Reid bicycles

Ned Flanders

Re: Reid bicycles

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 am

clackers wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote: Hi everyone, this is my 1st post. .
Ned, we don't know who you are.

Are you saying that for your first post in these forums, out of the many hundreds of interesting, funny, informative or controversial topics, you chose this - to mount a defence of a bike brand you apparently don't even own?

Just curious. ;-)
I found the discussion on this bike hilarious. I am not defending them and wouldn't buy one. I thought it was funny enough that it warranted a post to say thank you to everyone involved for brightening my day.

So you're saying there is other amusing stuff on here also???

I am not even a cyclist! A couple of mates are - they regularly do the MS Gong ride and Round the Bay each year. Not me too worried about being another road cycling statistic. Love the concept of owning a bike just scared about the dying part of the arrangement.....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 am

Parker wrote:Look, I just want to say that... I did a triathlon on the weekend and I passed a lot of Reids...

Just sayin
Didn't know they did a tri bike :?

Anyway, you'd pass a lot of kawasakis once you're warmed up.

Just sayin' :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mrned

Postby mrned » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Stumbled onto this thread whilst trying to find a bike known as "The Melbourne", bloody funny read, good way to wind down after work. anyways back to the reid.

Got a mate who has a Reid fixie, think it's a Harrier. Looks bloody nice, as you get to choose the colour of everything on it. He's had a lot of niggling problems though, chain coming off, sticking brakes and a sh*tload of punctures, dunno how he does it really. But like I said, it looks good.

And no, I'm not the same Ned as the one who posted above

Zeb

Postby Zeb » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 am

Hey, reading this thing's been confusing, but I'm considering getting a condor, I have very little money and my bike is falling to pieces.I'm mainly using the bike to get to and from school, friend's places. Not really going far out of the city. Has anyone actually bought one of these? A friend at school let me ride his briefly but it was hardly enough for me to tell if it was any good, and he's not really an expert on bikes so I'm not sure how much he'd know about how good it is. Yeah, any help would be rad, Cheers.
Not spam either.

tri-ing hard

Postby tri-ing hard » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Background - I am a bloke in his early 30's - cracked the Ton on the scales and struggled to keep up with my 5 yo.

So - I started doing a triathlon training program 6 weeks ago and for the first 4 weeks I used a Giant mountain bike I'd bought 12 months ago for $1K. Found it a bit hard to keep up with everyone in the pack (impossible) but found it hard to convince the minister for war and finance that I needed a second bike given the cheapest new entry level was $800 at the 2 local bike shops. Anyway I started looking for a second hand road bike locally with no luck.

Then I found the Reid website and this forum (googled "Reid Review") which was hardly helpfull because it's hard to cut through the synicsm and potential advertorials going on - so I thought I would post to give my 10 cents worth which will hopefully be helpfull.

Anyway - I bought a condor none the less - spoke to James on the phone and placed my order for a condor drop down bar for $219 plus $95 freight - came with Pump and lights and bottle rack.
They appear to be pretty busy at the moment because it didn't leave the warehouse til a week later (melbourne cup affected as well) but it did arrive within the 10 -14 days of placing the order.

To give a bit of a critique for the newbies out there I will give you the pros and cons and a final call:

Pros:

Cheap
Bike turned up well packed and needed very little assembly (attach weels, handle bars and seat).
It is a road bike so it goes quicker than my mountain bike.
Paint job is fine.

Cons:
- I ordered drop down bars but I received a flat bar - I rang the warehouse and they apologised and sent out the drop down bars, break levers and the gear levers (that attach to the stem on this model - like an old school repco bike). Unfortunately this required me to take the bike to the local dealer (mechanic) to assemble -he couldn't feed the drop down bars into the stem the flat bar was on- so I needed to buy a new stem to attach the bars - which is now easily height adjustable which is a bonus I guess. Cost of mechanic/parts was $150 which has turned the $310 price into $460.
- Free Pump is rated to 100 PSI but it gives out (leaks) at about 80.
- Lights are 2 little LED's with rubber casing like Fishing Lures - they do the job but don't try to relocate them because the rubber fastner snapped - I used a couple of cable ties to fix.
- Someone else posted an issue with Gears clicking - I found that on the small front cog I can only use 3 biggest gears on back and when on big front cog I can only use 3 smallest gears on back - takes some adjusting but I'm learning still.

