Bike friendly cafes in Ipswich

daft1024

Bike friendly cafes in Ipswich

Postby daft1024 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 am

Can anyone recommend any bike friendly cafes in Ipswich?

I want to go out there as part of a longer ride and was planning on stopping somewhere to refuel.

I've not been to Ipswich in years so wondering if there are any recommendations on good food and coffee where my bike won't get flogged.

Thanks in advance

PiratePete

Re: Bike friendly cafes in Ipswich

Postby PiratePete » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:34 pm

I have brekkie a couple of Saturdays a month at Maccas Yamanto. I regularly see other cyclists stopping there, but not in the huge numbers like in town (Brissie) at proper cafes. Coffee generally is reasonable to good, I only once received a cold cup, which was promptly rectified. This maccas is well located if returning (or heading out for that matter) via the Centenary Motorway/Springfield as it is located right at the end on the Ipswich Boonah Rd.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks Pete,

I was thinking about a loop from Sandgate along the Brisbane River then Moggil Road, Moggil Ferry, Ipswich, then back via Mt Crosby Road.

I'm thinking the Yamanto Macca's might be out of the loop for this route.

I'm a northsider and don't really know the decent riding roads around the springfield area. Do you have any suggested routes?

Thanks in advance

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:35 am

There is a place in Springfield call the Coffee Baa - always seems to be pretty popular. Not necessarily with cyclists I am not sure but its pretty open and there would be somewhere to lock up your bike or keep it in your sight with its outdoor dining.

Although looking at your route now I wonder if it might be too much in the heart of Springfield :P

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Hmmm, OK well I have to admit to having brekkie once at the Maccas at Brassall, it is lined up almost perfectly between Ippy's cbd and Kholo or in my case Pine Mt rd on my way up the BNE Valley etc.

I find cafes such a hit and miss thing, so generally in unkown parts if I see a maccas then it's fair game. Riding from Acacia Ridge, I've got my cafes marked out for Scarborough and Sandgate, but on my way to the G/Coast, or beyond Ippy I normally just hit a Maccas. I've had bad service (and coffee) at the one at Bellbowrie if you considered stopping there. Shame as that's well placed for me if heading out via Moggill rd...

If looking at coming back via the Centenary, after taking the exit at Springfield (must do as no bikes permitted after this point), go straight across the intersection with Augusta Pkwy and then left onto Springfield Greenbank arterial, left at the roundabout onto Springfield Pkwy, then left onto Old Logan Rd/Formation St over the Logan motorway and follow your nose through to Tile St which will lead you to the Bike path along the Centenary/Western Fwy back all the way back to town. Mostly relatively bike friendly, but a couple of slightly unpleasant spots, one on Springfield Pkwy where it is single lane with traffic island and kerbing (forcing the cars to either wait or invade your space), and along the 80kmh section of Formation road which is rough chip seal.

I ride this return route regularly on the weekends and traffic is good. I personally avoid the centre of Springfield Lakes (where the coffee shops are) as I've found that the car drivers are particularly unfriendly towards cyclists in this area... This route will be easier than Mt Crosby and will make your route much more of a round trip. It is rolling hills the whole way from Yamanto to Camira, but the grade is slight and generally big chain ring stuff the whole way. The highway section is always over with before I want it to be, great wide shoulders with the same surfacing as the running lanes.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Whenever I've ridden through Ipswich with a group, this has always been the stop.
https://www.facebook.com/Deanns-Coffee- ... 941944067/

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks guys,

I'll definitely consider amending the route to come back via Springfield.

And thanks for the Deanns Coffee recommendation it would be around 75k into a 155 ish ride so perfect location.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Crawf wrote:Whenever I've ridden through Ipswich with a group, this has always been the stop.
https://www.facebook.com/Deanns-Coffee- ... 941944067/
Mmmm, the pies look good :P

Might need to check that one out!
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram