Reid bicycles

unavailablerequest
Location: stuck somewhere in a very small island, forever, i guess :(

Re: Reid bicycles

Postby unavailablerequest » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 am

thanks ken

*wow... he wrote all those stuff... hes good...
2014 Lynskey Peloton
2011 Cervelo RS - SOLD
2008 Avanti Corsa - SOLD

sv650_fan

Postby sv650_fan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I found this thread because I has seen some Reid bikes advertised on the web, and I remain gobstopped at the price of some road bikes out there. I am even more gobstopped at some of the comments on this thread. Geez, some of the people here take themselves far too seriously...get over yourselves, guys (and girls).

Will I buy a Reid? Dunno, I might to try to get a good priced something else at my local bike store, who look after my other bikes pretty well. But I understand other people who do buy a Reid.

Yes, bikes, we are up to 6 at the moment. Three in the family bike racing. And I still think some people take themselves far too seriously when it comes to cycling.

Now, I am going to drop out , and no doubt get accused of being some type of spammer for Reid. By people who think that if you don't spend 4k on a bike you are not a real cyclist, and have no right to comment on these forums.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 am

The List of posters in this thread who have disappeared - never to return :shock: :shock: :shock:
vforward
markngan
ashley82
jack94
MrXcmaniac
adamgreene
newrider94
AvniTumay
darryla
timmophil
sv650_fan
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 am

sv650_fan wrote:I found this thread because I has seen some Reid bikes advertised on the web, and I remain gobstopped at the price of some road bikes out there. I am even more gobstopped at some of the comments on this thread. Geez, some of the people here take themselves far too seriously...get over yourselves, guys (and girls).

Will I buy a Reid? Dunno, I might to try to get a good priced something else at my local bike store, who look after my other bikes pretty well. But I understand other people who do buy a Reid.

Yes, bikes, we are up to 6 at the moment. Three in the family bike racing. And I still think some people take themselves far too seriously when it comes to cycling.

Now, I am going to drop out , and no doubt get accused of being some type of spammer for Reid. By people who think that if you don't spend 4k on a bike you are not a real cyclist, and have no right to comment on these forums.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance required STAT!!!!!

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:58 pm

This thread still indeed does ROCK!!!!

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:44 pm

aaron wrote:This thread still indeed does ROCK!!!!
+1

And the List ala keny-G rocks
KenGS wrote:The List of posters in this thread who have disappeared - never to return :shock: :shock: :shock:
vforward
markngan
ashley82
jack94
MrXcmaniac
adamgreene
newrider94
AvniTumay
darryla
timmophil
sv650_fan

unavailablerequest

Postby unavailablerequest » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 am

aaron wrote:This thread still indeed does ROCK!!!!
its more like the price and brand of "Reid" arouse suspicious and they probably went to google and hit some key which brings them here... that was how i found my way... :)
2014 Lynskey Peloton
2011 Cervelo RS - SOLD
2008 Avanti Corsa - SOLD

timmophil

Postby timmophil » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:20 pm

timmophil never even left the building...the two bike my wife and daughter bought have completed the down under ride twice without a hitch..In fact I am going to get the osprey for my son..who is also doing the down under thingy..so I ve manned up where is the fat controller whop removed my last thread..please fess up and tell everyone what you've bought and you experience..no ramblings thanks!! :mrgreen: :roll:

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 pm

timmophil wrote:timmophil never even left the building...the two bike my wife and daughter bought have completed the down under ride twice without a hitch..In fact I am going to get the osprey for my son..who is also doing the down under thingy..so I ve manned up where is the fat controller whop removed my last thread..please fess up and tell everyone what you've bought and you experience..no ramblings thanks!! :mrgreen: :roll:
Look below... you said another couple of years before you'd come back! Bit early isn't it. Last time you said the stuff below.
timmophil wrote:poo missy my wife and daughter both bought Aquilla's from REID CYCLES in MELBOURNE..They are both training for the TOUR DOWN UNDER They have both been training most weeks clocking up just under 500ks each..no problems at all..in fact they are absolutley stoked with their VALUE FOR MONEY BIKES While my girls are out training MISSY spends time COMPLAINING and yes this is probably going to be my one and only post for some time but rest assured you will get another post in a couple of years time to tell you how the bikes are performing..
Mike bikes faster than your cause its got better carbon.

klausington

Postby klausington » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Thought I'd ad my tuppence worth - agree with earlier comments, some people on this forum seem to get a bit too excited about spamming, though maybe with good reason - who knows! Anyway, I am a new member so feel free to have a go at me too for spamming if you like, though I'm not. Email me with questions if you want (presumably you can private message people here?) Regardless, I bought a Condor from Reid in Newtown in Sydney about two weeks ago. The guys in the shop were reasonably helpful with my questions. I bought this to do the Sydney Gong ride. I have used it so far to cruise around Bondi and also I rode from Brighton-le-Sands to Cronulla and back this weekend (about 30km round trip). I'm perfectly happy with the bike so far. The front brakes are slightly close to the wheels (they rub slightly), and some of the gear configurations seem to make a slight noise (i.e. chain rubbing somewhere). I reckon a bit of tinkering with the gears should probably sort out and the brakes likewise, we shall see. Point is I suppose it's possible it could have been set up a bit better - though perhaps this happens with all new bikes?
I used to ride a Marin Mill Valley 18km a day in London for a couple of years and loved it. I am enjoying the Condor almost as much. I know they are obviously different bikes/prices/quality but for me who just wants a bike that works and moves nice and fast, it's perfect and SO cheap. I paid $220. Would I recommend to friends - I would indeed. I can't comment on the longevity of the bike yet obviously.....

