Beach Rd on the weekends?

rodneycc

Re: Beach Rd on the weekends?

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 am

Now there is a fit confident young bloke talking :-) But remember mate don't be too cocky there is always someone faster and stronger out there and then one day you are that old bloke on the climb on the 1in20 :-)

Btw fyi
http://www.bbn.org.au/calendar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:10 am

zill wrote:! Was all a bit of good fun.
Nope it ain't on strava, it didn't happen.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:19 pm

rodneycc wrote:But remember mate don't be too cocky there is always someone faster and stronger out there

Offcourse, just reflecting on what DD said which is that chasing after faster riders is a very common thing among competitive and fit riders.

In fact, I even remember this one time when I attacked out of a large group of able looking riders on Beach Rd and two of the riders in that group then decided to chase after me and join me eventually. Kept the group out of sight in the end which was nice. It is embarrassing to be swallowed by the group that you attacked which has happened as well.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:27 pm

defy1 wrote:
zill wrote:! Was all a bit of good fun.
Nope it ain't on strava, it didn't happen.
Offcourse I'm on Strava and I know/dream what segments I like to KOM in.... :D

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:33 pm

So you burnt off some old guy on a training ride?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:28 pm

dalai47 wrote:So you burnt off some old guy on a training ride?
There is a first time for anything. He was the first guy that I even had the opportunity to drop on a climb starting from the bottom of the climb - I usually ride in the afternoons and so don't see many riders in the mountain rangers. Was just unfortunate that he was older. In fact I actually dropped a younger guy riding on the way to the 1 in 20 on the same day along the Kooyoung Creek trail. The situation wasn't as textbook but it took three accelerations. He was probably in worst physical condition than that older guy.

Given how much I enjoyed dropping those guys on the climb, it's probably an indication that I should do some proper races with hills in them.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm

You could just join some bunch rides that go to the hills? You're guaranteed a lot of people starting a climb together. Join a fast bunch and I'm sure you'll be challenged.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:47 am

Feel like this is a troll thread but I'll ignore better judgement and join in anyway. Every now and then I feel like I have boost of testosterone flowing on a Sat morning so partake in the activities that zill is describing in here. There is plenty of bunches on a weekend that will be an ok pace on Beach rd but there is also and awful lot of boring paced ones so jumping from one to the other can break up the monotony of it all. If you ride a bit you can pretty much pick which people to steer well clear of, but its pretty much a waste of time if you want a good fast ride the whole way. Best thing to do is just start anywhere around 7am and tap out a good tempo, eventually somebody will jump on your wheel so at the next set of lights (your bound to get one) ask if they wanna roll turns, next thing you know there will be 30 people sitting behind you. Wait for a hill and try and drop everybody, it may be a bit of an ego boost but it doesn't mean jack.
zill wrote: Now that I'm one of the faster guys on the road, have found that many riders are trying to follow me. There was an older but fit looking guy who tried to follow me up the 1 in 20 and I deliberately started out at a fast pace but he kept on behind me but I could hear him breathe hard after a little while so I put out another little acceleration and sure enough he was left behind. Had him in the red zone and sure enough he was out of sight for the rest of the climb even though I eased off the pace eventually. A really great feeling since it was the first time I had done such a thing to someone and also just after reading an article on Cycling Tips on climbing in cycling and using exactly that tactic of accelerating when you hear the other person breathe harder!! Was all a bit of good fun.

What was your time?

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:08 pm

zill wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
macca33 wrote:.... Sometimes, I cannot quite comprehend your motivations - on the surface, it appears there is quite an issue with maturity - perhaps I am wrong...
I think you're wrong. 90% of cyclists do exactly this, they just don't talk about it on the internet. Im yet to meet a commuter who doesn't race strangers at least for a few km on his way to work. People out training cannot help themselves if someone rides past them. Call it immaturity, I call it ego, and cyclists have plenty of ego. Just look at the popularity of Strava, the biggest chest beating invention of all time.
Everyone likes to have their ego stroked. You can do that on Strava, or on Beach road, or in a race against people of similar age and ability. Its not immaturity, its testosterone.
Some blokes like to put a footy jumper on and go and bash into each other on a footy field. Some blokes like to prove themselves by trying to ride a bike faster than other blokes.
I think its human nature. Takes a lot of healthy self esteem to not want to compare yourself to others.

