Bikepacking Test Trip: Toowong to Cleveland then North Stradbroke

coatastic

Bikepacking Test Trip: Toowong to Cleveland then North Stradbroke

Postby coatastic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi!

Looking at my hiking kit for some 'bikepacking' and want to do a test ride out from Toowong to Point Lookout on Nth Stradbroke. But, having never ridden out that way, I am unsure of the best route.

I've had a look at BCC Bike Route Planner, Google Maps and Strava Route Planner. Strava Route Planner, with popularity turned on, looks to be all busy roads, BCC's route planner takes me all over the shop, but this google cycling route looks like a happy medium:
Head over the green bridge from St Lucia, follow Old Cleveland Rd until you get to Capababa then a couple of ks on back streets, take the Flinders Street Path by Scribbly Gums Conservation Area and you're pretty much there.

Does this sound like the best route?
Is the path by Scribbly Gums Conservation Area gravel or cement? Hard to find any info about that.
We'll be on road bikes so gravel sections are out!

Thanks!
Last edited by coatastic on Mon May 07, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Re: Bikepacking Test Trip: Toowong to Cleveland then North Stradbroke

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:57 pm

I did a ride on Straddie two weeks ago, to recce the route for a Meetup cycling group I'm a member of. Sure you could take Old Cleveland Road, but I would go down through the City, Valley and across the Gateway then Lytton Road to Wynnum North, through Manly, Thorneside and Wellington Point to Cleveland.

Don't know about Scribbly Gums, but why you would bother? Just continue straight down Finucane Road and Shore Street to the ferry dock.

But the easiest way is to just get the train to Cleveland.

BTW - take the Stradbroke Flyer water taxi, not the vehicular ferry. It takes only 25 minutes vs an hour. $20 return.

My route on Straddie here. Note the section from 18.5 - 24 kms is fire trail and not suitable for road bikes. The sealed road surface is coarse and slow. I wouldn't call it hilly but there is a surprising amount of up and down, and a big lump to cross in the middle of the island.

If you are going to camp, Cylinder Beach campground is conveniently located next door to the pub.

Straddie Explorer
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

coatastic

Postby coatastic » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks Ron,

From what you're saying maybe something more along Wynnum Road like this? https://goo.gl/maps/JAQxFQxTvRQ2
RonK wrote: But the easiest way is to just get the train to Cleveland.
But where's the fun in that? :wink:

Thanks for the tips on ferry and camp ground. Have booked a site at Cylinder!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm not 100% clear on this as it was way back on Xmas day 2006 when I was living in Wynnum on Selina street.
If i recall, I rode towards Wynnum beach and there was a timber bikeway that went through some wetlands and went past Wellington point then onto Cleveland, took me a 2 hour slow but enjoyable ride stopping every now n then to check out the wetlands and was great to smell all the great Xmas Day cooking as i pass some residential areas....then i put my bike on the train at Cleveland back to Wynnum station then down the street to home....jeez i got pretty sunburnt though...under-estimated the power of the QLD sun. This was on my Diamondback MTB which i still have.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 02, 2018 8:57 am

Well I would go this way - mainly because it's a popular roadie ride route to Cleveland and I know it well. But it's longer this way.

Brisbane to Stradbroke Ferries

I have also ridden Old Cleveland Road, so you may as well go that way. It's a popular ride route too, so if you are there early in the morning you'll see plenty of other cyclists.

Traffic get pretty busy around Capalaba, so best to get through there early before the Saturday morning shopping rush starts.

coatastic

Postby coatastic » Mon May 07, 2018 12:21 pm

So I tried the route I was thinking of yesterday, Old Cleveland Rd, Scribbly Gums track etc. Was nice in the non road sections, the concrete path by Scribbly Gums was very picturesque (makes me want a Mountain Bike to explore further). Otherwise pretty hairy with traffic cruising along Old Cleveland Road. I think I'll give the route you recommended a go next weekend Ron!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 07, 2018 8:44 pm

If you are going to get into bikepacking, a mountain bike or gravel bike is going to be a more versatile choice. This mine - a Salsa Fargo.

It depends on the time of day, but I think you are going to encounter traffic whichever way you go. However it was quiet enough when I drove Old Cleveland Road at 6:30 am.

Have you done the camp out on Straddie yet?

Have you heard of the Swift Campout? It's an international bike camping event held each year on the weekend closest to the solstice, this year it will be June 23rd. I'm thinking about doing a campout at Cylinder Beach.

coatastic

Postby coatastic » Sat May 12, 2018 5:23 pm

RonK wrote:If you are going to get into bikepacking, a mountain bike or gravel bike is going to be a more versatile choice. This mine - a Salsa Fargo.
Have you done the camp out on Straddie yet?
That's an awesome setup! I'm pretty keen to get a gravel bike... but at the moment funds dictate otherwise!

...we're doing Straddie next weekend, might do another ride out there tomorrow without any kit to test your suggested route.

If you're interested, here is a quick test of my gear loosely strapped on my bike. A few more things to add but I reckon there's about 8kg there – Lucky we have done a lot of multi day hikes so have a pretty decent light weight camping setup.

RonK wrote:Have you heard of the Swift Campout? It's an international bike camping event held each year on the weekend closest to the solstice, this year it will be June 23rd. I'm thinking about doing a campout at Cylinder Beach.
No I haven't head of that. Looks like the date for our next camping trip has been decided! Will post a follow up on our trip if you want any tips ;)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Looks good. You won't need a lot of gear for an overnighter, particularly if you eat at the pub.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Have a great adventure.

coatastic

Postby coatastic » Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 pm

All done!

Trip went went well, we caught the best of the weather and are keen to go again. Having done some ultra light camping in the past has certainly paid off! I didn't weigh the gear but I'm sure it was under 10kg per bike.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the road from Dunwich to Point Lookout. Nice wide shoulders with only a couple of tight spots, generally free from debris and gravel. Lots of 'give cyclists space' signs.

After ~50k on the mainland and a 25min cooldown on the ferry it felt like it was all uphill! Was almost taken out by a "Stradbroke Island Buses" bus on one of the sections without a shoulder, he was absolutely not following the 1.5m rule. Scared the daylights out of me :shock:

Couple of pics

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 am

Great pics. So you're hooked on bikepacking?

How did you find that route to Cleveland? Was it better than Old Cleveland Road?

Do you have an MTB? You might like to try this. YARRAMAN TO WULKURAKA 3 DAY RAIL TRAIL RIDE

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 am

It does look like a good trip.. Last time I was on Straddie I didnt take the bike and wished I had. if you still have the bug after the BVRT you can then try this ride in NZ . Geyserland Mega Grind. It includes the Timber Trail which is one of the best rides on the North Island and there is also talk of another 600km loop (will be a figure 8 course) which includes the Motu Trail so either 800km or 1400km.. You have 5 months to get sorted
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

coatastic

Postby coatastic » Sun May 27, 2018 9:52 pm

RonK wrote:Great pics. So you're hooked on bikepacking?

How did you find that route to Cleveland? Was it better than Old Cleveland Road?

Do you have an MTB? You might like to try this. YARRAMAN TO WULKURAKA 3 DAY RAIL TRAIL RIDE
Yeah super hooked!
That Route was way nicer that Old Cleveland Road. Thanks for the suggestion :)
I've heard of the Rail Trail Ride, might have to hire a MTB bike for it!
cancan64 wrote:It does look like a good trip.. Last time I was on Straddie I didnt take the bike and wished I had. if you still have the bug after the BVRT you can then try this ride in NZ . Geyserland Mega Grind. It includes the Timber Trail which is one of the best rides on the North Island and there is also talk of another 600km loop (will be a figure 8 course) which includes the Motu Trail so either 800km or 1400km.. You have 5 months to get sorted
Those NZ Rides are next level, I'm so keen!