Overall:

- It's the old addage - you get what you pay for.
- I am still getting left behind on the training rides (but not by as far or as early).
- My plan is simple - rack up enough K's on this cheap bike to either break it or justify an upgrade within the next 12 months. I figure given the absence of 2nd hand bikes around here - if it is still in 1 piece I should be able to get $200 for it in 12 months time so it wouldn't have cost me too much. May even look at offloading it to an introductory Tri person like I am now.
- It is not as good as the Giant road bike ($1200) that I tried out 1 day but given where I am at in my Tri-Career - it isn't going to be that big a difference in time - after I lose another 20 kg's it may become the difference.

- Overall I think the condor does a job - it fills a market for the "new to riding" cyclist who is worried about cost however just make sure you go in with eyes wide open.

Score 2/5 (when I was expecting a 3 so it isn't too bad).

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 pm

wait a minute....wait a minute. That might have been a fair dinkum review... :?

That has no place in the thread :lol:
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Looks honest to me. Now let's see if he posts in other threads that are non-Reid related.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

tri-ing hard

Postby tri-ing hard » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:42 pm

CommuRider wrote:Looks honest to me. Now let's see if he posts in other threads that are non-Reid related.
Since I haven't had my character assasinated (yet) - I think I will be looking at the forum for some help with the ever growing accessory list - I have been told that to improve at Triathlons - I also need proper shoes with cleats and a single strap so I can transition with the shoes already attached to the bike - also based on yesterday's performance I need a good line on some tubes that won't puncture - any other suggestions on where I need to go and what I need to get to accessorize my ride?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Might be worth having a look in the Triathlon section of BNA as they would be better able to answer your Triathlon specific questions. :wink:

Mr Sandman

Postby Mr Sandman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 am

tri-ing hard wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Looks honest to me. Now let's see if he posts in other threads that are non-Reid related.
Since I haven't had my character assasinated (yet) - I think I will be looking at the forum for some help with the ever growing accessory list -
Try
http://forums.transitions.org.au

Plenty of knob shiners but occasionally something useful.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:17 pm

bahahaha hilarious thread!

a friend just bought a fixie from there.. (harrier)

id been considering getting a cheap commuter / ride to the shops kinda bike. but from what id seen, most were $800 which i dont have at the moment.

ive gotta say... <$400 is very tempting. and you can choose your own colours! im going to wait to see what she says about it before i do it tho..

pity no one had any reviews of the fixies :(
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

psyclechick

Postby psyclechick » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 am

Yes... Funny thread... Have seen lots of 'hipsters' with these things around Melbourne and still don't see the attraction other than price...

I just think you get what you pay for....

*hugs her handmade Italian framed bike*

:-P
It only hurts if you let it....
You kids get off my lawn...I can say that now I am old...

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:37 pm

psyclechick wrote: I just think you get what you pay for....
With eyes wide open, have just received a $70 fixed gear wheelset from REIDs. Alex DA16s/Quando hubs/ stainless spokes. So shall see how they go. Have heard everything in reviews from 'plastic threads' to 'square bearings', but other reviews have been positive ....and, 70bucks is 70bucks. And theyre only for poodling around Ballarat / Lake Wendouree semi regularly, so wont be treated super hard, so hoping they fit the spec.

I will say though that James answered questions i had very quickly by email, and the wheels turned up well packed and super quick, so can fault the service, which is a great deal better than i have received at many a bike shop here in Brisbane. TIme will tell i guess, but really.. $70 !!
chop wood

Greenmachine

Postby Greenmachine » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Long time lurker....sorry guys-had a bad brake up from another forum and just wasn't ready to commit again. (pun intended)

On a serious note, these are an entry level bike, but 'entry level' in all levels of consumerism is getting worse and worse, you buy cheap and invariably you buy again, it's not designed to last it's designed to be CHEAP, and "good bikes aren't cheap and cheap bikes aren't good"

A guy brought in one of these reid bikes the other day to our shop and I couldn't believe how poorly it had been put together, no grease anywhere, wheels out of true, parts that were outdated even in the 60's and a loose headset.

