Brisbane Racing Scene

jack11

Re: Brisbane Racing Scene

Postby jack11 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Race Report

HPRW C2 - Nundah
Time, distance, average speed: 40 mins + 2 laps, 27.5 km, 37.8 km/h average
Place: Back of bunch (probably 12 or 13th out of 15)
Strava link: http://www.strava.com/activities/202913859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well first race finished and it was awesome. I had no idea what to expect coming into the race but it was great experience made all the better by the helpful and supportive HPRW members.

On to the actual details...

The group set off and held a steady pace from the first ten minutes or so. I used this time to try and get used to holding my position in the bunch and get used to the pace. After about ten minutes 2 riders slipped off the front and the general consensus in the group was to give them enough rope to hang themselves with and they never gained more than 100 metres. The break stayed off the front for 4 or 5 laps but was comfortable closed down after the bunch started to surge. The prime came just after the 20 minute mark and for the first half of the lap the pace was up, but coming into the esse's the bunch slowed right down as nobody wanted to ride on the front. I used this lull to move up in the bunch from the back few riders to about 5th wheel as we came on to the straight, but I decided against sprinting as I didn't want to blow myself up halfway into the race.

Most of the race from the 20 minute mark to the 35 minute mark passed more or less without incident (except for the suicidal bush turkey that took up residency on the back straight). My mate from work who was also in his first race got caught on the front of the bunch for a good 5 minutes as no one would roll through despite the pace slowing significantly. From the 35 minutes mark a number of riders seemed to be trying to split the bunch as they seemed to lift the pace into the 40s down the back of the track into the wind then sit up down the straight, but I managed to sit in the front half of the pack, grit my teeth and hold on through the surges.

Coming up to the 40 minute mark I decided that I did not want to take part in the sprint as I knew I wouldn't be competitive and it would be a good opportunity to see how the 'sprinters' set themselves up in the last lap. As we came through the esse's at about 39 minutes 30 seconds the pace slowed significantly as everyone stopped wanting to work I decided I may as well accelerate/attack down the straight in anticipation of the 2 lap warning. Will this was tactically stupid I decided it would be better to at least give the bunch some incentive to start riding, unfortunately my gear shift gave me away and the call went out before I was even past the front riders! The bunch was comfortably on my back wheel by the time we reached the start/finish line so I just rode tempo and when I sought to move off the front no one would come through so I kept riding gently. Coming down the straight for the bell the pace was on and I quickly slipped back to about 8th wheel and just tried to hold on. I ended up basically holding the coat tail of the bunch for the last lap and as we came into the final sprint I sat up and rolled through to the line.

I was very happy to just make it to the 40 minute mark with the bunch and not cause any crashes! I definitely learnt a lot including that the council does not 'edge' the grass around the track (caused one hairy moment when I hit a large clump of grass/weeds!).

I think moving forward I will try and replace the 'junk' kilometres I currently ride with some more structured riding (ie intervals and working with a heart rate monitor).

I really enjoyed the day out - for anyone that was there please let me know if there was anything I did that was poor etiquette/dangerous/dumb (other than the pointless attack). Also if anyone has any photos please post/send/link me, I would love to see some action shots!

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any about my experience!
Last edited by jack11 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:56 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:
CKinnard wrote: and kept their heads when all around were losing theirs!
so who was losing their head in that race?
whoever let the speed drop to 33kph!
I think that was when my mate got stranded on the front and also when we were in the last 5 minutes and no one wanted to ride on the front.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Here you go Jack. I was videoing with the smart phone.
Will have a look for something else when you are not down the back discussing high finance with your mate :)

edit
didn't take long.....here you are at 4th wheel

Last edited by CKinnard on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for posting the photos!

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:34 pm

I have been looking at the Albert Park booking schedule and for this weekend there are the following clubs that have reservations:

- Uni CC Saturday 6am to 8am
- Lifecycle Saturday 8.30am to 11am
- Ipswich CC Sunday 6am to 11am

Will any of these be open events or will they all be for club members only?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Lifecycle is club only. But you can apply for a dual membership which is 22 bucks - apply before your race. Ipswich is open so anyone with a racing license can rock up and have some fun. Can't recall what UniCC is.

If your keen for some racing here's a list of events that I'm aiming for. Lifecycle is club only. HPRW is open to all (additional license required for lakeside - year or day pass from Queensland Raceways which can be done on the day). Brisbane Blast/Tradecoast are restricted opens (must have CQ/CA grading ie Elite A/B/C, Masters X and not club as these races are a step up above from your local club racing). Ipswich is open so anyone can race.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Uni is closed to club member only I think.

