Cycling Story Bridge Accident

ValleyForge

Cycling Story Bridge Accident

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 am

It is disappointing to hear of an accident between two cyclists:
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4zkuw.html

It does bug me - as a local rider and resident - just how the "Commuter Cup" competitors treat the Story Bridge downhill during the afternoon rush. From the report, it seems one hit the other and collided with the railing.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jules21

Re: Cycling Story Bridge Accident

Postby jules21 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 am

I came upon this right after it must have happened. It may have been a head-on collision. One of the riders was seriously injured, the other was sore but OK and not talking to anyone. I agree that riders take it too fast, I have been guilty of that - but only when I feel it's clear. What does irk me is when riders pull out from behind pedestrians - directly into the path of oncoming cyclists. I don't know if that's what happened last night, but I just don't understand what goes through your mind to pull out like that and then realise "wow we're about to have a head-on collision".

I hope they both recover well, especially the poor guy who had clearly knocked his head.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 am

Aggressive riding is fairly common on Brisbane commuter routes, the Bicentennial Bikeway in particular.

Clearly changing vehicle from a car to a bike does not make some into nicer people, they bring their "get outta my way" attitude along with them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 pm

I saw on Facebook earlier that someone who arrived on the scene just after it happened says that it was a cyclist and a jogger who collided.