Sure this is one sample out of what i'm unfortunately guessing is to be 100's of reid bikes plaguing the streets, and can't represent them all but it doesn't leave me feeling good knowing people who can't afford much will buy these then ride them to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, and stop riding because it becomes either too costly to fix or too hard to ride because they persist with mechanical problems.

/rant

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Welcome Greenmachine, you may want to take photos and contribute it to the BSO Hall of Shame

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47875
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Greenmachine

Postby Greenmachine » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 pm

CommuRider wrote:Welcome Greenmachine, you may want to take photos and contribute it to the BSO Hall of Shame

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47875
Thanks CommuRider, had never seen that site before, it's got some crackers on there.
Unfortunately they were in and out on the Reid so no chance to take some shots.
I'll keep it in mind next time I see something worthy.

MrDeathsGrip

Postby MrDeathsGrip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:18 pm

So I've been going through this thread, and I just wanted to share my Reid experience.
I bought a Harrier w/ deep rim wheels about 3-4 months ago now.
For the first week or two, It did fine getting me to and from uni.
First bit of trouble hit when I noticed a crack in the deep rim.. Meh not too bad, it's just cosmetic.
Then I had to replace the tires - as they were of such bad quality one of them punctured on a rock - a tiny rock.
Now my drive side crank is stuffed - and I tried to get the melbourne store to honor the warrant agreement. They informed me that my friend, who works (AT) bikeride in town (Hobart), wasn't sufficient as a bike mechanic - therefore nullifying the warranty of the bike.
Spewing.
So I dished out the money for a new drive side crank, and as I wanted to keep it simple - I just got it off Reidcycles..
I was told it would be here on Monday, it's now Thursday - and apparently it hasn't been sent via registered post, and I called the warehouse in Melbourne and the person I talked to was SO rude and just told me that it would be there soon.
WHAT BUSINESS DOESN'T USE REGISTERED POST?!
this has actually ruined my whole online shopping experience, especially with bikes.
I'm getting my next bike from a LBS - which I imagine will be soon - as I can't see this Harrier lasting too long.
So be warned.
and Mr. Reid if you are reading this - I am very disappointed -_-
/rant over.

Wutang87

Postby Wutang87 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Howdy all

I am a total beginner in the cycling scene - and look, as much as I wished to buy a quality ride - I just simply can't afford it. With the good technology these days,
a simple google search on reviews on bikes your interested is far too easy. So, after looking at ebay and having absolutely no idea what bike to get (I know absolutely nothing about a bike besides knowing how to pedal it and using the brakes - end of story). If you say 'deep rims' - I will be what is a deep rim? So, yes, with this 'absolutely know nothing' mind, I was like 'what freaking bike to get' - just so many choices and types.

Primary Use - Ride on Eastlink to work on weekends (15-20km one way journey). So, after research, a road bike or hybrid was the choice.
So I looked up road bikes (using bike exchange) and using the sort 'cheapest' - Boom, Reid cycles pops up. Yep, you all know the story, and I, before purchasing the bike read alot about it. But I was like, okay, saw some Giant alamode and a GT branded bike from bicycle HQ in Carnegie for $299 - I thought they were worth getting (considering that is around my budget). Hit me up all you want, I know this is considered the 'pathetic entry level of road bikes' but I mean, I simply don't have the $$$ to buy one. If you want to say 'Might as well don't get one' - I'm like stuff you, this is me, I'll give it a shot, $239 later, only thing I'll get out of it is at least I can 'sort of' review it from a 'noob' perspective. And the free items would probably equate to a cost of no more than $9 being that 'quality' but won't complain for the price, I asked for it at the price paid.

Don't worry, this won't be my only post, i'll post later since its late at night. I did have a short ride - the underlying message is treat the bike as a baby because its that fragile - every bang on the wheels (ie running over a pothole) or a branch sounded like something came loose in the bike. Your crotch will definitely feel the impact. Well, this is a road bike after all, I can't compare it because I never had a road bike before, only mountain bikes. On second thoughts, and judging by the quality of things, I mean, I don't need to be an expert to realise poor quality but I was expecting it. More or less, I'll definitely not take this for a ride on eastlink, ill just ride to the shops (5km) and around the local bike track - god knows what will happen next with this bike.

