Caboolture To Wamuran Rail Trail

foo on patrol

Caboolture To Wamuran Rail Trail

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Rode from Cab to Wam this morning on the trail and parallel to it. The work that is being done from Caboolture out will be a fast section, as they are laying asphalt on it. 8) Seems like Wamuran - Woodford is closed off or I didn't get close enough to see a way around the fence at the produce joint. :wink:

The section from the overpass of the Dag Hiway is a pain as the old line is still there, so only a very narrow section to ride on. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Lukeyboy

Re: Caboolture To Wamuran Rail Trail

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Rough?? Its smooth as.

It's still there too the north. Just gotta look for it :P

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 am

Do enlighten me? :P

I didn't say it was rough, I said it was narrow, so there! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 pm

New section in Cabo is smooth as. It’s blood hotmix. Some certain people on the bvrt thread will love it.

From wam to Woodford you need to ride on Gamgee road. It runs next to the old train line. Just before bracalba you go up a dirt road called Mylett Rd and this comes to a forestry gate. Through the gate the rail trail goes up to Raeen Rd. From raeen Rd there’s a number of options to Woodford

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:57 pm

I'll check that out, SSS. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:08 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:New section in Cabo is smooth as. It’s blood hotmix. Some certain people on the bvrt thread will love it.

From wam to Woodford you need to ride on Gamgee road. It runs next to the old train line. Just before bracalba you go up a dirt road called Mylett Rd and this comes to a forestry gate. Through the gate the rail trail goes up to Raeen Rd. From raeen Rd there’s a number of options to Woodford
Haha. I was sitting on 40kph+ on some of that damn stuff. You can mistake it for an actual road its that wide and that good of quality. Although that road crossing next to the roundabout looks like it will be a real bitch of a crossing. I can;t remember if it will be a zebra crossing or not but I hope to god that it is. The traffic island in the middle isn't even wide enough for my mtb blocking traffic in some direction.

The section north of Wamuran is still there. You just have to look for it.

Somewhat good condition. Definitely mtb territory. You could do it on a cx but expect to have gearing problems.

Although in saying that its mostly like this.... doable on a cx which is great for crossing the dirt mound that used to be a road but expect some grass in your gears and rear mech as a downside :P

Once a railway line. Always a railway line.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:53 am

Lukeyboy wrote: doable on a cx which is great for crossing the dirt mound that used to be a road but expect some grass in your gears and rear mech as a downside
Not sure about the relevance of this comment. Unless you are running Rohloff with Gates belt drive, that is going to happen whether it is a MTB or cx. Even a belt may have problems.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Luke this is why I said to ride on Gamgee road. No traffic and runs parallel with the track to Bracalba.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:19 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Luke this is why I said to ride on Gamgee road. No traffic and runs parallel with the track to Bracalba.
Where's the fun in that.... :P

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm

The wife and I did a return trip from Caboolture to D'Aguilar this morning using the newly improved rail trail, Station Road / Gamgee Road and then the national park rail trail around the back of the Bracalba Quarry. The trail from the Wam underpass to County Drive is now bitumen and from the trail head in Cabbo out to Tullawong High School is bitumen. The rest of the trail to in between is well maintained deco or road base.

Gamgee road has had all the edges fixed up and the trail through the National Park is in fantastic condition. We saw only 1 other cyclist and the day was perfect. Get out there and use the infrastructure I reckon, even though it's still not 100% complete. Anyone from Brisbane keen on a quick bike adventure can catch the train up and the trail starts very close to the station, there's a pub and shops at each end and the return trip is only around 50km so a good fun ride.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Paddles wrote:The wife and I did a return trip from Caboolture to D'Aguilar this morning using the newly improved rail trail, Station Road / Gamgee Road and then the national park rail trail around the back of the Bracalba Quarry. The trail from the Wam underpass to County Drive is now bitumen and from the trail head in Cabbo out to Tullawong High School is bitumen. The rest of the trail to in between is well maintained deco or road base.

Gamgee road has had all the edges fixed up and the trail through the National Park is in fantastic condition. We saw only 1 other cyclist and the day was perfect. Get out there and use the infrastructure I reckon, even though it's still not 100% complete. Anyone from Brisbane keen on a quick bike adventure can catch the train up and the trail starts very close to the station, there's a pub and shops at each end and the return trip is only around 50km so a good fun ride.
I'm not all that familiar with the area - do you have GPS or other you can link to.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm

So two weeks later we headed inland to the Wam Rail Trail again to try to avoid the strong wind we've been getting along the coast. The road crossing at County Drive is all but finished and it's looking like the work is kicking off on the middle section between Tullawong High School and County Drive.

