the southern side that ends with a ramp, yay, but there is nowhere to go from there - no ramp at the park on the other side of South St, no path on that side of Henley Marine Dr, no ramp to get onto the bay run.
  • Thompson St used to have an access ramp, but it was removed for no good reason.
  • Henley St has a ramp that is too small to be used by a wheelchair & is obstructed by a power pole
  • Montague Park as a footpath that starts 1/2 way along the block, with a ramp at each end, but nowhere to get too or from there
  • Ullathorne St has no access ramp
  • There is a ramp onto the bay run 1/2 towards Brent St, which has the minor defect that the other side has 3 or 4 flights of stairs.
  • There was a ramp 3/4 of the way to Brent St, but it was removed - who knows why
  • There are 3 ramps between Brent St & Barnstaple Rd with 2 disabled parking spots & another 1/2 way towards First Ave
  • Ramp at First Ave
  • Then there are no ramps at Brisbane Ave, Hood Ave, Nield Ave, Princess Ave, Duchess Ave nor Duke Ave.
  • 2 ramps at the 3 disabled parking spots near Arthur Ave
  • Another ramp the other side where Henley Marine Dr turns off
The point is that the bay run is only convenient in a wheelchair if you drive there. Similarly on a bike - there is no convenient bike access in the 2 km stretch between Formosa St & Brett St.

Tomodachi

Postby Tomodachi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Hmm, I'm glad I didn't see the sign otherwise I might of had a different experience. 10 km/h is not the ride I'm looking for it's almost like what's the point going jogging pace.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:30 pm

A long time ago when I use to run around the bay I averaged 16kph
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:42 am

Tomodachi wrote:Hmm, I'm glad I didn't see the sign otherwise I might of had a different experience. 10 km/h is not the ride I'm looking for it's almost like what's the point going jogging pace.
Sorry for venting yesterday.

Fortunately the signs are "advisory", have no legal force & I have never seen anybody take the advice. As best I can tell the council installed them in an attempt to deflect from their poor design, particularly around the kids play areas.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 pm

A bunch of 10 km/h signs have appeared on the old railway bridge at Rhodes/Meadowbank. Same council I think?
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:01 pm

10k signs were the work of Leichardt Council, now Inner West council. Removing the access ramps was the work of Canada Bay Council who are responsible for Rhodes, while Meadowbank is part of Ryde Council.

The bridge itself however is crown land & it would seem that the speed signs were installed at the request of Ryde Council to "minimise the hazard of speeding bikes colliding with pedestrians" :roll:

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:08 am

I too average about 12 - 13 km/h jogging / running speed. I better be careful and make sure I don't have scissors in may hand either!

Tomodachi

Postby Tomodachi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:42 pm

10km/h is ridiculous, I think that old railway bridge is part of the annual Spring Cycle.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Andrew09 wrote:I too average about 12 - 13 km/h jogging / running speed. I better be careful and make sure I don't have scissors in may hand either!
Someone going to get a speed gun out to measure the speed of joggers/runners?

All a bit over the top I think.

ashleygray

Postby ashleygray » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Good job! This is a very interesting video. I hope you could post more videos soon.

Tomodachi

Postby Tomodachi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you, I intend to do many over time.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:50 am

Had a laugh - one problem with the part of the Bay Run installed by the Leichardt Clowncil is the formation of lakes across the path whenever it rains, like now. The path should have a gentle slope towards the bay so that any water runs off. Instead some muppet built bits so that there is a dip in the middle.

Instead of applying a proper fix to for this stuff up, they built drainage grates with pipes leading to the bay, which work fine for the first 6 or 7 rain events before they clog up with silt.

This week Inner West Clowncil are out there wasting more of tax payers money building more drainiage ditches, because why would you want to learn from your mistakes :roll:

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:43 pm

Thread dig,
Bay Run upgrade detour map and letter from Inner West council.

And Bob Moore mentioned in https://www.innerwestreview.com.au/stor ... /?cs=23035

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:16 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:43 pm
With the attitude of the rowing club (has it changed in the meantime?) I wonder how upset they are at losing their car park, even short term? Will the boat trailers proliferate?

The detour makes sense as much as it's the logical route, but I can see it turning a lot of families or lesser experienced riders off. Are there details on what works are being done? The stretch between the bridge and the rowing club is a pinch point, so it would be nice to see it widened/eased.