The bike is kind of something you expect from the 'reject shop' - last time I brought a four tier storage shelf on wheels, the plastic quality was so bad one wheel snapped off (plastic cracked so loosened) - I guess that's the quality you'll be expecting from this bike.

I haven't tried it fully yet, only did like a 5 minute ride on my street so can't really review it too great.
But like as many have said, - don't go fast as well, the brakes isn't great. Faster = dangerous, on the Condor, Faster = Freaking dangerous.
Wheels worn out really quick

Wutang87

Postby Wutang87 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

So from what I just said - I pretty much contradicted my original plans of getting a road or hybrid bike to ride eastlink.
Reid isn't really classified as a 'LBS' - more like a warehouse just pushing sales and not really caring about customer service.
I'm pretty sure all their customers are just 'first timers' and never come back - unless they have had issues with their first reid.

This was kinda an impulse buy, I just saw all the other freebies and said - why not, give a punt. Think I'm kinda regretting it already lol - i'll
probably hunt for a mountain bike now or a hybrid. But i'll test this thing tommorow and i'll post it somewhere.

But it's kinda useless because everyone here already knows how good reid is, or lack thereof. But I can't judge a book by its cover - I have to test it. Then
again the quality really is lacking big time.

wwm

Postby wwm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 pm

2 separate Reid's came into our shop last week with completely flat tyres from the owner's first ride. Replaced the tube only to get a blow out straight away, inspected and found the super flimsy rim tape (more like plastic bag) had torn apart. Replaced rim tape and tube. Advised the customer to take it back for a refund to buy a better and cheaper bike (I think he had the condor). Overnight both tyres completely deflated. Needless to say he took the bike back and got his refund and bought a perfectly decent repco for 1/3 of the price. My question is-what are they putting in these rims, broken glass perhaps?!?

MrDeathsGrip

Postby MrDeathsGrip » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Something I forgot to mention, Thankyou wwm, I had had 2x blown tubes - and I've replaced the tyers.. Gay

mjedw1

Postby mjedw1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Ordered an Osprey model before Christmas, and despite assurances it would be delivered 2 weeks into January I was finally able to pick it up two weeks ago.

I am just looking at getting into riding to try and shift some weight accumulated in the ten years since I stopped riding to school. Wasn't sure how serious, still aren't, I would be about riding so decided to get something cheaper to start out. To my eye these looked a much better option than a Kmart special. Two weeks of riding, 20-30min every day, and no problems so far. Brakes did rub against the rims when delivered but a little adjustment fixed that, wheels still may be a bit out. Four friends also got bikes from Reid for Christmas, 2xCondor's and 2 of the girls models, no problems with those either.

I think the bikes have a place, as a better alternative to a Kmart special, but they won't be all things to all people.

Wutang87

Postby Wutang87 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:43 pm

One thing I noticed is the wheel shaft or whatever you call it - like a ceramic tube that holds the wheels (front) if your rotate it - it's not smooth
like it's meant to be. All the components are of the 'lowest range'

Hate the use of allen key to adjust the seat

Riding - not overly smooth but I guess I'm used to mountain bikes so can't really compare.

After a few rides
- Threading on the wheels already gone - doesn't seem like it will last long
- Brake pads - always goes off center so scrapes the wheel rims when riding
- One of my brake levers was becoming 'sticky' - not as smooth

And I only ridden barely 5kms total on the bike, already showing signs of wear and tear.

In Summary - nothing need to be said as I already got rid of the bike lol.
I got a hybrid with suspension. My backside hurted from the instance I sat on the reid - well all the little bumps even on the road can be felt through.

rotella

Postby rotella » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Thank god for forums like this. Was going to buy an Osprey. No way will I even consider Reid cycles anywhere. The combination of incompetent and unscrupulous marketing is hilarious.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm

I love the fact that the rieviews went from how fantastic the bikes are to how much they are garbage.

Have I made to many posts already to rieview one or talk about how I plan to buy one?