2014 Around the Bay

Chuck in Bendigo

2014 Around the Bay

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 am

I couldnt find a thread so I thought I would start one up.

Recieved my Jersey and rider pack in the mail yesterday. This will be my first go at around the bay. A few friends and I are attempting the 210km clockwise option.

Anyone have any tips or valuable insight they might be able to share with a newbie?

djw47

Re: 2014 Around the Bay

Postby djw47 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Get to the ferry as quick as possible, not sure if it's as bad going clockwise but there's always complaints about the waiting time to get on the ferry on the anti-clockwise. Best way to avoid it is to go hell for leather over the first 100kms.
And while it's a great experience, don't expect an exciting ride, the course is really quite boring.

jimmyjames

Postby jimmyjames » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm no expert (have done the clockwise 210 only once before), but make sure you're comfortable riding in a group. Try and join a group ride (shops often have regular ones, a quick Google shows that Bendigo Cycles has info here: http://www.bendigocycles.com.au/riding.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and get some practice in.
Not sure of your fitness but try and get some training in as well so you're comfortable with the distance. You don't need to be doing 210km training rides but over 100km is advisable at the very least.
The ride down to Sorrento is generally not too hard, only a couple of hills past Frankston, and you'll most likely be in a group pulling you along (make sure you pull turns at the front - no one likes a wheelsucker). Once the ferry ride is complete, make sure you head off in a group as the road from Queenscliff to Geelong can be tough if there's any wind around. When I did it, my idiot mate had to use the bathroom (even though they have toilets on the ferry) so I had to watch the big group disappear off into the distance while 3 of us struggled on our own. YMMV.
Try and get to the Westgate Bridge early as they shut it after a certain time and you have to navigate the backstreets of Footscray (we were late as the same mate crashed and we had to visit the medics). On our route there was a nasty level crossing with protruding rails that gave about 20 riders in a row a flat - never fun when you're around 200k's in.
But it's a fun day out! Enjoy yourself.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Not worried about fitness. Have been doing 100km rides with some decent hils thrown in there. I have also been getting out on Saturday morning group rides and have been getting more confident.

I agree that there is a need to get to the ferry as fast as possible. We are scheduled to leave in start zone 2. Any idea what this actually relates to in terms of getting through the start line?

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Chuck in Bendigo wrote:I couldnt find a thread so I thought I would start one up.

Recieved my Jersey and rider pack in the mail yesterday. This will be my first go at around the bay. A few friends and I are attempting the 210km clockwise option.

Anyone have any tips or valuable insight they might be able to share with a newbie?
its a great ride and if the weather is fine, well could be possibly the best ride you've ever done. There's a few thing to think about (from my 7 years of doing the event):

It aren't a race so have fun and enjoyment as your prime goal.

Regroup with mates at stops - again the experience is more enjoyable shared.

As you're going clockwise that's the best bit, beautiful ocean views all the way down - groups will sit on 30k+ or so.

When in groups watch for riders that are simply out of their depth (the group will pull them along outside their skill range), so watch for (poor pedaling - the grinder, abrupt braking, crossing wheels, not concentrating, wobbler). Either get around them or drop back. 2 Years ago I was in a group that I felt wasn't competent went around them and I reckon a few ks up the road I heard a bang, looked back and that group was down.

Break at Mordiallic briefly (there's also Seaford, Frankston), don't worry plenty of other groups coming and again good to soak up atmosphere. Take hydration powder as water is very plastic tasting.

Eat and drink regularly, so 1 bidon per hour and 1 bar per hour or so.

Going down will be busy, not much use fangin it so sit in a group at a speed that's challenging but enjoyable.

When in group try and scan ahead of you occasionally if group stuffs up or doesn't use hand signals/voice time to move on otherwise you're at risk.

Ferry, going down clockwise well wouldn't stress too much about getting there early, if you ride consistent and keep your stops to 5 minutes you'll be fine nice having lunch on grass anyway so all good.

Tyres/Tubes, put new ones on.

Keep an eye on mates to ensure they're staying hydrated, especially if its 35+ which it has been some years.

From Ferry to Geelong is nice, rolling hills, from Geelong to Melbourne expect head winds, and possibly no real groups. Try and encourage others to rotate off front with you, only 20-30 second leads.

Geelong to Melbourne is a bit of a grind, no real scenary and cars/trucks passing at high speed, (yep why would they run an event along a freeway I"ll never know), anyway stay focussed if you've eaten and drank well then you just have to mentally keep it together along here, when you see the westgate bridge, that is your friend.
We are scheduled to leave in start zone 2.
that would be your predicted average speed grouping.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:16 am

Chuck in Bendigo wrote:Not worried about fitness. Have been doing 100km rides with some decent hils thrown in there. I have also been getting out on Saturday morning group rides and have been getting more confident.

I agree that there is a need to get to the ferry as fast as possible. We are scheduled to leave in start zone 2. Any idea what this actually relates to in terms of getting through the start line?
The start zones are a nonsense - just a way to make sure people don't all try and get to the front. They're based on the average speed you put on your application so the faster you estimated your av speed will be the closer you are to the front at the start. However, there are a lot of people who are overly ambitious and not quite as fast as they think so what tends to happen is that you'll spend the first 20km overtaking bunches of plodders who overestimated their ability. If you can ride 100km+ with hills you'll breeze it, it's not a difficult ride and pretty much flat apart from a bump around Franga.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:25 am

If you're riding centuries in hills already on the weekend you'll canter it home, with enough juice in your legs to make it back to Bendigo.

In my experience the wait for the ferry isnt that long...
I don't understand where that reputation has come from.
Are people so impatient that they can't wait/rest/kick back and relax for an 1hr?
I mean they even give you a cut lunch and feed you during that break!

My only tip is: Just ride with your head up and be considerate of other riders, faster and slower. There will be a real mixed bag out there.

While most all are friendly and helpful, like anything there will be an element of "those lacking etiquette and/or skill" who will be oblivious to the trouble they are causing.

Enjoy your ride and best of luck

slian

Postby slian » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am

In my experience (have taken the Queenscliff ferry option twice), slower riders that arrived later tend to get bank up to later ferry eg. arrived 11ish, 1-2pm ferry out.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 pm

slian wrote:In my experience (have taken the Queenscliff ferry option twice), slower riders that arrived later tend to get bank up to later ferry eg. arrived 11ish, 1-2pm ferry out.

So its the SLOW riders who complain then?
If they're SLOW why all of a sudden the hurry?
Curious hey...

diventare

Postby diventare » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:18 am

All good tips above.
I would add wearing two pairs of knicks, your bum will thank you for the extra padding.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Dimis wrote:
slian wrote:In my experience (have taken the Queenscliff ferry option twice), slower riders that arrived later tend to get bank up to later ferry eg. arrived 11ish, 1-2pm ferry out.

So its the SLOW riders who complain then?
If they're SLOW why all of a sudden the hurry?
Curious hey...
Probably don't want to be held up even more by sitting waiting on ferries. I've heard of people not getting back to Melbourne until 8pm by which time everybody's packed up and gone homw - if you're that slow, do you really want to spend an unnecessary 2 or 3 hours waiting on a ferry slowing you down even more?

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 am

Some chamois cream in ziplock bags can help out during a ten hour or whatever ride! :-)

kb

Postby kb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:30 am

To cut down carry, someone should develop a triple purpose bike grease / sunblock / chamois cream :-)

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:53 pm

kb wrote:To cut down carry, someone should develop a triple purpose bike grease / sunblock / chamois cream :-)
And salad dressing?

slian

Postby slian » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Work for road rash too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:55 am

Weatherzone saying 28 and sunny on Sunday with winds 14-15km/h heading in the wrong direction at this stage. Will be interesting to see how much this changes during the week.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:50 am

Hi all.

For those still looking.

I've got a spare ticket for 210km Anticlockwise

See link for details.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=79407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to give me a buzz or SMS on 0412 10 five six 13

Many thanks.
Anth

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:45 pm

sort of related and I'm sure answer is obvious to many who've lived in Victoria a long time - where is the pic' taken that Scody use on their literature including the ATB top label?
thanks

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 pm

antigee wrote:sort of related and I'm sure answer is obvious to many who've lived in Victoria a long time - where is the pic' taken that Scody use on their literature including the ATB top label?
thanks
Im guessing you mean this one:

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/bupa-around-the-bay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oliver's Hill Frankston would be my guess.
Pier, view of the sea, Steel barricade fenced rd... plus its the only hill (if you'd call it that)... lol

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:27 pm

thanks Dimis but I meant this one

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah... I'm betting that ain't from Atb.
I'm thinking photoshop or 3peaks maybe.
I'll defer to greater minds...
Sorry.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 am

I have a 210km clockwise ticket up for grabs. PM if interested.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:00 am

Ticket Gone.

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:35 pm

picture that would be coming out of Mordi, brutal climb :lol:

nah that's more likely to be up around Mt Hotham or last part of Falls Creek climb with alpine region in background.

there are 2 climbs in ATB however, Hopes Rise or Oliver's Hill out of Frankston about 6-800 metres and balcombe Hill 2.4k cat 4 climb.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Still got a spare ticket for 210km Anticlockwise

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=79407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;