Road closures in rural areas for bike rides

bychosis

Re: Road closures in rural areas for bike rides

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:40 am

You’ve said your piece, but seem upset now that a cycling forum doesn’t agree with you. Strange. :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

road_warrior

Postby road_warrior » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Taking a step back and looking at the big picture, I find the postings by Otway very strange. The person might be troll, and if they are not what are they trying to achieve?

Either way, while the Gran Fondo might not survive, it won't have a big impact on the cycling scene. I often brought my family of 5 to the area for a holiday for that weekend. Accommodation was very hard to get. I am guessing there will be a lot more vacancies now. The date of the event was chosen to be offset from school holidays, and all local accomm was 2-3 nights to encourage weekend stays.

*Shrug* plenty of other places to spend my money. I suspect that a vocal minority was involved in this, and if the locals can't band together properly, they are going to struggle in the future.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm

otway wrote:
fat and old wrote:
Well old man of course they are putting in the effort to inform everyone as they have been put on notice, they did not put in the same effort last year.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exposed for the person you are. Have a good one; enjoy the area you live in. Etc etc.

Hmmm...yeah , exposed for what? They got a kick up bum from council who honoured their support for this year and withdrew it for 2019/20 http://www.colacotway.vic.gov.au/News-m ... re-in-2018 Simple as that, Goodbye.

You really do believe what you post aye? That’s even sadder.

Have a nice day, must be nice on the beach,

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 am

As I said earlier, thank you for not buying Australian,

http://www.traveller.com.au/from-shangh ... road-1hjbi

http://www.afr.com/news/chinese-tourist ... 930-grsbwg

By closing the road this is what you are stopping. So there is no economic benefit from Amy's Grand Fondo.

I am okay you guy's have had a bit of fun mocking my view, Yes fat and old I really do believe what I post, ridiculous statement you made in my opinion. Why would I bother coming on and posting something I don't believe? :roll: Yes the beach is very nice, everyday, now on your bike cube-monkey, off to work, burn off some of that fat. :lol:

What I get out of this thread is that you are as whole a self centered bunch. You want something, you have the money, so it's for the greater good. You keep on banging on about the loud minority, councils back majorities not minorities.

I'd rather have tourists from overseas that will look you in the eye and smile and say good morning than the lycra crowd that will give you a strange look for a good morning greeting and keep walking.

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:06 am

otway wrote: What I get out of this thread is that you are as whole a self centered bunch. You want something, you have the money, so it's for the greater good. You keep on banging on about the loud minority, councils back majorities not minorities.

I'd rather have tourists from overseas that will look you in the eye and smile and say good morning than the lycra crowd that will give you a strange look for a good morning greeting and keep walking.
I haven't read your links (my internet is throttled for the next few days so really slow). Whilst I think you have a point regarding access to property, I think that some of the comments you have been making clearly indicate that you simply don't like cyclists and no amount explanation would satisfy you.

No one here is going to change your mind. Haters will be haters.

road_warrior

Postby road_warrior » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

otway wrote:
What I get out of this thread is that you are as whole a self centered bunch.

Hey Otway, it is a shame because I have enjoyed reading your posts until now. You presented some evidence, albeit mostly anecdotal. Talked reasonably about having roads closed, and unequal sharing of the benefits, which are not unreasonable arguments. Asking the AGF to make donations to certain local institutions was almost reasonable, although starting to get a little on the murky side.

However now you have gone down the 'you people' style arguments, and this is disappointing. That is fine, but maybe reflect a little on what is motivating you, and ask yourself if generalisations like this do your cause any good.

vaypaz

Postby vaypaz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:13 am

otway wrote:

You must think pretty poorly of cyclists if you think Chinese tourists are better behaved!

Money talks huh

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 am

otway wrote: I'd rather have tourists from overseas that will look you in the eye and smile and say good morning
Good luck getting Chinese Tourists to do that. They generally stick to themselves and tend to be quit shy when around strangers.
the lycra crowd
Now we get to your real bias.
So if no lycra is that OK? Would a triathlon be OK? Would a marathon be OK?

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 am

road_warrior wrote:
otway wrote:

Hey Otway, it is a shame because I have enjoyed reading your posts until now. You presented some evidence, albeit mostly anecdotal. Talked reasonably about having roads closed, and unequal sharing of the benefits, which are not unreasonable arguments. Asking the AGF to make donations to certain local institutions was almost reasonable, although starting to get a little on the murky side.

