Recommended Bike Commute Route to Southbank

Krank

Recommended Bike Commute Route to Southbank

Postby Krank » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Hello all.

My workplace may be relocating to Southbank in the City.

What would be a recommended daily safe bike route to/from Southbank/Bentleigh East on a racing road bike?

Krank

macca33

Re: Recommended Bike Commute Route to Southbank

Postby macca33 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:13 am

Bentleight East - South / North Road to Beach Road and in along the Esplanade / Beaconsfield Parade is the most popular route as far as I'm aware.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 am

Thanks.

Hate North Road, but I may have to grin and bear it.

Krank

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:15 am

Jump on Gardiners creek trail.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Krank wrote:Thanks.

Hate North Road, but I may have to grin and bear it.

Krank
In that case, take Neerim Rd. / Glen Eira Rd. to St. Kilda Rd (or beach rd. via Elwood back streets) and in from there. Bike lanes and 60kph (or lower) speed limits all the way.

North Rd. railway crossing is also closed for a while now due to removal of the level crossing.

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks Guys

Krank

Postby Krank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:58 am

Any way of getting across to Gardiner's Creek Trail from Poath Road without having to ride on the major arterials?

Does this trail stop at Glenferrie Road? If so, how do then proceed to Southbank?

Krank

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 am

The trail changes to the capital city trail, there are a few places to get lost. I don't know the area too well, but I used Murrumbeena rd, seemed fine to me.

Edit. The trail travels underneath the freeway for a bit, if you try navigate on Google maps you should see where it goes.

Krank

Postby Krank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks Ben.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:41 pm

I agree about North Road (esp. from East Bentleigh) but all routes will have some spots where you need to be especially vigilant. You have numerous options (you mention Poath Road so I'll assume this is a good reference point):

If you want to get the GCT/CCT - Poath / Chadstone / Waverley / Winton -> trails
via Inner South East - Poath / Railway Pde / Neerim / Kambrook / Normanby / Inkerman is a good run then choose...
...St. Kilda Road or
...Grey St. / Canterbury / Ferrers / Whiteman
via Beach - Centre / Hampton / Durrant / Outer Cres. / Cochranes / Bay / Beach Road (or Cycle Path) then...
...Kerferd / Ferrers / Whiteman or
...Cycle path next to the tram line in Port Melbourne

There are variations based on the above depending on personal taste (have a squizz at Google Maps). I try to avoid using roads with trams (eg Glen Eira / Inkerman) because drivers can be particularly d!cky around them
------
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:17 am

Great stuff - Thanks!

What are the trails like travelling home in winter on darkness?

Krank

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 pm

Krank wrote: Does this trail stop at Glenferrie Road? If so, how do then proceed to Southbank?

Krank
Just before Glenferrie Rd, there is a new bridge under the Monash and across to the south side of Gardiner's Creek. Follow this under Glenferrie Rd, then the path is suspended beneath the Monash Freeway, crossing the Yarra onto the Capital City Trail. Take this beyond Punt Rd, then cross over the Yarra at Anderson St (a beautiful John Monash bridge) then follow the path along the south side of the river to Southbank.

The path under Glenferrie Rd can sometimes be flooded - just take the corkscrew to the left, and cross Glenferrie Rd at the lights, joining on the suspended path again.

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks Madmacca.

Do you have the name of this bridge?

Looks like a safer route in it's entirety.

Krank

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:51 pm

The Googlemaps is satellite image is well out of date. I'm based in Malvern East at the moment and I was commuting to Southbank until recently joining the bikepath at Malvern East train station.

Get yourself on the bike path and cross over at Malvern East and turn left then follow the signs. The 'invisible bridge' is at HA Smith Reserve and loops under the Monash Freeway before crossing beneath Glenferrie Road onto the underpass before emerging at Yarra Boulevard. It'll make sense when you ride it and it's straight forward until Yarra Boulevard but at that stage it's easy just to keep to the river on your left before your cross over at Morell Bridge (Anderson Street - didn't know the bridge had a name until now...). Remember to go behind the boat sheds and try to give yourself enough time otherwise you'll be tempted to abuse the rowing coaches who ride like they're texting after sinking half a carton. There's minimal car traffic to deal with but particularly between Great Valley Road and Chadstone there's a lot of sharp corners and foliage which hides oncoming riders so providing you can just enjoy the ride and forget about training/Strava/etc you'll be alright.

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:14 pm

If you're using Poath & Chadstone Roads, turn right at Waverley Rd instead of left and you'll see the GC track only about 100 metres away, complete with pedestrian lights. I use Murumbeena Rd a lot and find it no problem. Once again, turn right at Waverly Rd, then take first left and you're at the GC track pedestrian bridge next to E Malvern Station.

An alternative in the wet or dark is the track that runs thru the park beginning behind the Hughesdale shops. Turn left at the first street after the lights. It crosses Dandy Rd and goes right through to Waverley Rd near the GC track.

The earlier post about Neerim and Glen Eira Rds is good advice too - they are both good cycling roads.

Cheers, Graeme