Sydney Airport Cycleway - Motorway Development

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Sydney Airport Cycleway - Motorway Development

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 pm

There's a plan to connect Westconnex to the International and Domestic terminals. Please click on the link and provide your comments

Welcome to the Consultation Map for Sydney Gateway
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Sydney Airport Cycleway - Motorway Development

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:27 pm

The Motorway goes over a former polluted rubbish dump and wet lands. Plan is for it to be elevated. I can't see there being a bike path included in these circumstances so the Airport drive bike path needs to be preserved

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:14 am

The above link is not found and might be removed???

Cyclists forced to move aside for new motorway to Sydney Airport.
From SMH report.
The Alexandra Canal Cycleway, which runs along the airport’s northern boundary, will be cut at both ends by the proposed Sydney Gateway, a new motorway designed to carry traffic from the WestConnex toll road to Sydney Airport.
*snip*
Airport Drive will be closed and motorists travelling between the international and domestic terminals will be diverted onto the Sydney Gateway motorway when it opens, expected to be in 2023.
*snip*
“The idea of diverting a cycleway up a hill and around a motorway and then all the way back again is a real disservice to bike riders,” Ms Campbell said.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:35 pm

BikeEast had started the
"Save the Alexandra Canal Cycleway" petition in Change.org.

Over 1,500 had signed it.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:12 pm

You wanna hope that there's a change in the State Government on March 23 because this State Government (libs) ignore all Petitions...they just go ahead with what they want anyway.

This Petition has only 1500 signatures including mine, but when this Government was going to privatise our Government bus services in Newcastle as well as The Inner West Sydney, we had over 10,000 signatures to help fight our cause.....it was heard in Parliament, it was argued in Parliament and the bloody Government dismissed the petition on being petty and that it'll go ahead anyway.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm sure the bicycling advocacy groups will be organising protests. :lol: Let's face it, only critical mass like protests by thousands of cyclists will have any effect on government decision making.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:55 pm

The "Don't knock down our stadiums" petition had over 220,000 signatures and we saw the impact that had on the Liberal government, as Brumby33 says, the only hope is to get rid of the Liberal/Nationals on March 23.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 pm

biker jk wrote:I'm sure the bicycling advocacy groups will be organising protests. :lol: Let's face it, only critical mass like protests by thousands of cyclists will have any effect on government decision making.
That won't change anything. And you only need work in the city to see what happens when people protest. The majority wanted this to occur, and even some cyclists voted for the current government. So they should accept it without complaint.

Gladys has a mandate to knock down stadiums and rip up cycleways.

Mind you, they could get tossed out. There is anger over the stadiums, a Minister has gotten himself embroiled in a funding scandal and a train broke down in peak hour this evening causing big delays. Although the train isn't their fault - they are machines that can break down, with all of those things together it's a negative perception and they'll probably be belted for it.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm used to things getting ripped up and cyclists forced to take ridiculous detours that more than double the trip length. I am sure they'll do a bicycle count, in the middle of winter when it's raining, for a few hours each day, then claim nobody uses it.

I've become immune to election promises. I've already voted online (http://ivote.nsw.gov.au). I still remember Eddie, and I also still remember the endless annoucements of big projects, followed by annoucements of them being cancelled, only for them to reannounced at then next election, before getting cancelled again. I'm not overjoyed about stadiums. I couldn't care less. I have been to a stadium once in the last 20 years (twice if you include a conference at the SCG), and I have never set foot in the Sydney SFS.

Sure, the libs have some pretty dodgy decisions and things going on, but after watching 16 years of Labor the last time, I'm not ready to hand the keys back to them. Sorry.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 pm

This is the email I received in December. I haven't seen any changes to the plans to include cycling subsequently
Good afternoon

Thank you for your submission on Sydney Airport’s preliminary draft Master Plan 2039 (pdMP2039) concerning the Alexandra Canal cycleway. I apologise for the delay in responding.

Now that the public exhibition period for the pdMP2039 has concluded, Sydney Airport will consider all submissions received (including yours) and revise the pdMP2039 where appropriate. The revised version will then be submitted to the federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development for consideration.

Sydney Airport is committed to improving active transport infrastructure in the airport precinct. A number of initiatives to improve active transport access and facilities have already been implemented over the past five years, including the new footbridge and cycleway connection linking the external cycleway network to our International (T1) terminal precinct (removing 6 vehicle conflict points), as well as the provision of secure bicycle storage facilities and end-of-trip facilities. Additional infrastructure to support active transport has also been installed in our Domestic (T2/T3) precinct with 3.0m shared paths extending into the precinct and enhanced crossing facilities at the precinct entry. However, we recognise that more needs to be done. Further improvements are therefore envisaged as part of the five-year Ground Transport Plan, details of which will be further developed and discussed with key stakeholders as the plan is implemented.

As the Alexandra Canal cycleway will be impacted by the planned Sydney Gateway, NSW Roads and Maritime Services has confirmed that it is a requirement for a replacement cycle connection to be provided once Sydney Gateway is operational. It will also use reasonable endeavours to ensure an active transport route is available during construction. Sydney Airport is working with Roads and Maritime and other stakeholders to determine viable options for these replacement cycle connections. These options will be assessed by Roads and Maritime as part of the environmental impact assessment process for Sydney Gateway which will include public consultation. The approved cycle connection plans will then be integrated into Sydney Airport’s five year Ground Transport Plan.

Sydney Airport’s Active Transport Forum – on which peak and local bicycle user groups, local government, Roads and Maritime and Transport for NSW are represented – also discussed this issue at its most recent meeting in November, and updates will continue to be provided through that forum.

Thank you again for your submission.

Regards

Ted Plummer
Special Adviser – Government and Community Relations
Sydney Airport
Tel: +61 2 9667 6182
Mob: +61 409 072 436
Ted.Plummer@syd.com.au
www.sydneyairport.com.au

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm

They have decided what land they want. he pink shading is the land to be permanently acquired for road purposes; the green hatching is land to be temporarily leased for construction purposes; and the brown hatching is a proposed non-exclusive access road

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Found out second hand that they were thinking of diverting the cycleway to South st Tempe and then having it climb a mighty big hill to get back to the existing cycleway :(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Found out second hand that they were thinking of diverting the cycleway to South st Tempe and then having it climb a mighty big hill to get back to the existing cycleway :(
Probably spoke to Transurban about how to make bicycle detours as long and hilly as possible!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:35 pm

The Sydney Gateway project has been approved by the Minister. Does anyone know if it includes a walkway/cycleway to the domestic airport?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Announcement today https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink

• Construction starts 2021, finishes 2024
  • 3k of active transport aka cycling shared paths. Is this 3k the extra distance required to ride due to the diversion or have they included a link to the domestic airport?
  • Roads returned to the local community. What roads are returned to the local community and what changes are they making to those roads?

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Wonder if this would get used in the Sydney to Wollongong ride?

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:14 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 pm
Announcement today https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink

• Construction starts 2021, finishes 2024
  • 3k of active transport aka cycling shared paths. Is this 3k the extra distance required to ride due to the diversion or have they included a link to the domestic airport?
  • Roads returned to the local community. What roads are returned to the local community and what changes are they making to those roads?
They have to do a link to Domestic Terminal from Alexandra Canal according to the final conditions of consent, which was a bit of a surprise to many. They are saying “this will be a challenge” as it means getting some land from Sydney Airport, along the airport side of the new Gateway, where Qantas Drive is now. Bad luck chaps, shoulda tried harder before.