Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Paddles

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Paddles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Hey Foo, are you still riding around Sandstone? I haven't seen you on the road in a while but I have been riding gentleman's hours too, none of this dawn patrol rubbish :mrgreen: A few of us have set up "allrounder" style bikes and have been stretching our road loops into the local forests this year which is good fun. Anyway, the wife and I are going to do the return trip from Toogoolawah to Moore on the 22nd so I want to pick your brain to make sure it's a nice easy ride for her and there's no hazards along the way. How many maggies buzzed you?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Mate, I can assure you, that it is not an easy ride, if you are reasonably unfit, like me. :wink: Have a look at my ride from last weekend. If you just take your time, it will be still enjoyable. The Harlin servo has good food :wink: and then I've been told that they do great coffee at the last shop in Moore. Kai something or other the name is. Be careful of the descents into the creeks after the tunnel as you can crack some real speed and there is a turn at the bottom of them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1826353226

I still ride of a weekend but fatigue levels from work have been very high this year, so I have had to manage those, which means less riding on to many occasions.

No maggies. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll hopefully be ok but it'll test wifey out by the sounds of it. At least a half time break for lunch will rest us back up for the return and if worst comes to worst I can drop her somewhere and ride back for the car. I got her to do 54km of the Kingaroy trail the other weekend in one hit with the lure of beer and a steak sanga at the Wondai pub at the end.

If you ever get keen to race the tide give this one a go. Nicko talked me into it and my legs were jelly at the end, it hurt me :mrgreen:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1777393461

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Done a few beach rides but always stopped before the 4by entry points. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 am

Gympie Council are doing a survey on possible improvements to their section of the SBRT- https://www.gympie.qld.gov.au//haveyoursay
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 am

You better tell us the sections that are crap, so that the survey paper can be filled out. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Took a group of 10 on the lower BVRT this morning - 45 km Wulkuraka to Fernvale and return. The trail is in good condition with a couple of rough sections resurfaced since my last visit in early July.

We had friendly country style service and a great breakfast at the Old Fernvale Bakery, definitely recommended.

All in all a pleasant easy ride on a nice day.

In a couple of weeks I'm taking another group on a two-day ride from Yarraman to Esk.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You better tell us the sections that are crap, so that the survey paper can be filled out. :idea:

Foo
My main priority is just getting any reasonable sort of crossing on Wide Bay Creek, decking the bridge over Kinbombi Creek would be great, and then tidying up the bad (rocky/sandy) sections.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Sompin for you crazies that like big rides, a 24hr ride. :shock:

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/brisban ... kenivte001

Foo
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:27 pm

I’m actually contemplating doing this.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Yep, ya crazy. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I’m actually contemplating doing this.
Go for it! :D

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:42 am

Well I can't believe our bad luck. All the holes in the swiss cheese lined up for the wife and I last weekend, the kid was off to a mate's place for a weekend, we scored the last room at the Toogoolawah Hotel for saturday night and we were keen for a Toogoolawah to Moore for lunch at Moore then back to Toogoolawah for beers and steak and sleep. Then it all went up in smoke, stupid grass fires, I feel for the poor people that lost their paddocks and houses. We stayed in touch with the rail trail people via their facebook page and just had to call it on saturday morning because they reckoned it was still pretty suss. Plan B was a local road/forest loop heading north from Beachmere instead. Oh well, it'll have to be another time now, we're still keen to check it out.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Bugger but the fire was south of Toogoolawah. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:17 pm

True, there was one up near Moore and yet another one popped up on the rural fire service map at Harlin for a bit on friday night so we got onto some BVRT people and they reckoned it was really smoky and krap and the firies were doing heaps of back burning. That being said, the photos from people on facebook didn't look that smoky on sunday. We'll try again soon.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:11 am

Well the gods smiled again (no kid for a couple of days and clients were away so work could wait) so the wife and I managed to ride the middle bit of the BVRT yesterday for a jaunt from Moore to Toogoolawah for a half time cafe sugar up and back to Moore for lunch and a couple of drinks, all up a shade under 60km. Perfect conditions, it had poured the night before so no dust and it was a sort of cool day with only light breeze. Anyone who complains about this section of trail should just stay at home on the wind trainer, it's bloody fantastic and the gravel surface is better than most of the bitumen here around Beachmere. I can recommend using Moore as a start/finish point for us Northsiders, it's easy to get to on the Dag Highway and there's cold booze and nice food at the Kai Lounge (there's a few other places too, but we'll try them another time). I reckon next trip to the BVRT might be to dump a car at Toogoolawah and get the Out There shuttle bus to Yarraman for a day trip back down the hill stopping for lunch along the way.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm

My group were caught in a massive storm just after leaving Linville this morning. With very heavy rain falling and intense lightning and thunder all around us we made it as far as the Kai Lounge at Moore to wait out the storm. After several hours the rain showed no sign of relenting and some of the group were becoming hypothermic. We decided to call it a day and come back another time to finish the ride.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:42 am

That's not good Ronk. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:28 am

All part of the adventure Foo, although some of the lightning strikes were a little too close for comfort. The heavy rain really tested our wet weather gear and most was found inadequte.

We probably could have continued on the new section. I did a short recce and it was a bit sloppy but handled the water quite well, considering how much there was. Ultimately had to make a decision for the group, some of them were very wet and cold.

But we had a great ride down from Yarraman on Saturday, so now we have a good reason to go back and do it again.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:28 pm

RonK wrote:... intense lightning and thunder all around us we made it as far as the Kai Lounge at Moore...
The trail south of Moore is really open so lightning would be especially dangerous.

Yarraman down to Moore is pretty well wooded by comparison.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am

That storm would have been a bit "sporty" Ron, there were a couple of storms around on Friday but we managed to sneak out and back before they crossed the trail. There's worse places than the Kai Lounge to be stuck in a storm though, they've got food and booze :mrgreen:

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Planning to ride Moore to Blackbutt tomorrow. Maybe as far as Yarraman if my butt can cope. Figured there’s a lot of downhill on the way back so you really aren’t riding almost 100km. Will post how it goes if I survive.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I’ll be carrying 4 litres with me and topping up at every opportunity. Got plenty of Gatorade powder too. Won’t be going hard. Want to average 15kph so I can do Moore to Yarraman and back in the 8 hours or so that I’ll have of daylight by the time I get there. Few stops along the way to refuel and enjoy the scenery.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Blackbutt bakery check closing time so you can fuelup both ways.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.