Cycling from Brisbane to Canberra

Kayakebike11

Cycling from Brisbane to Canberra

Postby Kayakebike11 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:16 am

We are planning to cycle from Brissy to Canberra & would like some advice as to which route we should take. Coast Highway or New England Hwy.
Look forward to some replies!

baabaa

Re: Cycling from Brisbane to Canberra

Postby baabaa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am

Coast is just ok but the New England is a good bike option if from Quirindi, you take in all the Cs (ie The Cenic Cycling Route) - Coolah, Canowindra, Cowra, Canberra, bit slower than via Newcastle but from Newcastle to Canberra via Sydney is not really that much fun

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am

The New England Highway would not be much fun either. I'd choose the coastal route, which is well-defined, and cut across to Canberra somewhere south of Sydney.

NSW Coastal Cycle Trail
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Yep, I would be picking a route that minimises any time on the New England, Pacific or Hume Highways. Yes you will see cyclists on all of these roads, they're just not my cup of tea. Fortunately you can avoid most of these roads. The site Ron linked to is one way. I have ridden most of the roads between Port Macquarie & Coffs Harbour & it was pretty good. There was a lot of roadworks in the area a couple of years ago but I think that has mostly finished now.

Another is to head a bit inland, such as from Port Macquarie via Wingham, Gloucester & Stroud.

If you were following the coast to south of Sydney, I would suggest turning inland at either Albion Park & heading up Macquarie Pass or at Nowra - Tinjarra - Braidwood

From Sydney, plenty of nice roads, such as Picton, Bowral, short stretch of highway at Marulan beofre turning off again down through Bungonia, Tarago, Bungendore & on to Canberra.

On the other side of the divide, I have ridden from Warrialda via Bingara to Narrabri which goes through some nice country. You could ride down through the Pilliga to Coonabarabran, taking the backroads through to Dunedoo, Wellington, Molong, Canowindra then as Baa Baa suggested Cowra to Canberra.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm

The Pilliga (scrub) is wonderful but not for everyone, some people do find it a bit scary...
Yes I get the coast stuff and have biked it from Sydney to Bris and back but also have done the Newell from Warwick to Mirool and then back east down to Wagga. Inland is a real chance to see stuff and not just towns full of shopping malls. The free camping is also way better inland.