Brisbane Racing Scene

CKinnard

Re: Brisbane Racing Scene

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Give me your GPS, you drive the moped and we'll go KOM hunting :P :P :P
mopeds, bunch rides, tailwinds......strava's got such a gun business model!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:44 am

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm loaded but I also don't own a car and live with my parents haha. I find it just insane how much it costs to run a car now these days. The outright payment for the car, any interest repayments, rego, insurance, fuel, maintenance costs etc. Not owning a car for the past 9-10 years and its associated costs has helped me buy a few bikes and get the absolute most out of them. I've only been running a GPS for the past few years and have already clocked in 43k or so. Most things in life can easily be done by bike or public transport. Brisbane would seriously be a fantastic place to live if public transport was improved and there was more cycling infrastructure. Not just bike lanes, shared pathways etc but secure places to store your bike such as at train stations, bus interchanges and key points of interest like shopping centers such as Westfield shopping centres (BCC have their own secure lockers but.... they could be a lot better). Take train stations. Have key infrastructure leading to it. 5 min ride to the station. On the train for a bit and then ride to the destination. Why not ride from Bracken Ridge to the train station there, get off at Virginia and then ride along the bikeway all the way to Westfield Chermside. The Gateway upgrade is another example. They could easily install a bikeway on the side and have it link into Murrumba Downs or have it go further along the highway which could then connect to the MBB/KBB and the current under construction Petrie-Kippa Ring Bikeway (as part of the railway line). Another key corridor could be as simple as building a bikeway on the exisiting railway line between Bald Hills/Virginia to connect to other key links/bikeways eg bikeways/shared pathways at Bald Hills, Carseldine, Geebung and the bike lanes on Sandgate Road.

Your move Brisbane :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm loaded....
Stop overcompensating Lukey....I know you are a Mommy's Boy...still living at home. :P

BTW, I just created 2 gravel segments...both in/out so that takes care of wind assist, and the gravel takes care of wheel suckers.
Let me know what you think of the names. :twisted:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 am

For those that made it out to the Anzac25 today there was some great racing across multiple grades.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:58 pm

some good times at Toowong CX racing this arvo.
seems to be getting a rep for a good spectacle. lots of guys at the obstacles with stubbie in hand waiting for the stacks.....and roars of approval when they happen. all good fun.
the junior turn out is also growing. great to see 4 and 5 yo's getting out there and going hell for leather.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

CKinnard wrote:some good times at Toowong CX racing this arvo.
seems to be getting a rep for a good spectacle. lots of guys at the obstacles with stubbie in hand waiting for the stacks.....and roars of approval when they happen. all good fun.
the junior turn out is also growing. great to see 4 and 5 yo's getting out there and going hell for leather.
Had my first crack at CX yesterday in the n00bs Open Category. Waaaaaaay higher intensity than I thought it would be BUT loads of fun.
Came 2nd place in the first round, dropped chain had me finish midpack in the second round. I had a fun day on the bike!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:37 pm

2nd place in the first round for your first race?!!! up to combined A/B grade for you young fella! :)
everyone heard about your dropped chain...was that coming off the obstacle and mini-hill? (where all the other stacks happened...apart from the tight corners on the downhill! :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:02 pm

CKinnard wrote:2nd place in the first round for your first race?!!! up to combined A/B grade for you young fella! :)
everyone heard about your dropped chain...was that coming off the obstacle and mini-hill? (where all the other stacks happened...apart from the tight corners on the downhill! :)
Ha yeah I was pretty chuffed with 2nd. Especially as it's pretty hard to tell what's going on when youre on the course - its almost a surprise at the end.
In the 1st race I actually dropped my chain after the barrier on the last lap and ended up running across the finish line to take second place.
In the 2nd race it came off after the stairs and took me ages to get it back on (a lil help from some kind spectators) while half the field passed me. I think oxygen deprivation hindered me haha

I've figured out that in CX the race is pretty much won/lost in your first lap (or even corner)! then just cross fingers you don't faceplant or have a mechanical!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Highly recommend everyone gives it a go

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Ps- the kid that got first in both Open races was insanely quick AND he was on a mtb!! Whippet!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm

yeah I lost track of who was in the lead...spectating and yacking with old mates simultaneously, while their whiney kids keep interrupting whinging for red cordial :) must admit I was whinging for a stubbie for a bit...but resisted.

I agree if you have good mount/demount skills, and fair cornering, the start of the race is critical. And you definitely don't want to get stuck down the mid pack...too hard to get past a lot of people who struggle on the tricky bits. I've watched Robbie McEwen a few times in CX races and the guy smashes it from the start, but if there's others pretty hard core with him, he lets one or two get past and lets them control the pace while he gets a bit of draft...he then reads their weak points and pounces like a leopard in the last lap at a point where they are weak...though this is possible due to his superior technical skills.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:37 pm

I was in awe of the fast A-grade guys, I imagine McEwan would be even more exciting to watch. Not to mention he's still got a decent sprint for a retiree :P

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 pm

He has come to most CX races at Nundah for the last few years, and I believe he gets behind the CX stuff at the Nerang crit track.
I think he gets more kicks out of watching his young son kick a$$ :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 am

His young son is quick as well. The Christmas race at Nerang last year was good. The winners of round 1 started at the back and we handicapped so was good to watch them chase
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm

RobM wrote:
CKinnard wrote:some good times at Toowong CX racing this arvo.
Had my first crack at CX yesterday in the n00bs Open Category. Waaaaaaay higher intensity than I thought it would be BUT loads of fun.
Came 2nd place in the first round, dropped chain had me finish midpack in the second round. I had a fun day on the bike!

Nice one RobM. I was there too racing in open. Arrived late and had to start of the back of the first race, and came about 8th. Then I got the 2nd place in the open final beaten by that kid on the mtb as well! :)

Good fun. That was my third CX race (first one in a year). Time to go into B grade. Will be doing the whole season this year.
=========================
2009 Specialized Tricross
2004 Cannondale CAAD4
2013 Giant Trinity Composite

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Race 2 of the CX sprints tomorrow night at Chandler... and there will be a jump which is always fun.
Now just need to swap the road wheels and pedals over to cx stuff.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri May 08, 2015 1:38 pm

cancan64 wrote:Race 2 of the CX sprints tomorrow night at Chandler... and there will be a jump which is always fun.
Dang it! Gotta work so I cant make it to this one.
A jump sounds like fun! I'm hoping by the 3rd Race they'll have a Ring of Fire and a foam pit on the course :lol:

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Fri May 08, 2015 2:48 pm

cancan64 wrote:Race 2 of the CX sprints tomorrow night at Chandler... and there will be a jump which is always fun.
If facebook is to be trusted, we may have an appearance by Robbie McEwen!
2004 Cannondale CAAD4

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:31 pm

dzzmzz wrote:
If facebook is to be trusted, we may have an appearance by Robbie McEwen!
That will mean potentially racing against him in the heats, that could be embarrassing for someone...ok me

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:11 pm

For anyone at tonight's cx race, I am on a black Trek and and have a green helmet, socks . Just look for a Kermit lookalike

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:30 am

Well that was frustrating, was well placed in the heat to make A grade and dropped the chain on the last lap... so in the B grade final,lap 2 was sitting in 4th in the front group when i stuffed up the remount after the obstacles, which was not a problem but I hadnt noticed that I had knocked the chain off again and this time jammed the chain, then only half put it back on and it came straight off so by the time I fixed it properly I was in last place. Was fun moving back through the field but on the last lap again, 3 bikes crashed in front of me and trying to avoid them I went down as well and that was the end of my night.
Was fun but frustrating and I just dropped the bike off to get the bottom bracket replaced and it took him 5 sec to adjust the chain guide...2 weeks to go before the next one

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 pm

cancan64 wrote:Well that was frustrating, was well placed in the heat to make A grade and dropped the chain on the last lap... so in the B grade final,lap 2 was sitting in 4th in the front group when i stuffed up the remount after the obstacles, which was not a problem but I hadnt noticed that I had knocked the chain off again and this time jammed the chain, then only half put it back on and it came straight off so by the time I fixed it properly I was in last place. Was fun moving back through the field but on the last lap again, 3 bikes crashed in front of me and trying to avoid them I went down as well and that was the end of my night.
Was fun but frustrating and I just dropped the bike off to get the bottom bracket replaced and it took him 5 sec to adjust the chain guide...2 weeks to go before the next one
when using mid to lower gears, you want to be real careful dropping the bike after running through obstacles. the shock can cause the chain to jump off.
some guys use a chain shorter by one length in cx races.
also check the RD cage spring. It may be aging and getting too weak to take up chain slack.
and naturally both ders need to be tweaked to reduce chain off's.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:53 pm

The mechanic made done adjustments this morning so hopefully all good fit next race.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:32 pm

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Wed May 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Ahh I think you and I may have been dueling at one stage in the B grade final cancan64 - I recall that lime green helmet!

That was my first time not racing in 'open'. I finished about mid field in my heat and was in the b final. Dropped my chain on the velodrome at the very start! Managed to recover to get into midpack by midrace, then my chain fell off again when I shouldered it over the barriers (sounds similar to what you did cancan). Lost a few places getting it back on again!

Finished about 5th or 6th last. Achieved my goal of not coming last.

Still - I had an awesome time and I love the atmosphere. Looking forward to Bowl-o-cross now!
2004 Cannondale CAAD4

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:17 am

Anyone catch any of the National CX Series racing on the weekend? Australian CX mag has a write up of the two days - http://www.australiancxmagazine.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
2004 Cannondale CAAD4