Now that I'm one of the faster guys on the road, have found that many riders are trying to follow me. There was an older but fit looking guy who tried to follow me up the 1 in 20 and I deliberately started out at a fast pace but he kept on behind me but I could hear him breathe hard after a little while so I put out another little acceleration and sure enough he was left behind. Had him in the red zone and sure enough he was out of sight for the rest of the climb even though I eased off the pace eventually. A really great feeling since it was the first time I had done such a thing to someone and also just after reading an article on Cycling Tips on climbing in cycling and using exactly that tactic of accelerating when you hear the other person breathe harder!! Was all a bit of good fun.
Let's hear it then Cadel, how fast can you go up the 1 in 20? Nothing wrong with trying to chase down slower riders for your own amusement but bear in mind they may be new to riding, may be recovering from injury, may be having a slow day, may be warming up, may be out for a social ride or may recovering from an earlier climb. Just because you can overtake them doesn't mean you're beating them in a race.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:25 pm

You oughta look these fellas up on Beach Rd Zill. They seem to be the types to like a challenge

http://kingsmen.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Website seems to have toned it down a bit since I first saw it, but maybe they'd be up to your standard? Rides with manes like such as "Full Noize", and "Nut Kicka" sound pretty intense and manly :)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Don't forget to practice and give the 'look back' just so they know they are being taught a lesson... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMdJAdzpYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:23 pm

fat and old wrote:You oughta look these fellas up on Beach Rd Zill. They seem to be the types to like a challenge

http://kingsmen.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Website seems to have toned it down a bit since I first saw it, but maybe they'd be up to your standard? Rides with manes like such as "Full Noize", and "Nut Kicka" sound pretty intense and manly :)
Yep those TKM blokes certainly do fly...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:37 pm

They sound like a funny group of guys. I like their style (knowing nothing of them, other than what I just read on their website).

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:36 am

djw47 wrote: Let's hear it then Cadel, how fast can you go up the 1 in 20? Nothing wrong with trying to chase down slower riders for your own amusement but bear in mind they may be new to riding, may be recovering from injury, may be having a slow day, may be warming up, may be out for a social ride or may recovering from an earlier climb. Just because you can overtake them doesn't mean you're beating them in a race.
Haven't timed myself up the 1 in 20 recently but would expect somewhere around 15 minutes or slightly under. I'm a work in progress at the moment and will be for the next 2 years at least. If you want to know my current level then I am a B grader so good compared to a C grader but bad compared to an A grader. Another measurement is that I'm about 5 watts per kilo average for 20 minutes if my diet is kept under check for that day!
Last edited by zill on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:40 am

dalai47 wrote:Don't forget to practice and give the 'look back' just so they know they are being taught a lesson... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMdJAdzpYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haha... but I'm not that kind of a guy.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 am

danny the boy wrote:Feel like this is a troll thread but I'll ignore better judgement and join in anyway.

This thread was meant to be about an innocent question but it has led to other things which as long as they are truthful, don't see any problems with it.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:17 am

