Beach Rd on the weekends?

__PG__

Re: Beach Rd on the weekends?

Postby __PG__ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:27 am

So I tried a morning session today.
Traffic heading southbound between St Kilda St and North Rd was pretty bad at about 7:10 am but once you got back onto the foreshore it was fine.

Got to Mordialloc at about 7:50 am, had a big headwind northbound so I jumped on the bike path at Black Rock because at the speeds I was going I wasn't going to scare any pedestrians. Almost lost the bike on the path next to Brighton Baths thanks to windblown sand.

Gridlock forms b/w Sandringham and Brighton but once you pass St Kilda and get onto Beaconsfield parade you could almost get back onto the road.

Got back to work at 9:00 am.
Last edited by __PG__ on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:17 am

Good to see a little forum crossover PG ;)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 pm

I actually posted that picture on three forums ;)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:00 pm

/stalks the net for the third! :)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:41 pm

__PG__ wrote:I actually posted that picture on three forums ;)
Playing 'Where's __PG__?' Just found one 'on the road'... :wink: Still to find #3.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Went for a spurt down to Frankston and back this morning....sheesh :roll: :lol: what an experience. Pick of the day was some bloke who was fatter than me (younger though, and stronger off the bike no doubt). Copped the headwind around Mentone to Black Rock, so he sat right on my tail. OK, I don't care, but a turn would have been nice. Faster group goes by, so he jumps on, pedalling away, but can't hold them. Falls off, and I catch up. Bloke kept slowing down, sitting up, standing up and moving all over the place, but bugger that, I just slowed along with him, and stayed 6-10 meters back. From then until Pt Melb it was the same over and over again....he'd jump onto a faster group, lose them in 100 meters, then be caught, and try to get behind me :lol: . Note I am slow, and was just spinning along happily. He was a prime candidate for a good whatever we call that sniping activity now :lol:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Did another midweek session this morning, saw a young cyclist passing me whilst drafting a truck near St Kilda.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:55 am

Zill...mate! You missed out big time yesty.

Had to check the boys down in Sandy, so took the scenic route along Beach Rd. Lo and behold, I came across 3 conti-pro teams out trying to impress the locals, ripe for the taking :wink:

First up were some Novo boys. I channeled my inner Durian Rider and sucked wheel, making inane comments along the way. :lol: Enjoyable as it was, I had to get to the job, so turned off just as they started to up the ante 8)

Second, on the way back, I spotted a JLT fella who'd left his mates behind (saw them at the intersection I turned off so gave it a spurt while they had the red :wink: ). He looked way to smug, so I sneeked up to him just before the next lights, then slammed him for the post win. Capped it off by letting him know I'd gloat all over the forums about it...,so there!!! Done.

Last, just before Glenhuntley Rd, a group of UHC riders came around me, taking advantage of my recovery time :evil: . Enraged by their ability to wear fine white kit without looking like the Michelin Man, I smacked it into the 25, pedalled my guts out and left them for dead, just as they turned off for a coffe at Cafe Racer. Even had time to give my Rudy's some payback by giving them The Look. Cop that Oakley drug scum!

Excellent day for sniping 8)

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:34 pm

fat and old wrote:Zill...mate! You missed out big time yesty.

Had to check the boys down in Sandy, so took the scenic route along Beach Rd. Lo and behold, I came across 3 conti-pro teams out trying to impress the locals, ripe for the taking :wink:

First up were some Novo boys. I channeled my inner Durian Rider and sucked wheel, making inane comments along the way. :lol: Enjoyable as it was, I had to get to the job, so turned off just as they started to up the ante 8)

Second, on the way back, I spotted a JLT fella who'd left his mates behind (saw them at the intersection I turned off so gave it a spurt while they had the red :wink: ). He looked way to smug, so I sneeked up to him just before the next lights, then slammed him for the post win. Capped it off by letting him know I'd gloat all over the forums about it...,so there!!! Done.

Last, just before Glenhuntley Rd, a group of UHC riders came around me, taking advantage of my recovery time :evil: . Enraged by their ability to wear fine white kit without looking like the Michelin Man, I smacked it into the 25, pedalled my guts out and left them for dead, just as they turned off for a coffe at Cafe Racer. Even had time to give my Rudy's some payback by giving them The Look. Cop that Oakley drug scum!

Excellent day for sniping 8)
What time did you bump into them? I am not very fit at the moment but will remember next year this time - the day before the start of the Herald Sun tour!

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Saw the Italian team Nippo Fantini or whatever they are near Seaford around lunch time with a few Avanti guys as well, a few of the young guys on the Aussie national team weren't far behind them, . Been seeing the odd UHC guy around for a couple of weeks, most of the time on a TT bike, I guess its better riding out here than in the snow.

It was either last year or the year before I was heading the opposite way and the full Cannondale team had just past Black Rock, it was no social ride, they were hammering along.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:15 pm

well I bumped into Froomie on Sunday :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 pm

jules21 wrote:well I bumped into Froomie on Sunday :)

That's quite a rare photo of Froome given he wasn't looking at his stem.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:38 pm

biker jk wrote: That's quite a rare photo of Froome given he wasn't looking at his stem.
i reckon he was checking out Jules' stem :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:40 pm

I think he was actually looking at his stem before I interrupted him :D

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Gunlock wrote:
biker jk wrote: That's quite a rare photo of Froome given he wasn't looking at his stem.
i reckon he was checking out Jules' stem :D
That's quite likely. Froome has form looking at other riders' stems when he's not looking at his own.

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:06 pm

biker jk wrote:
jules21 wrote:well I bumped into Froomie on Sunday :)

That's quite a rare photo of Froome given he wasn't looking at his stem.

He was checking out jules' stem perhaps.......
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL