Gold Coast Hinterland Big lap via Tomewin *route advice*

Ryanhyltoncummins

Gold Coast Hinterland Big lap via Tomewin *route advice*

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Hey, I'm looking at going down to ride the Gold Coast hinterland big lap loop and take the Tomewin mountain shortcut.
For all those unaware it's this loop through the hinterland http://www.strava.com/segments/4120287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want to do this ride on Christmas day however I'm thinking 95-99% of the shops are going to be closed with the exception of petrol stations.
Has anybody ridden this loop? I'm trying to find out any information of water taps/cool springs that I can use to refill. I'm definitely. going to need to top up over the top of the climbs.
I'm going to call ahead and check if any service stations in Chillingham or Murrwillumbah will be open apart from that I should be fine once I get back to the coast in theory.
Is there anything else I should lookout for? I'm hoping the roads are going to be quiet as and I can just spin around the hinterland on my lonesome.

dclnmurray

Re: Gold Coast Hinterland Big lap via Tomewin *route advice*

Postby dclnmurray » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:29 pm

This is a great circuit and done this a few times. We stop at Chillingham store for midway break. Not a lot you need to look out for except the descents especially Pine Creek Road as there may be crap on the roads, branches rocks etc.
As for water, two bottles is fine as you can fill up at Chillingham store (tap on side of building).

Dave

Ryanhyltoncummins

Re: Gold Coast Hinterland Big lap via Tomewin *route advice*

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Ah yeah hopefully there's no big storm roll through in the nights beforehand.
Pine Creek road looks significantly steep but at least it looks open flowing, I'll be sure to take caution.
Ah sweet as, I'll be able to douse myself with that if the temperature gets up there.

Thanks