However now you have gone down the 'you people' style arguments, and this is disappointing. That is fine, but maybe reflect a little on what is motivating you, and ask yourself if generalisations like this do your cause any good.
I was just reflecting the attitude of a few people that have replied, the "loud minority" falls into the you people style argument don't you think?
Yes I agree, donations are a bit on the murky side, but they are a charitable organisation and people are out there trying to raise funds and AGF does help fund bike paths, so it did make sense to ask them, but since we are not in the city they are not interested. https://www.apollobay.vic.au/apollo-bay ... reek-trail

You can't really blame me for have a dig at old fatso could you? His illogical jibes just tipped me over the edge. :lol:

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
otway wrote: I'd rather have tourists from overseas that will look you in the eye and smile and say good morning
Good luck getting Chinese Tourists to do that. They generally stick to themselves and tend to be quit shy when around strangers.
the lycra crowd
I have no problem, had a chat to a nice older Chinese gentleman this morning, I see them every morning on the beach, many of them are witnessing their first sunrise in Australia and are loving the fresh air, really nice well mannered people are the Asian tourists.
Maybe it's more about you and the vibe that you radiate?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 am

otway wrote:You can't really blame me for have a dig at old fatso could you? His illogical jibes just tipped me over the edge. :lol:
Most attempts at insulting people reveal more about your own prejudices and ignorance - the fact that you are willing to stereotype a bloke you know little about, let alone decide on the character of a nation of 1 billion people based on a bloke you met on the beach reveals just how vacuous your thinking is.

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am

vaypaz wrote:
otway wrote:

You must think pretty poorly of cyclists if you think Chinese tourists are better behaved!

Money talks huh
Asian people are well mannered and humble , if you do something for them they are very grateful and will thank you, shake your hand.

Australian on holiday at Christmas? Any long weekend all rules get thrown out the window, Motorists , cyclist and pedestrians. At least the Asians don't know the driving regs.

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 am

find_bruce wrote:
otway wrote:You can't really blame me for have a dig at old fatso could you? His illogical jibes just tipped me over the edge. :lol:
Most attempts at insulting people reveal more about your own prejudices and ignorance - the fact that you are willing to stereotype a bloke you know little about, let alone decide on the character of a nation of 1 billion people based on a bloke you met on the beach reveals just how vacuous your thinking is.
LOL Like I said I meet them every day on the beach, so it's not just one bloke. Twist it as you like.

Was I stereotyping Fatso or the Chinese? Hold on how many times have I been stereotyped on this thread by you guys?
Last edited by otway on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 am

otway wrote:LOL Like I said I meet them every day on the beach, so it's not just one bloke. Twist it as you like.
You've met more than 1 billion people, wow busy beach

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 am

find_bruce wrote:
otway wrote:LOL Like I said I meet them every day on the beach, so it's not just one bloke. Twist it as you like.
You've met more than 1 billion people, wow busy beach
No but over the years I I've met quite a few and travelled through Asia quite a bit, twist it as you like.
Last edited by otway on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

road_warrior

Postby road_warrior » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 am

otway wrote:
Arbuckle23 wrote:
the lycra crowd
I have no problem, had a chat to a nice older Chinese gentleman this morning, I see them every morning on the beach, many of them are witnessing their first sunrise in Australia and are loving the fresh air, really nice well mannered people are the Asian tourists.
Wow, you are doing it again. You like Chinese gentlemen, who walk on the beach and witness sunrises and smile. You hate men in lycra. Are there other criteria we should be aware of? What about Chinese men in lycra witnessing sunsets, with neutral expressions? :D

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am

road_warrior wrote:
otway wrote:
Arbuckle23 wrote: Good luck getting Chinese Tourists to do that. They generally stick to themselves and tend to be quit shy when around strangers.

Wow, you are doing it again. You like Chinese gentlemen, who walk on the beach and witness sunrises and smile. You hate men in lycra. Are there other criteria we should be aware of? What about Chinese men in lycra witnessing sunsets, with neutral expressions? :D
Your right, when I see a "bunch" of people in lycra together I'm pretty confident that they are !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! best to be avoided. Whereas I see a solo person in Lycra they are just a person and I will take them as they come.
There you go, that's what you've been waiting for isn't it?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 am

otway wrote: Yes the beach is very nice, everyday, now on your bike cube-monkey, off to work, burn off some of that fat. :lol:
As is the beach at home, where I live. I don't actually work that much, I pay people like you to do that. I just ride around and watch them :D

Illogical jibes? I gave evidence that the ride was well publicised in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017....all in your local papers and community websites. You still maintained that they had only just started due to the local pressure. That's all. Didn't even call you out for the stupid moron that you are....kept it nice and civil, if provocative :wink: You bit, and displayed your bias.