zill wrote:
djw47 wrote: Let's hear it then Cadel, how fast can you go up the 1 in 20? Nothing wrong with trying to chase down slower riders for your own amusement but bear in mind they may be new to riding, may be recovering from injury, may be having a slow day, may be warming up, may be out for a social ride or may recovering from an earlier climb. Just because you can overtake them doesn't mean you're beating them in a race.
Haven't timed myself up the 1 in 20 recently but would expect somewhere around 15 minutes or slightly under. I'm a work in progress at the moment and will be for the next 2 years at least. If you want to know my current level then I am a B grader so good compared to a C grader but bad compared to an A grader. Another measurement is that I'm about 5 watts per kilo average for 20 minutes if my diet is kept under check for that day!
15 mins or under is firmly in the category of top A graders, a quick look at strava and you claim to be at the level of NRS riders the likes of Tyler Spurell, Tyson Chambers, Darcy Woolley. The fact that you admit to not even timing yourself suggests that your 5 w/kg is another load of bollocks. Good grief, if your gonna come on here and just make stuff up at least make it believable.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:25 am

danny the boy wrote:
zill wrote:
15 mins or under is firmly in the category of top A graders, a quick look at strava and you claim to be at the level of NRS riders the likes of Tyler Spurell, Tyson Chambers, Darcy Woolley. The fact that you admit to not even timing yourself suggests that your 5 w/kg is another load of bollocks. Good grief, if your gonna come on here and just make stuff up at least make it believable.
Where do you get your facts from? A top A grader can at a minimum do sub 14 minutes. A typical A grader should be in the low 14 minute mark.

I did low 15 minutes earlier in the year before improving my threshold by 6%. So have good feeling that I can do 15 min or under now.

5 watts per kilo is not that uncommon. Even some C graders are at that level though they are typically pure climbers. I am not a pure climber.

Its people like you that are trolling this thread.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:18 pm

zill wrote:
danny the boy wrote:
zill wrote:
Where do you get your facts from? A top A grader can at a minimum do sub 14 minutes. A typical A grader should be in the low 14 minute mark.

I did low 15 minutes earlier in the year before improving my threshold by 6%. So have good feeling that I can do 15 min or under now.

5 watts per kilo is not that uncommon. Even some C graders are at that level though they are typically pure climbers. I am not a pure climber.

Its people like you that are trolling this thread.
There is only 11 people on strava out of 9000 odd to have gone sub 14 mins on the cycle to max version segment. You are an absolute flog.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 pm

danny the boy wrote:
There is only 11 people on strava out of 9000 odd to have gone sub 14 mins on the cycle to max version segment. You are an absolute flog.
First of all not everyone is on Strava and especially not the top, top guys it seems. Second of all I don't expect a lot of people to be top A graders.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:50 pm

There's only one way to win this argument. Zill, you are going to have to crack the top 10 on strava and post the link!

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:There's only one way to win this argument. Zill, you are going to have to crack the top 10 on strava and post the link!

I've been very clear with my situation. Bottom line is I'm that good yet but keen to go fast or at least try and especially with (random) others around.

I'll post a strava link when I'm ready to show off :wink: but won't be any time soon.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 pm

When Blackburn ran their ITT up the 1in 20 as part of their 3 day tour 7 years back top B grade time was iirc low 14:50s. Top A graders were cracking 14mins.
Zill forums are not really the place to debate these things as much nuance is lost when posting. Do the training, ask for advice,race or post your times on Strava and rest on your laurels. Otherwise you risk stirring up a hornets' nest of vanity, envy or ridicule.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Uncle Just wrote:When Blackburn ran their ITT up the 1in 20 as part of their 3 day tour 7 years back top B grade time was iirc low 14:50s. Top A graders were cracking 14mins.
Zill forums are not really the place to debate these things as much nuance is lost when posting. Do the training, ask for advice,race or post your times on Strava and rest on your laurels. Otherwise you risk stirring up a hornets' nest of vanity, envy or ridicule.
People asked me about my time up the 1 in 20. Wouldn't have started it myself. Besides this thread was about Beach Rd. So let's get back on topic people.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 pm

While I must say your topics can be quite funny Zill... Some of your claims do stretch it a fair bit.
If you really wanted to improve your 5wpkg 20mins that you claim then you wouldn't be asking questions about dropping randoms on some popular cycling route.
You should put up or shut up, find some like minded / level riders and go out and train and race hard... If you are seriously as good as you say you are ( especially as a newb ).