St Lucia roadworks on 'Riverloop' route

RobM

St Lucia roadworks on 'Riverloop' route

Postby RobM » Fri May 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Its been going for awhile but thought I'd post up to let everyone know.

Some roadworks going on in a small section of the 'riverloop' route through St Lucia at Ryans Road.

They are 'detouring' people onto Sir Fred Schonell Dr - but i have on a few occasions been waved through the Road Closed signs. So depends on who you get really.

Something to be aware of - hopefully will be wrapped up soon.

elantra

Re: St Lucia roadworks on 'Riverloop' route

Postby elantra » Sat May 09, 2015 12:03 pm

It's a dogs breakfast. :wink:
For anyone who can propel themselves at more than 20 km/hr, consider sticking to Sir Fred Schonell drive all the way from its start at Toowong, depending on the traffic conditions and your level of visibility and confidence on this road.
Furthermore, just before this, Benson Rd bikepath has always been dodgy and now there is also obstruction due to roadworks at Glen Rd (Toowong)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 09, 2015 12:08 pm

I dunno why anyone bothers with all those little back streets. I always take Schonell Drive, have done for years.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat May 09, 2015 3:13 pm

RonK wrote:I dunno why anyone bothers with all those little back streets. I always take Schonell Drive, have done for years.
I usually do too but go this way if commuting. A lot people don't like the traffic on Sir Fred.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 10, 2015 9:27 am

rob. from memory you live on the other side of the river. you should be going up highgate hill to work

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat May 16, 2015 3:08 pm

RonK wrote:I dunno why anyone bothers with all those little back streets. I always take Schonell Drive, have done for years.
Agree, but when I'm taking my kids or brother out, Fred Schonell is not sensible if they can't manage a decent pace.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Its back open again - but unsure of the road condition, when i went through there a week ago it was very messy.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon May 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Jerdanefield St is pretty lumpy. Watch for gravel on the corners. Gotta say that QUU aren't great at hotmix patching.

On the plus side, the path exit configuration at Glen Road is pretty well done.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:11 pm

RobM wrote:On the plus side, the path exit configuration at Glen Road is pretty well done.
Agreed. I drove past tonight and it looked like they had torn up all the footpath after the exit/entry. Hopefully they are leveling all of that out as it has been a bit of a mess for awhile. Also looking forward to the coro drive bike path works being completed.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 am

Sandford St was a dog's breakfast this morning.
Jerdanefield St? Dunno - i didnt push my luck and chose to take the vehicular traffic detour to Sir Fred Schonel to complete my commute.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 29, 2015 7:20 am

THIS (Pictured below) is what greeted bemused commuters in the Guyatt Park section at St Lucia last night (this was at approx 7pm).
While i was stopped to take this pic 2 other cyclists pulled up and wondered where to go to next.
I directed them to turn around, detour through the CityCat car park and onto the Sir Fred Schonell Drive eastern footpath.
On which was found another detour sign directing back to the usual route (Hiron Street) via a short distance on Bryce Street.

Priceless !!!

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 am

Yeah I went thru this morning and it's all over the shop.

That detour arrow is pointing the wrong way for starters. Then you have to traverse grass verge and gravel to rejoin the road while the QUU workers stare at you blankly.
And it looks like they are digging up Jerdanefield St again (thought it was finished?). Was told I had to dismount and walk the whole length or take Sir Fred as detour.
I chose the later.

Avoid the whole area until they work out what they are doing I reckon.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:26 pm

Rode over the newly resurfaced section of bike/foot path just after the bottom of Glen Road. It is a total mess, uneven and bumpy.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Rode thru this morning.
Good news!
- Jenderfield St & Ryan's Rd have been resurfaced properly. Much smoother than their first go. Watch out for gravel edges though, until the street sweeper cleans it up.
- Glen Rd bikepath has been repaved too. Much better.

Only bit remaining is the QUU detour at Guyatt Park.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Just feel compelled to have a bit of a whinge about how things are going along the river at St Lucia.

I would point out that yes the sewer project appears to be done and the road surfaces in reasonable condition, in some places better than what they were.
And the far end of Glen Road is probably an improvement too.

BUT - they have installed a big manhole cover on the apex of the corner at the bottom of the hill where Jerdanefield St meets Austral St. :(
Not a good place for a wet-weather hazard like that, especially as the street lighting down there is very below par.

Also they have done a massive resurfacing of the so-called "Brisbane St" between Gailey Rd and Benson Rd.
This is as smooth as now, and they have even put in one of those infuriatingly useless "painted bikelanes" on the eastern side.
This is very short bikelane, and disappears into oblivion with the narrowing of the carriageway approaching the Herbert St traffic lights.

As they say, 2 steps forward and one step back, or something like that :wink:

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Not in St Lucia, but the BCC is proposing a six month trial of trackless trains down the path at Southbank: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... iwben.html

While they WILL NOT be running at peak hour I can see this being a huge problem for causal cyclists. It is busy enough on that path with pedestrians/cyclists already.

Seems like it is two steps forward one step backwards with BCC in respect of cycle infrastructure.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:55 pm

To be fair, that area of South Bank is more of a shared path/boulevard area. If you want to go quick, you'd be better off crossing over to the purpose-built Bicentennial bikeway using (Goodwill and Go Between bridges). It would only be a minutes difference on a bike.

I myself wouldn't be too upset if I came across the train while riding there, knowing full well the intended use of that zone.

See how the trial goes I suppose.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:15 pm

RobM wrote:To be fair, that area of South Bank is more of a shared path/boulevard area. If you want to go quick, you'd be better off crossing over to the purpose-built Bicentennial bikeway using (Goodwill and Go Between bridges). It would only be a minutes difference on a bike.

I myself wouldn't be too upset if I came across the train while riding there, knowing full well the intended use of that zone.

See how the trial goes I suppose.
Agreed. But I do think it will pose an added degree of difficulty for recreational/casual/family 'bike riders' (as opposed to lycra clad cyclists).

Interestingly if you take the 'train' at Australia Zoo as an example it seems like they have been required to entirely fence off the 'train' road, for what I can only assume is insurance liability purposes (although that does go faster than the 10km/h suggested for south bank).

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Yeah hopefully it travels pretty slowly. Alot of kids in that area near kodak beach, wouldn't take much for one to accidently run out in front of the train.

Although, when's it super crowded - hanging onto the back of the train might be a good way to part the sea of tourists. Let the train driver deal with all those pesky peds while you hold on and coast :)

jack11

Postby jack11 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:26 pm

RobM wrote:Yeah hopefully it travels pretty slowly. Alot of kids in that area near kodak beach, wouldn't take much for one to accidently run out in front of the train.
Thats pretty much where my concern is coming from - small child on there new bike swerving into path of motorized vehicle could end very badly!
Although, when's it super crowded - hanging onto the back of the train might be a good way to part the sea of tourists. Let the train driver deal with all those pesky peds while you hold on and coast :)
I think you had it right the first time. If you know the thing is going to be running just stick to the northern side of the river on the bike path - same as anytime you know southbank will be heaving.

dzzmzz

Postby dzzmzz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:54 pm

RobM wrote:To be fair, that area of South Bank is more of a shared path/boulevard area. If you want to go quick, you'd be better off crossing over to the purpose-built Bicentennial bikeway using (Goodwill and Go Between bridges). It would only be a minutes difference on a bike.

I personally think it's a completely stupid idea.

Also, the South Bank parkrun uses the boulevard. This is a community event drawing 300+ runners and their families every weekend. Basically, puts this great community event in danger so a couple of lazy people can pay a commercial operator to use a train to travel ~1K. Ridiculous.
elantra wrote:BUT - they have installed a big manhole cover on the apex of the corner at the bottom of the hill where Jerdanefield St meets Austral St.
Not a good place for a wet-weather hazard like that, especially as the street lighting down there is very below par.
I've seen this as well on my regular commutes - in fact, I've almost lost it on that corner in the wet as you describe!!
=========================
2009 Specialized Tricross
2004 Cannondale CAAD4
2013 Giant Trinity Composite

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Parkrun is at 7am in the morning.

Can't see a commercial operator of a train and carriage for lazy tourists being in action at that time of the day.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Looks like its over before it even started! :mrgreen:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... jpns2.html
Save your protest for another day...

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Sorry to bump this thread. I noticed that the esplanade in St Lucia was closed this morning and a detour was required up Hawken Drive. Does anyone know why it was closed or how long it will be closed for?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 pm

It's got a contraflow due to some watermain replacement. Most of the time it is signalled, but sometimes closed.

Duration - anyone's guess.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.