good suburbs for a cyclist to live

hamishm

good suburbs for a cyclist to live

Postby hamishm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:31 pm

I like riding quiet roads with hills and little traffic. I'm currently living in Kew just a couple of kilometres from the Eastern Freeway and the Koonung track, 3km from the Kew Boulevard, 15km to Eltham (and on to Hurstbridge or Kangaroo Ground), 20km to Warrandyte, and there's some quiet backroads through Banyule so overall it's a pretty nice place to live.

Before that I lived in Forest Hill which was 15km from Warrandyte, 14km from The Basin, 5km to the Eastlink and to the Koonung track. That was pretty nice too.

Now we're thinking about moving and I worry about picking somewhere that is cycling hell :-) A lot of the suburbs further south seem kind of flat and a long way from any quiet roads to me. Let's say Glen Iris for example, or Mt Waverley. What do people do for good riding in these suburbs?

I've seen a couple of nice places in Surrey Hills. It seems a bit harder to escape suburbia from there but I'm not sure yet.

Cyclophiliac

Re: good suburbs for a cyclist to live

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:35 pm

After months of research, while I was still living in Parkdale (flat and boring), I decided on Ringwood North as my next (rental) abode: it's an ideal distance from Mt Dandenong, Kinglake, and even not too far from Mt Donna Buang. Ringwood North itself is very hilly. I've been there 6 years now, and haven't regretted the move.

Right now, I'm looking forward to the daily ride home: 31km and 450m climbing, and a great way to end the week.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Ringwood North would be a good spot too. I should have added that for non-cycling reasons we are not too interested in moving further out than Surrey Hills though (15km from the CBD let's say).

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Mt Waverley and Glen Iris would be ok. You're got the Scotchmans Creek and Gardiners Creek paths there. That whole circle of paths of Dandy Creek/Eastlink/Koonung/Main Yarra/Boulie/Gardiner Ck/Scotchmans ck as far as even Jells Park I don't think you can go too far wrong.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Mt Waverley and Glen Iris were more an example. Once you're right in the heart of Melbourne (Glen Iris is the centre of population in Melbourne), where can you ride? It's a long way to Hurstbridge or The Basin or the end of suburbia in any direction.

You kind of answered my question when you mentioned just the two bike paths I think. Riding on the road very far would seem kind of tedious considering both traffic and traffic lights.

Any Surrey Hills dwellers?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Depends on your thoughts re traffic really. I live outer east, good access to paths, road network is ok. Moved here from Knox area, which was quite good for biking aside from Stud Road which is a nightmare in a car, let alone a pushy.

Croydon Hills/Warranwood/Wonga Park and Park Orchards all nice places, still a bit rustic. Actually Park Orchards would be my pick, some nice hills, relatively little traffic and can get to the Eastlink trail fairly easily. Only issue is there's not much in the way of LBS support out there (nothing worthwhile in any case). Cycle Works in Box Hill are excellent and would be the nearest real LBS, if this is a consideration for you.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Ahh, and I've just seen the note about not wanting to be further than Surrey Hills.

How about Box Hill South (the Cantebury Road side of Box Hill) ? Less feral traffic-wise than Box Hill North (I don't know why) and much more realistic $-wise than Surrey Hills/Mont Albert for essentially the same thing.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:18 pm

the best riding location are >15km from CBD, unless you like Beach Rd.

if I had to choose, I'd move near Banyule from where you can access Eltham hills with nice roads.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm

hamishm wrote:
.........Any Surrey Hills dwellers?
Waves :D used to live in Kew East and the North Balwyn before Surrey
Hills (near the Railway station) def' notice its that bit more of a suburban grind (albeit tree lined) to get anywhere - heading north the 20mins or so each way to get to Koonung trail/Yarra trail adds 35/40mins overall to a ride (for me anyway I'm old and slow)

Having said that it isn't that awful - regular routes out for me include:
To Anniversary trail - North: side roads through Canterbury to near East Camberwell Station
To Anniversary trail - South and Gardiners creek to City : side roads to near Hartwell Station and/or Ferny Creek trail for variation

To Koonung trail - Side streets north to pick Up Rostrevor Parade and join at/near Elgar Rd
To East link and Dandenong Creek - past Aqualink Box Hill and Blackburn Lake to pick up incomplete BoxHill - Ringwood RailTrail to near Heatherdale Station
To East link south and Blind Creek trail near Jells Park - thru Wattle Park to pick up Gardiners Creek then quiet roads and Waverly Rail Trail, Shepherds Rd

See plenty of thin men (occasional women) in black heading out on Canterbury rd - I rarely get up early enough and not my kind of riding. Good bike repair shop on Union Rd and clothes. Bread, coffee and cakes, coffee and cakes coffee and cakes - I cycle to Camberwell to shop mostly though or walk to Maling Rd with the mutt

All done and said prefer Kew/Kew East just for speed of getting to Yarra trail and less looking into gardens and passing parked cars

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm

hamishm wrote:Mt Waverley and Glen Iris were more an example. Once you're right in the heart of Melbourne (Glen Iris is the centre of population in Melbourne), where can you ride? It's a long way to Hurstbridge or The Basin or the end of suburbia in any direction.

You kind of answered my question when you mentioned just the two bike paths I think. Riding on the road very far would seem kind of tedious considering both traffic and traffic lights.

Any Surrey Hills dwellers?
Live in Burwood. Work in Mt Waverley...

Yes there are some bike paths, but they're not really prime riding terrain. God for getting from A-B commuting, but not for fast road riding, and there is no sign of dirt anywhere around here if you like MTB.

If you take the Anniversary Trail down from Kew some time you'll end up in Glen Iris/Ashburton. Sections of that trail are nice, but again not for going fast on.

Road-wise, you can take Burwood highway or Highbury Rd out to the mountains (~25km), and slightly less to get to the bay. ie, not prime location for either, but doable...

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks for the comments all. Looks like I'm moving to Surrey Hills in February, so I better learn to love it :-)

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Knox area is pretty much perfect i reckon, foot of Dandenongs, only 15-20km from beach Road or flat days, so a nice 60-100 loop is good, if you are into the dirt, Lysterfield not far away neither is Warburton, plenty of bike path and Eastlink etc.