Let the outrage begin :)

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 am

Hey I plan on buying one of the Reids ladies bikes to get to and from work over the summer, its a 5km commute each way from Brunswick, I wouldn't use it for the commute from the boyfriends house cause its 20km but it will suit me in the city.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:22 pm

710 posts too late :P
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

unavailablerequest

Postby unavailablerequest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 am

klausington wrote:Thought I'd ad my tuppence worth - agree with earlier comments, some people on this forum seem to get a bit too excited about spamming, though maybe with good reason - who knows! Anyway, I am a new member so feel free to have a go at me too for spamming if you like, though I'm not. Email me with questions if you want (presumably you can private message people here?) Regardless, I bought a Condor from Reid in Newtown in Sydney about two weeks ago. The guys in the shop were reasonably helpful with my questions. I bought this to do the Sydney Gong ride. I have used it so far to cruise around Bondi and also I rode from Brighton-le-Sands to Cronulla and back this weekend (about 30km round trip). I'm perfectly happy with the bike so far. The front brakes are slightly close to the wheels (they rub slightly), and some of the gear configurations seem to make a slight noise (i.e. chain rubbing somewhere). I reckon a bit of tinkering with the gears should probably sort out and the brakes likewise, we shall see. Point is I suppose it's possible it could have been set up a bit better - though perhaps this happens with all new bikes?
I used to ride a Marin Mill Valley 18km a day in London for a couple of years and loved it. I am enjoying the Condor almost as much. I know they are obviously different bikes/prices/quality but for me who just wants a bike that works and moves nice and fast, it's perfect and SO cheap. I paid $220. Would I recommend to friends - I would indeed. I can't comment on the longevity of the bike yet obviously.....

Let the outrage begin :)
we dont really care if youre one of his spokesman or what but as long youre happy with it that is all matter. and as for your brakes, try loosening the nuts should work. :)
2014 Lynskey Peloton
2011 Cervelo RS - SOLD
2008 Avanti Corsa - SOLD

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 am

KenGS wrote:710 posts too late :P
Shoot :mrgreen:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Parker wrote:Hey I plan on buying one of the Reids ladies bikes to get to and from work over the summer, its a 5km commute each way from Brunswick, I wouldn't use it for the commute from the boyfriends house cause its 20km but it will suit me in the city.
AND because it is a Reid no one is likely to steal it on you...........sounds like a win/win to me. :mrgreen:

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:06 am

greyhoundtom wrote:
Parker wrote:Hey I plan on buying one of the Reids ladies bikes to get to and from work over the summer, its a 5km commute each way from Brunswick, I wouldn't use it for the commute from the boyfriends house cause its 20km but it will suit me in the city.
AND because it is a Reid no one is likely to steal it on you...........sounds like a win/win to me. :mrgreen:
Thats the idea

newtown nightrider

Postby newtown nightrider » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:11 pm

I found this topic as i stumbled across the REID bike shop today in Enmore rd. I'm in the market for a new lightweight bike as i'm currently on a downhill race bike worth 3k and heavy.
I have entered many bike shops in the area and always seem the get some one that has got out of bed on the wrong side and don't even acknowledge you, especially NEWTOWN cycles are very consistent.
I walked into REID and was amazed that i was attended to, answered my questions and also gave me advise on their bikes. I will be buying the $199 entry level get around bike as it has a nice clean slick look and very light. I can leave this bike outside Correllis while i have a coffee and not worry about it getting 5 fingered. I know the price reflects the quality and made in china as is any other big dollar bike Giant etc so at this price you could chuck it out in the back lane and go again every 6 months. I have no connection with this bike shop or the owner but on monday i will when i purchase my bike with 5 years warranty.
PS. I'm not a spammer and don't get upset.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Good on you I hope you have a lot of fun with this bike as the price is certainly excellent. :D

Don’t take some of the posts on this string too seriously as we tend to kid about a bit about this topic mainly because it appeared to be a spammer thread in the first place.

At the same time I have had a look at some of the Reid bikes and do think they are great value compared to the boat anchors that are sold in Kmart and Big W as bicycles.

Cheers,
Tom

lakurumau

Postby lakurumau » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 pm

I've been spotting these around Uni. Frequently over the last few weeks I've seen a bike I like the look of and when I investigate further I see the Reid Cycles web address on it. This has happened with several "pretty bikes" I've seen over the past few weeks.

