Potential Vic Bikepacking routes 2-7 days?

dalai47

Re: Potential Vic Bikepacking routes 2-7 days?

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for the tips.

slaw

Postby slaw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:23 am

Of course these tracks have been done by others. I've ridden parts of that loop over the years - Licola, Pinnacles, Howitt Rd, King Billy track on the west side, and Dargo, Grant, Dargo High Plains rd on the east. But have not done Billy Goats or Zeka. One day...

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:03 pm

slaw wrote:Of course these tracks have been done by others. I've ridden parts of that loop over the years - Licola, Pinnacles, Howitt Rd, King Billy track on the west side, and Dargo, Grant, Dargo High Plains rd on the east. But have not done Billy Goats or Zeka. One day...
Was just wondering about that water proof long green bag you are sleeping in on that Blog of yours. Just wonder what brand it is and were I can purchase one. Oh and how much. looks like Its a Type of bivvy bag?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Great read Slaw, your blog captured the drama and beauty well, particularly on the high plains. I've ridden it also in very wet, muddy, cold conditions and your description brought back those horrible at the time but glad to have done it in hindsight memories. :wink:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:03 pm

slaw wrote:Of course these tracks have been done by others. I've ridden parts of that loop over the years - Licola, Pinnacles, Howitt Rd, King Billy track on the west side, and Dargo, Grant, Dargo High Plains rd on the east. But have not done Billy Goats or Zeka. One day...
Already been reading though that blog for inspiration. :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:07 am

Yes, you name the day, slaw, and I'll join you :D :wink: Still have to do the Dargo High Plains too.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:10 am

cranky-1 wrote:
Was just wondering about that water proof long green bag you are sleeping in on that Blog of yours. Just wonder what brand it is and were I can purchase one. Oh and how much. looks like Its a Type of bivvy bag?
AFAIK that is not slaw's blog (he's a good bit older than 40 :wink: ).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
cranky-1 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

slaw

Postby slaw » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:51 pm

il padrone wrote:
cranky-1 wrote:
Correct :D

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Mega dig...

But seeing as this thread popped up in my search while looking for an answer to this:

Does anyone know if you can ride the crosscut saw? Was thinking of going from the car park to Mt speculation or so (before the path gets too lost). Lots of the photos I've seen look pretty good but I've never seen anything recorded about someone taking a bike. So is it possible and if so is it allowed?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I've not been on the crosscut for 30 something years, but my memory of it is that as the name suggests it is a number of short, steep hills that were difficult enough to walk over, It wouldn't have occurred to me to even try it on a bike, (although I have never developed any off-road skill). As to whether it is allowed or not I have no idea, but I suspect that any walkers you encounter up that way would tell you to go to Buggery.

I did manage to find this though.
trailhiking.com.au wrote:The Crosscut Saw is a scramble along a narrow ridge and is not for those with a fear of heights. We will be walking at a moderate pace with few stops and as such this hike is not suitable for inexperienced hikers.

Cheers,

Cameron

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 pm

According to this link cycling is not allowed on walking tracks in the Alpine National Park...http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... ike-riding

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Stovepipe wrote:Mega dig...

But seeing as this thread popped up in my search while looking for an answer to this:

Does anyone know if you can ride the crosscut saw? Was thinking of going from the car park to Mt speculation or so (before the path gets too lost). Lots of the photos I've seen look pretty good but I've never seen anything recorded about someone taking a bike. So is it possible and if so is it allowed?
I think the legality issue has been covered above.

But in terms of sheer practicality, as well as just the extended rock sections you would have to walk the bike over at the Mac Springs, there are some cliff climbs at the Mt Spec end, which would require hauling your bike up on a rope.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Stovepipe wrote:Mega dig...

Does anyone know if you can ride the crosscut saw? ....
Some places it's just better to leave to bushwalkers. I like riding and walking but some places are just better on foot.

Maybe ride there and do some walking yourself for a day off the bike. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Ah damn, I must have only seen the pretty dirt path photos.
Thanks guys.

Was keen to ride as it looks like an awesome area but my ankle is not very compatible with hiking...

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Stovepipe wrote:Ah damn, I must have only seen the pretty dirt path photos.
Thanks guys.

Was keen to ride as it looks like an awesome area but my ankle is not very compatible with hiking...
Yeah, it's a pretty magical part of the world.

You could ride to Camp Creek, about a 5-10 minutes ankle-friendly walk below Mt Spec from where you get most of the (magnficent views).

Of course, there'll probably be a Danny McAskill video of it some day.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Only ever heard of people walking it (and it is a pretty darn challenging walk, especially when a rough NW blizzard sets in).

http://hikingfiasco.com/2013/12/07/mt-s ... onal-park/