I'm going to take a crack at either the LC or Ippy Crits this weekend, probably be lucky to get away with B at LC, will try for D at Ippy :wink:

Numbers might be down on Sunday, all the SEQpros will be doing the other big race held on the same day :P
Lisa

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:08 pm

marinmomma wrote:Uni is closed to club member only I think.

I'm going to take a crack at either the LC or Ippy Crits this weekend, probably be lucky to get away with B at LC, will try for D at Ippy :wink:

Numbers might be down on Sunday, all the SEQpros will be doing the other big race held on the same day :P
Is there a big grading difference between the normal crits and the Ipswich crits?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:27 pm

You'd be in Elite C or Masters C, but if you're a youngin' you should opt for Elite C.

If you have an Elite license (more $) you can race in Elite or Masters events.
If you have a Masters license you can only race in Masters events.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:29 pm

jack11 wrote: Is there a big grading difference between the normal crits and the Ipswich crits?
Ha, usually at Ippy's Crits everyone goes into sandbaggers mode and race down a grade from their usual :wink:
Lisa

jack11

Postby jack11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:33 pm

marinmomma wrote:
jack11 wrote: Is there a big grading difference between the normal crits and the Ipswich crits?
Ha, usually at Ippy's Crits everyone goes into sandbaggers mode and race down a grade from their usual :wink:
I think I'm racing C grade so I fully expect to be pack fodder!

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 pm

jack11 wrote:
marinmomma wrote:
I think I'm racing C grade so I fully expect to be pack fodder!
Yep... My prediction proved correct - that was a step up from two weeks ago!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 pm

From what I can gather all the big hitters from SEq turned up yesterday and A grade was a smash fest, so a few pulled out and signed up for B, sounded like there was a ripple effect through the grades!
So glad that I paid for a duel licence and raced the Lifecycle Crits the day before, had a ball but could have done without the wind :shock:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:11 pm

What big hitters? They all saw me and dropped a grade :P

Yeah, one of the AG2R development riders was there. As was Budget, Data3, Cobra 9 and other strong riders from the NRS/QRS. It was on pretty much go from the get go.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Of course I was talking about you [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lisa

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:What big hitters? They all saw me and dropped a grade :P

Yeah, one of the AG2R development riders was there. As was Budget, Data3, Cobra 9 and other strong riders from the NRS/QRS. It was on pretty much go from the get go.
You might have taken the opportunity to ask them who used pizza or fries for fuel. :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm

I was going to ask some of the data3 guys but I had my mouth full of Domino's new breakfast Hawaiian pizza fries :D :D :D :lol:

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:34 pm

marinmomma wrote:From what I can gather all the big hitters from SEq turned up yesterday and A grade was a smash fest, so a few pulled out and signed up for B, sounded like there was a ripple effect through the grades!
So glad that I paid for a duel licence and raced the Lifecycle Crits the day before, had a ball but could have done without the wind :shock:
Yep! It was definitely a good hard hit out though. Also don't want to accuse anyone of sandbagging but there were some very very strong (relative) riders in c grade who spent a lot of time drilling it on the front and still had the energy to attack, while the rest of us looked on in admiration!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:47 am

this is where conflict of interest hits cycling clubs between the eyes.

on the one hand, they love the $10-20 per racer...every weekend!
on the other hand, fair racing is beyond any individual club's capacity, and beyond CQ's database.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 am

HPRW have been pretty good as of recent with the electronic swipe card system ie when the card is swiped it displays what your grading is with the club (also available online) so it does prevent the sandbaggers from dropping down to a lower grade. If you never raced with the club it takes your CA grading and assigns you a grade level. During the previous twlight series there were a couple of sneaky out of town riders infront of me at sign on that were told that they couldn't race B2 because they were classified as A grade :P The sandbaggers made use of that time when there was no swipe card system at one of the Lakeside races. The B grade podiums and primes were dominated with A grade riders.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am

Lukeyboy wrote:The B grade podiums and primes were dominated with A grade riders.
:cry: Tell me about it! I missed out on a couple of points + coffee money when that Uni train came to Lakeside in July!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 am

Yes I remember that morning at Lakeside, sandbaggers everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lisa

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am

Lukeyboy wrote: Image
Busy boy. You better watch my wheel this Saturday 'cause I wont be sitting in Mr Breakaway :wink:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am

I'll watch it as we're doing turns in the breakaway :P

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'll watch it as we're doing turns in the breakaway :P
Lukeyboy was that you in the B Grade break in the black rapha kit?