Ride the Range 2015

Grgic

Ride the Range 2015

Postby Grgic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 am

http://www.ridetherange.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife's looking for an excuse to visit a friend up Brisvegas way and is trying to encourage me to enter this event.

Is anyone doing this next year (29/3/15)? Has anyone done it in the past? I take it the course is reasonably ok until about the 90km mark where the last 25kms (from what i can tell) is an average of about 3% gradient to the finish?

Reading from previous posts someone who rode it back back in 2012 said some parts the gradient hit 20%!!! Is the course still the same from back then?
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cancan64

Re: Ride the Range 2015

Postby cancan64 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:31 pm

I rode it in 2014 and have already signed up for 2015... This year it was very wet... Storm hit just after we got down the range.. The bulk of the ride was good... Apart from wet.. I rode the 112km but we missed a turn off and ended up riding up the range the same way we came down (and I was with 2 locals that new the roads)... Going up was a good climb but my tyres had zero traction in the wet so climbing without wheel spinning was fun... Hence doing it next year with better tyres and hopefully the correct way... Also work won the corporate challenge so out to defend it
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Final climb is more than 3%... More like 13%... Search strava for rtr..I will add a link when I get on a computer
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:25 am

Appreciate any link you can find.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:53 pm

This looks like the correct ride

http://www.strava.com/activities/115350822

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:00 am

http://www.strava.com/segments/6917099?filter=overall

It is a very solid day out. I don't do many Fondos etc and I found this one to be especially dangerous in the wet. A lot of folk getting their ambitions and capabilities mixed up on wet, fast and twisty roads.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:38 am

Thank you. Looks like a tough last 25kms. And yes doing this in the wet would be dicey especially the downhills.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:29 pm

They started the ride a bit early to get everyone down the hill before the storm hit.... I headed back up the hill a bit to find a work colleague who's carbon wheels didn't like the excessive braking and it was raining when I started back down

Attached some of the downhill run... A few people forgot that the roads were open.. A few near misses from what I heard but to much traffic to get any decent speed up

RTR downhill1: http://youtu.be/zGeAkK_I ... urn false;

mmiad

Postby mmiad » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:12 am

Against my more reserved judgement, I signed up for this event as a means of forcing myself to keep my New Years resolution to get back on my bike after several years. In my 40s, based in Gympie, I initiated the process with a 75k ride to Rainbow Beach two weeks ago, which took me an hour longer than my last effort in 2013. So I'm a tad out of shape.

I've never ridden the range before. My wife and I took a trip down there last week to check out the route. The return up the range looks somewhat daunting, although I managed to ride up the range to O"Reillys at Lamington in 2013' and I'm guessing there's some similarity.

Any tips for training would be appreciated. There's a few good hills around here, so I'm plotting a few routes of varying lengths. As I have no riding buddy I'm relying on my ability to keep myself motivated.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:17 am

I was thinking of doing this this year but I ended up signing up for a 12hr mtb event in Armidale. The video doesn't inspire much confidence with riders all over the road like browns cows and numpties doing high speed descents on the hoods. .

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Against my better judgement I signed on for it.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:53 pm

duds2u wrote:Against my better judgement I signed on for it.
How did you go in the end.

I managed to hook up with a couple of quick groups up to the first water stop but I lent my multi tool to someone and by the time I got it back I was on my own for the rest of the ride. Was a good ride but it felt a lot warmer than it was.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Been quite some time since i last did it, 2011 maybe? The trouble for me was the first downhill, with my descending nerves i couldn't keep up with the lead bunch and ended up in no man's land smashing myself for 70kms. The final climb was super tough for me then, i know i had to walk quite a bit the first time i did the ride and worked pretty hard to clear it on my second attempt. With more in the legs now and decent gearing it wouldn't be too bad.

I'll have to get down there next year, it's an enjoyable ride and my wife and i both like visiting Toowoomba.
cancan64 wrote:
duds2u wrote:Against my better judgement I signed on for it.
How did you go in the end.
+1?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Been quite some time since i last did it, 2011 maybe? The trouble for me was the first downhill, with my descending nerves i couldn't keep up with the lead bunch and ended up in no man's land smashing myself for 70kms. The final climb was super tough for me then, i know i had to walk quite a bit the first time i did the ride and worked pretty hard to clear it on my second attempt. With more in the legs now and decent gearing it wouldn't be too bad.

I'll have to get down there next year, it's an enjoyable ride and my wife and i both like visiting Toowoomba.

+1?
Decent was still a mess this year, easier to just take it easy with so many people on the road.

I am up your way over Easter, Staying at parents property at Goomborian. Thinking of taking the bike

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 pm

Oh nice, there's actually some ok riding around that way/wolvi. I'd be keen as mustard to meet up for a spin, but had a tooth pulled this morning/still sick/concreting over easter/FML :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:20 pm

Love the smell of hot brakes in the morning.
That was an interesting start to the ride. Everyone taking their time down the range and then it started. Caught up with a bunch after taking the descent carefully and then rolled out to Mt Sylvia (I think). Well the music from Rocky got to a few of us and we formed a 4 man breakaway for a short time. About 10 others joined from the bunch of about 50+ and we rolled on.

Got to the bottom of the climb and all you could see was pedestrians pushing expensive bikes. I've never seen Zipp 404's roll so slowly.

So, the climb. Hardest sting in the tail of a 100+ ride (Have a look at it here https://www.strava.com/activities/275701424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) I have ever experienced. 1.7k of sufferfest and then no relief to the end another 7.3k away.. I guess I was a bit lucky as my rear tube destroyed itself about 500m from the top so I was forced to stop. When I say it destroyed itself, it actually came apart at a join and it wasn''t a cheap tube either. Anyway I thought if you have to stop here you may as well make it a good one. Anyway finally back on the road in time to overtake the small bunch I had been riding with leading into the climb.
The biggest bummer was I forgot to start my computer at the start of the ride so I have unfinished business and will have to go back next year. You'll understand the term 'if it's not on Strava then it didn't happen. Well I can assure you my legs say it did but Stava says it didn't.

I have to congratulate Toowoomba Rotary for the planning and organisation the put into the ride. It was first rate and a great day in the saddle.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:29 pm

duds2u wrote: https://www.strava.com/activities/275701424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.)
I rode with you going by your Strava.

I took it easy going down and then hooked up with a rider (I think in a Giant jersey) and we caught up with a group that was moving ok and rode with them for a while but then jumped in with another group that was going faster.
I stopped at the first refuel stop with half of the group but lent my multi tool to a guy and by the time he was finished I was on my own. I took it easy to the next stop in the hope of another group catching me but there was none although another rider from my corporate team caught me so rode with him until the bottom of the climb and then I picked the pace up.
It was well organised and will ride it again next year.

here is my ride although you dont come up in mine https://www.strava.com/activities/275621076