Fool :lol:

As said earlier, enjoy your community and lifestyle. I wish you no bad fortune :D

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am

fat and old wrote:
otway wrote: Yes the beach is very nice, everyday, now on your bike cube-monkey, off to work, burn off some of that fat. :lol:
As is the beach at home, where I live. I don't actually work that much, I pay people like you to do that. I just ride around and watch them :D

Illogical jibes? I gave evidence that the ride was well publicised in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017....all in your local papers and community websites. You still maintained that they had only just started due to the local pressure. That's all. Didn't even call you out for the stupid moron that you are....kept it nice and civil, if provocative :wink: You bit, and displayed your bias.

Fool :lol:

As said earlier, enjoy your community and lifestyle. I wish you no bad fortune :D
So what your telling me is your a pretentious twat, I agree. :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 am

No, I'm telling you that all the information you all needed to organise your lives was publicised on your own community websites and newspapers, ever since the ride began. If you can't understand that, then I'm sorry.

Have a nice day :D

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 am

but not for the 2017event, but you only read what you want to.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Just be careful all

I feel otway may be searching for a bit of personal abuse to be shared around social media later to show what bunch of nasty people those "lycra types" are.

Why else would you bother to search out a cycling forum and try and provoke reactions.

road_warrior

Postby road_warrior » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Just be careful all

I feel otway may be searching for a bit of personal abuse to be shared around social media later to show what bunch of nasty people those "lycra types" are.

Why else would you bother to search out a cycling forum and try and provoke reactions.
Yes probably. I tell you one thing though. Last year I spent about $1400 between food/accomm/entry fees for my family. After this discussion I am seriously thinking of making a direct cash donation to AGF.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 pm

otway wrote:but not for the 2017event, but you only read what you want to.
Aye? As posted

Apollo Bay Community Website 2017
https://www.apollobay.vic.au/apollo-bay ... gran-fondo

That included this
Traffic Hotline

For information and advice during the event, a traffic hotline will operate at the following times:

• Friday 15 September between 9:00am and 5:00pm

• Saturday 16 September between 9:00am and 8:00pm

• Sunday 17 September between 5:30am and 4:30pm

The contact for the traffic hotline is 0448 813 433.

The contact email for any traffic concerns is operations@sme360.com.au.
Colac-Otway Shire site, 2017
http://www.colacotway.vic.gov.au/Upcomi ... Gran-Fondo

Seriously...it was right there. I'm not making this up. And here

https://www.colacherald.com.au/2017/09/ ... pollo-bay/

In the newspaper too, with the local business fella giving it the "wait and see".

Are you sure you're not the one reading what you want to? Look, I get it. The road closures suck, you don't really like cyclists, etc etc. That's all good....I live in an area that depends on being able to gouge the tourists to the eyeballs for survival (or so they say anyway) and am familiar with the concept so don't really care. But sheesh....be honest with us and yourself.

otway

Postby otway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 pm

fat and old wrote:
otway wrote:but not for the 2017event, but you only read what you want to.
Aye? As posted

Apollo Bay Community Website 2017
https://www.apollobay.vic.au/apollo-bay ... gran-fondo

That included this
Traffic Hotline

For information and advice during the event, a traffic hotline will operate at the following times:

• Friday 15 September between 9:00am and 5:00pm

• Saturday 16 September between 9:00am and 8:00pm

• Sunday 17 September between 5:30am and 4:30pm

The contact for the traffic hotline is 0448 813 433.

The contact email for any traffic concerns is operations@sme360.com.au.
Colac-Otway Shire site, 2017
http://www.colacotway.vic.gov.au/Upcomi ... Gran-Fondo

Seriously...it was right there. I'm not making this up. And here

https://www.colacherald.com.au/2017/09/ ... pollo-bay/

In the newspaper too, with the local business fella giving it the "wait and see".

Are you sure you're not the one reading what you want to? Look, I get it. The road closures suck, you don't really like cyclists, etc etc. That's all good....I live in an area that depends on being able to gouge the tourists to the eyeballs for survival (or so they say anyway) and am familiar with the concept so don't really care. But sheesh....be honest with us and yourself.

Your first link is a dead end and the second link https://www.colacherald.com.au/2017/09/ ... pollo-bay/ explains the organisers short comings in 2016 and the hope that things will improve in 2017 and this link http://www.colacotway.vic.gov.au/News-m ... re-in-2018
Tells you they didn't do a real good job impressing anyone in 2017 as the council has pulled their support for 2019/20