The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

cancan64

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby cancan64 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:00 am

I know someone else who may join us on his MTB....so I guess next queston is when....I should have checked calender first...I have this weekend freeish otherwise weekend of 25-26th Oct or maybe 4-5 Oct if we are not going away for long weekend..
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 am

Sounds like a great idea to go up the fire trail towards Mt Nebo, but not for me as my MTB is terminally ill with corrosion after a relative used it on the beach and did not hose it clean off afterwards.

There are plenty of places where you can park car in The Gap or Brookfield which are more or less at the start of this route.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm going to ride up Brookfield Sunday if anybody not doing the Brisbane to Gold Coast wants to tag along. Estimated average speed over those hills probably around 27/28 so where looking at 3 hours.
http://www.strava.com/routes/1070658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 80km 1300m head out via fig tree pocket and home via 17 mile rocks. Leave at 6:30?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:52 pm

I'd be keen if I wasn't racing that day :P

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Any early hilly rides on this weekend...need climbing practice
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:11 pm

I could reload that Brookfield ride if that's suitably hilly enough?

or if you want some real hills we could try something like this
http://www.strava.com/activities/203386338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 pm

I came up with this today.....that should just about kill me although the last 18km is a mistake...will leave Wynnum no later than 5am
http://www.strava.com/routes/1108751

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm in from Mt gravatt to the gap. Do you have an eta for the summit? And Saturday right?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Ryanhyltoncummins wrote:I'm in from Mt gravatt to the gap. Do you have an eta for the summit? And Saturday right?
Sorry has to be Sunday now. ..I discovered I have the kids on Saturday... Can be at the base of Mt Gravatt at 5:30...

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Hey too easy, I'm still in.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Just stumbled across this ride on Strava which is a very interesting concept. I reckon the way to go would be to go up the eastern side of Wivenhoe, then Kilcoy-Manumbar as the bloke above did, but down through Mt Stanley and Linville instead of out to Yarraman. Then it's just back down the western side of the middle valley through Esk. I'll have a tinker with google maps tomorrow and see what sort of distance it would be to do all that starting from the river mouth. Substantial i imagine.

You keen smithstreet? :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Interesting :P

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:53 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Just stumbled across this ride on Strava which is a very interesting concept. I reckon the way to go would be to go up the eastern side of Wivenhoe, then Kilcoy-Manumbar as the bloke above did, but down through Mt Stanley and Linville instead of out to Yarraman. Then it's just back down the western side of the middle valley through Esk. I'll have a tinker with google maps tomorrow and see what sort of distance it would be to do all that starting from the river mouth. Substantial i imagine.

That looks awesome

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:03 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Just stumbled across this ride on Strava which is a very interesting concept. I reckon the way to go would be to go up the eastern side of Wivenhoe, then Kilcoy-Manumbar as the bloke above did, but down through Mt Stanley and Linville instead of out to Yarraman. Then it's just back down the western side of the middle valley through Esk. I'll have a tinker with google maps tomorrow and see what sort of distance it would be to do all that starting from the river mouth. Substantial i imagine.

That looks awesome
I prefer to stop for more than 4 mins on rides that length

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Dimma wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:

That looks awesome
I prefer to stop for more than 4 mins on rides that length
Stopping is time wasted Dimma :lol:

You've got to admit it's a bit better then the "normal" version? You could do it on you ear.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 pm

I like it from about Kilcoy onwards.
Too much surburbia early on, and too much highway for me.

He missed the best bit by not turning left on Linville Forestry Rd/Western Branch Rd!! How good was that Lachlan? :D

As long as you don't 'hit the wall' eh? :wink:

Otherwise, yes I'd be interested. Especially if we turned left at Esk then did the back of Glorious to finish. :D :shock:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Smithstreet wrote:I like it from about Kilcoy onwards.

He missed the best bit by not turning left on Linville Forestry Rd/Western Branch Rd!! How good was that Lachlan? :D

Otherwise, yes I'd be interested. Especially if we turned left at Esk then did the back of Glorious to finish. :D :shock:
I agree on the highway stuff but the idea is a river loop so Glorious would be out.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm

I'm keen haven't done any long rides for ages, you guys will have to take it easy on me but I've gone pretty soft.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Dimma wrote:I'm keen haven't done any long rides for ages, you guys will have to take it easy on me but I've gone pretty soft.
Yeah right :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:40 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:I like it from about Kilcoy onwards.

I agree on the highway stuff but the idea is a river loop so Glorious would be out.
My thoughts exactly scott. Plus i drove up the back of glorious on saturday and the idea of going up it under my own power is simply terrifying :lol: .

Looks like the complete loop would be somewhere north of 460kms and maybe 6,000m of climbing. The tricky bit will be working out an enjoyable and safe route from Wivenhoe to Lytton. Definitely one for the cooler months given the amount of wide open country and significant distances between food and water stops.

I can't stress enough how awesome the road from Elgin Vale to Linville is, well the road itself is unsealed and rough as guts in places but the scenery is mind blowing. The climb from Sheep Station Creek up to Jimna is a cracker too, so good i've stopped there on my way to Brisbane twice now just to ride up and down it.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Soooooooo. It's been a while since the last Weekend Warriors ride so whose keen for some fun. Something easy like Samford/Goat Track/Mt Glorious/Mayfield Road (for bragging rights :P)/Cedar Creek/Samford. Maybe we can also make a date for that Kilcoy ride a few of us were talking about last year - https://www.strava.com/routes/608449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:46 pm

I'd be up for that one, so long as everyone else would be ok with waiting for me to descend the back of Glorious.

Looking into my crystal ball i'm thinking late May for the ultimate riverloop ride.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Has anyone here done Gatton-Clifton Rd? Just wanting an idea of how steep it gets, Strava isn't really reliable for that.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:25 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Has anyone here done Gatton-Clifton Rd? Just wanting an idea of how steep it gets, Strava isn't really reliable for that.
Never ridden it, but driven over it heaps in my Uni days, I was a Gatton Ag. student many moons ago. I wouldn't say it was really a hill, more of a long drag, it climbs 350 metres over 20 odd km's.

They race the Cunningham classic up it every year. The speeds are pretty descent so I would say that steep is not a word you would apply to it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Yea i saw the KOM at an average of 36.7kmh and was hoping that was a good sign. Not keen on hitting some 20% wall after 230k with only 3 gears :) .