Night rides near Footscray

Tobye

Night rides near Footscray

Postby Tobye » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi guys. I'm just starting out in the whole cycling game. Me and a couple of mates have decided to get fit through the medium of cycling. We all have young kids so our only spare time is when the chaos of dinner-bath-bed is over. So, the plan is to do a couple of rides a week when the bubs are snuggled up. We are based in West Footscray and thought there must be lots of interesting places to explore nearby. The idea is to do a decent ride to a local coffee place and ride back fuelled up with a taste of Melbourne's fine caffeine in our veins (we are relatively unfit so need the boost to get home). Does anyone have any tips for places to get coffee in the Footscray area after dark. We have some superb places nearby but all seem to close in the afternoon. Options for light supper and/or cheeky glass of wine also accepted. Thanks guys. Tobye.

trailgumby

Re: Night rides near Footscray

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Tobye

Welcome outside :)

Can I suggest that coffee after dark is not generally a good idea?

The thing is, getting fitter is not just about how hard you train, it's also how well you recover and supercompensate. That much caffeine of an evening will interfere with sleep, which will hurt your recovery if not your ability to function in life generally.

Some reading:
Caffeine impact on sleep
http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29198
Supercompensation effect of training
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompensation

So I'd suggest finding somewhere fun and interesting to ride to, but leave out the coffee. Or substitute peppermint tea.

Make sense?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 pm

What do you call decent? How far do you want to take on/how long do you want to take? On road or cycle paths?

Nth Melbourne, Docklands, Southbank, Chapel St, Richmond, CBD, Fitzroy, Collingwood......even Brunswick :? :lol: are easy enough depending and accessible either on or off road. Keeno then head south along Beach Rd to Elwood, Brighton etc.

There's no doubt many options west and Nth/West of Footscray. West is not an area I'm familiar with, and TBH wouldn't head out to. Maybe Nth/West but that will have greater elevation which may or not be what you want.

Oh crap.....I just re-read and realised you're after Footascray options :oops: Sorry, no idea.

rooftop

Postby rooftop » Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Most people handle this by doing their training rides early in the morning; before the kids/spouse are up and about. That way, by the time the ride is finished the cafes are open :D

Strava Heat Maps (http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13/144. ... /blue/bike) might give you some clues as to where everyone else is riding.

Jaydoubleu

Postby Jaydoubleu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:27 am

There is the bike path along the Maribyrnong river, that you can ride to from West Footscray along the train line, then through Seddon and eventually down to the river via Parker Street. If you turn left at the river on the bike path you'll head towards Maribyrnong and the Boat House. Turning right along Moreland St will follow the road to Williamstown. The bike path is mostly unlit at night and Williamstown traffic can be sketchy with trucks etc. PM me if you want any more info. Hope that helps.