Menai to Woronowa Bridge

peter

Menai to Woronowa Bridge

Postby peter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 am

Drove to Woronowa last week, noticed the bridge has a lower level for pedestrians and cycles, thought it would be a nice ride to the bridge.

I have cycled from Padstow to Menai Central before, looking on Google map, it's only another 3.5km to the western side of the bridge.

I was wondering is Menai Road the best way to get to the bridge? It's certainly the most direct way, but looks busy.

P.S. would prefer to avoid riding on the road when possible.

Derny Driver

Re: Menai to Woronowa Bridge

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am

I believe there is a cycleway across Alfords Point bridge on the Eastern side? After that get onto Old Illawarra road which turns into Menai Road. Menai Road is the old road which winds down to the Woronora river and then up the other side to Sutherland. Have a look on Google maps. The bypass is busy but I think it has a decent shoulder if you choose that route.

find_bruce

Re: Menai to Woronora Bridge

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 am

Yep the the way Derny Driver says is how we went to get over the bridge. Traffic depends on what time you go. Yes there is a shared path along Menai Rd which you can use if you want. Menai Rd stops just short of River Rd but there is a bike path at the end that takes you down to the bridge
Anything you can do, I can do slower

peter

Postby peter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks guys! Did not notice the bike path along Menai Road. This is cool, pretty much 90% bike path from Padstow to the bridge.

It seems after crossing the bridge there's bike path all the way to Sutherland, and sections of bike path to Loftus Oval.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 am

Hi Peter,
Glad you are still riding.
This route from an old ride 2 years ago may help you - https://www.strava.com/activities/73269 ... 1524224193
Cheers,
Steve

peter

Postby peter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks Steve! The map is super helpful, much appreciated.