So I like the aesthetics; the look catches my eye! Haven't ridden one, though.

Mr Sandman

Postby Mr Sandman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 am

I am almost a little worried to bump this thread as this is all of post 2 for me :lol: What is contained below is completely unsolicited. Shame the way this thread has gone. I found it because I was googling Reid Cycles to see if they had started doing cheap Track bikes and what was on offer. Nothing though it seems.

I have one of these, the Falco. I bought it in August as I live in the middle east (hence user the name) and was visiting my family in OZ and the lovely people at Air France broke my flash road bike earlier returning from a cycling trip so wanted a cheapie to tide me over. I read about these on another forum. What interested me was that the Falco was coming with the new 'flash' 105 group set with 'internal' cabling from the STIs. I have SRAM on my bike and the feel of Shimano shifters has never been my thing but apparently (and actually) the new ones are very similar to SRAM in the hand.

Anyway, for 800 bucks, I got an alloy frame, carbon fork new 105 equipped bike over night shipped to Brisbane with some lights, biddon, cage and a pump tossed in the box. Only initial failing was that the front wheel was missing the skewer. No biggie as I had access to another so never chased it up. Only breakage issue was a spoke on the rear wheel let go when I went from a track stand in the big ring and gave it a pretty solid shove. I am the wrong side of 90 kilos so spoke breakages are a pretty regular thing for me anyway. Still not ideal as I had under 1000 kays on the thing but !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens. Cost me $4 to fix. Apart from that, I can't fault the thing. Great value. Only point of note is that they come with a 52 tooth big ring and 172.5mm crank plus like many bulk build bikes, the bars were obviously bought to fit them all and would be a 40cm (I usually use 44 and 177.5 crank) Head tubes are fairly short as well. I got the 60 cm and would expect something the other side of 200mm but it is probably a fair bit less than that. Again, not a great problem for me as I ride a fair drop normally but could be a problem for someone starting out or with back issues.

Rode it just this morning and will be doing so again tomorrow. For all the schenanigans in this thread, I will state that the Falco specifically is a very good buy and there is no reason why I would advise anyone considering it not to do so.

Have at it :roll:

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 am

Like they say: Don't go into a cave unless it's empty

Another post purchase review highlighted a broken spoke problem viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45663&p=694542&hilit=reid#p694227 and poor after sales service
Now there's missing skewers so overall there's a history of poor quality build. Not biggies for someone with spares lying around and can do their own repairs but for a noob could be a bit of a downer and isn't that their market?
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Ned Flanders

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:13 pm

I love it.

Hi everyone, this is my 1st post. I also found this thread when I was searching for a review of Reid cycles. I had started seeing them locked to lamp posts in the Melbourne and Sydney CBD's. Strange way to advertise a bike company.

I have read this tread in it's entirety and I have to say it is some of the funniest stuff I have read. Geez, don't some people take themselves seriously. I don't care whether reid cycles are any good or not - BUT you get what you pay for.

Kudos to the company in trying to get the word out anyway they can. It amazes me that some people care some much about what other people think about bikes. I reckon that if you are trying to convince someone else that the bike you bought is great and are defending the purchase to the hilt then you probably regret it yourself.

But hey, don't stop on my part - makes for hilarious reading and helps me get through slow days at work. And for that I say thank you to all.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: Hi everyone, this is my 1st post. .
Ned, we don't know who you are.

Are you saying that for your first post in these forums, out of the many hundreds of interesting, funny, informative or controversial topics, you chose this - to mount a defence of a bike brand you apparently don't even own?

Just curious. ;-)

Mr Sandman

Postby Mr Sandman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:45 am

Just to prove I actually do exist, I came back for a follow up read... :lol:
KenGS wrote:Like they say: Don't go into a cave unless it's empty

Another post purchase review highlighted a broken spoke problem
Now there's missing skewers so overall there's a history of poor quality build.
That's probably a little over the top. A couple of examples of broken spokes does not legitimately point to poor build quality for the entire bike. Incidentally, like the guy in the other thread I put a pair of Fulcrum 7s on as a replacement. Alex wheels are junk, there is no question of that but theyt still put them on all kinds of branded machines.. When I ordered mine, there was an option to have Aksiums instead for some extra price. Assuming the dude who runs the place checks back from time to time, I suggest that they just make Aksiums the standard wheel and adjust the price accordingly. The tyres that came standard I took straight off and put on a pair of GP4000s so can't comment on the quality of them but at a glance they weren't going to float my boat, of that I am sure.

Still, the 800 bucks I paid I could not even buy the 5700 group set from Wiggle for.

Hey, Mr Reid, if you are still reading, you have got to put a Track bike together. Price it under $500 and you will sell hundreds. Stacks of people want to give Track a go but don't want to drop the 900-1000 for an entry level bike. Let me know and I will gladly buy one.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 am

Look, I just want to say that... I did a triathlon on the weekend and I passed a lot of Reids...

Just sayin