Eastern Freeway Widening

Az0r_au

Eastern Freeway Widening

Postby Az0r_au » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Widening the Eastern Freeway to more than 20 lanes in sections, as part of the North East Link road project, will see sizeable chunks of parkland bulldozed.

The expansion of the freeway to make it one of Melbourne's widest is detailed in a report released by the North East Link Authority to The Age under freedom of information.

The $16.5 billion tollway and road widening project will see the freeway extended outwards along almost its entire length, taking out parkland in Balwyn North, Doncaster, Doncaster East and Bulleen.
The widest point of added road space is in the Koonung Creek Reserve in Balwyn North.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/vict ... 504j7.html

I assume this means they'll have to re-do a lot of the Koonung trail from Blackburn onwards.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: Eastern Freeway Widening

Postby antigee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 pm

albeit early days but details of the impact on existing shared trails and the provision of new shared trails can be found in this document:

https://northeastlink.vic.gov.au/__data ... Sep-18.pdf

from https://northeastlink.vic.gov.au/project

can only assume that the (big) spend on shared paths is an attempt to make what is a behometh of a road vaguely acceptable - my vote would have been for the proposal that looped out north of Ringwood rather than have a route that is going to generate large volumes of new traffic heading north through residential suburbs to use it - Belle Vue Primary School will be metres from a 20 lane highway and I'm pretty sure anyone living adjacent will feel that after suffering the noise of the existing Eastern Freeway they are really being kicked whilst down

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:08 pm

so much parkland sacrificed for cars - very disappointing as the yarra river only has so much frontage through there anyway, and that road will offer 5-10 years before we have congestion again. public transport would be the cheapest long term fix and get the obese out of their cars.

Az0r_au

Postby Az0r_au » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks for the link Antigee. I expected there to be more of an impact given how bloody wide they're planning the thing to be.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 pm

mtb1011 wrote:so much parkland sacrificed for cars - very disappointing as the yarra river only has so much frontage through there anyway, and that road will offer 5-10 years before we have congestion again. public transport would be the cheapest long term fix and get the obese out of their cars.
There's plenty of obese people on public transport as well!

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Az0r_au wrote:Thanks for the link Antigee. I expected there to be more of an impact given how bloody wide they're planning the thing to be.
pretty sure there will be more impact than the illustrations show - reminds me might ride down to the Caulfield area and see how the shared path under the skyrail is coming on - maybe do some reality photos versus press release sketch comparisons :|

1Rowdy1

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:38 pm

antigee wrote:
Az0r_au wrote:Thanks for the link Antigee. I expected there to be more of an impact given how bloody wide they're planning the thing to be.
pretty sure there will be more impact than the illustrations show - reminds me might ride down to the Caulfield area and see how the shared path under the skyrail is coming on - maybe do some reality photos versus press release sketch comparisons :|
I'd give it another month or so for the Skyrail path, most is done with the exception of 5 to 10 metre sections pretty much all the way along it, it's being worked on but is very patchy.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:55 pm

So, when 20 lanes of cars have to leave the freeway, what then.

Silly, it will be a car park within months. The Eastern Freeway still feeds into Alexandra Ave. Just more silliness.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:23 pm

I have been heading up Rosanna rd to the Greensborough end of the ring road a number of times this winter and can attest the link is required as these suburban roads leading to it cannot handle to current volumes regardless the time of day!

Finishing the Ring Road where it did without a clear link to carry the traffic through the NE suburbs was always a mistake.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:38 pm

DavidS wrote:So, when 20 lanes of cars have to leave the freeway, what then.

Silly, it will be a car park within months. The Eastern Freeway still feeds into Alexandra Ave. Just more silliness.

DS
Point. The VicRoads propaganda doesn't exactly make clear how much of the present green fingers alongside the route between Chandler Highway and the intersection will be lost, but it's got to be plenty.
The selling point to us is supposed to be the elimination of the climb at Belford Road. Not that I mind the removal of hills from any route and the demonstration of man's dominion over geology, of course, but I foresee this ending up with all the interest of the path suspended beneath the south-eastern freeway at Kooyong.
I spose it could be worse: we're not in Sydney.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Is the VIC government trying to outdo the Americians for Bragging rights?

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/katy ... 261429.php
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm

dalai47 wrote:I have been heading up Rosanna rd to the Greensborough end of the ring road a number of times this winter and can attest the link is required as these suburban roads leading to it cannot handle to current volumes regardless the time of day!

Finishing the Ring Road where it did without a clear link to carry the traffic through the NE suburbs was always a mistake.
Correct on all points. This freeway doesn’t spit vehicles out into nothing like the Eastern does. It replaces a congested arterial road that is 99.9% residential and connects two freeways, removing vehicles heading east-north or the reverse from suburban streets. It’s one of the least objectionable road projects around. On the cycling side, if current Vic Roads practices are followed they will be very good to excellent, and completed from start to finish concurrently with the freeway, unlike council projects.

I too would have liked a longer eastern loop out past Ringwood but the chances of that getting the nod were next to zero. It’s surprising enough this is going ahead.