We had a group of four of us this time, two rode over from Beachmere and we drove over because Beachmere Road is krap. We stuck together as far as Wam and then we cut the two cousins loose to head up the range to Woodford for brekky at a faster pace whilst myself and the wife headed north along Newlands Road and did a tour of the back roads through the pineapples between Wamuran and Elimbah. I hadn't ridden through here since i was a teenager and it's great, undulating small hills and clean air equals awesome. Then we met up with the other guys on their way home and left them to battle the nasty headwind back to Beachmere. The rail trail head works out as a top place to park the car and then access these roads.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Is there a way to connect from the rail trail to Woodford with taking to the D'Aguilar Highway?
I think I remember a track from Raaen Road around the back of the golf course but can't pick it on Google Maps.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:25 am

RonK wrote:Is there a way to connect from the rail trail to Woodford with taking to the D'Aguilar Highway?
I think I remember a track from Raaen Road around the back of the golf course but can't pick it on Google Maps.
This is the way I take.
When you get to the top of the rail trial on Raaen Rd, turn right and head NE on Raeen Rd for 800metres.
Take a left hand turn onto Manor Downs Dr. Follow the road through the estate for 900 metres and it will end in cul-de-sac with a cement path at the end.
The path it comes out onto an easement which is actually Chambers Rd. Turn left and follow the easement west for 2.8km.
Turn right on to a dirt road (this is in fact the old train line). Follow this road for about 1.1km (it is a bit sanding in spots).
Just after you cross a rocky easement turn left onto a short bit of single track for about 220 metres.
This track will come out onto Peterson rd. Head straight west and it will come out next to Woodford high school. Turn right and follow the side road into Woodford.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29357284

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 pm

Great. Many thanks Scott.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Hey Ron, there's the Chambers Road route that Scott has described that leads into Woodford near the pool, or you can continue along Raaen Road all the way to the Beerburrum-Woodford Road then hang a left and it leads into the back of Woodford near the golf course which sounds like the route you might be familiar with.

An easy day trip adventure with pubs and good bakeries for pit stops is only a train trip away for Brisbane cyclists, the trail head is just around the corner from the train station. It's another alternative to the BVRT that provides a stepping off point for some nice farm backroads.

Your route to work this morning was a corker Scott ............. a very nice way to start the day.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks paddles

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:38 pm

No, that's not it Paddles. I've ridden from Beerburrum to Woodford but want to make a loop for a group ride I'm planning.

Years ago I participated in a working bee that marked a Caboolture loop joining the Bicentennial National Trail. We placed yellow and black striped triangular BNT markers but I'm buggered if I can remember where now. I think it must have been near Twin View. Somewhere along the way was a track through a very boggy section then along the perimeter fence of the golf course.
Never mind I will check out Scott's suggestion, have had my eye in Chambers Road as a likely route.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Righto Ron, I'm not familiar with the old national trail route up there at all, I thought it actually used to cross the Dag Highway near where Raaens Road comes out but haven't even noticed the signs recently.

Next ride for the wife and I up there will be Cabbo to Woodford for brekky via Chamber's Road and then head east along the Beerburrum-Woodford Road and then back down Raaens Road and down the rail trail to Cabbo via Wam. A bit of a +60km out and back with a loop on the end and some cafe goodies in the middle. Looks like your evening ride on the BVRT would have been fun.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Yeah, I’m thinking something similar but continuing on Woodford-Beerburrum Road to Old Gympie Road and back to Caboolture that way.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Ron, If grinding back down Gympie Road isn't interesting enough for your group and you want to try some pineapple farm roads then have a look at this route.

A couple of things to note are:

- King Road (just west of Elimbah township) goes through a dip in a pineapple paddock and can be cut after a heap of rain (it shows the pond in google streetview), it was dry last weekend but can be bypassed by using Williams/Pates/Powell Roads to the north or Alcock Road to the south if it is wet
- There is a tunnel under the highway linking Cayenne Road and Del Rosso Road to get you back onto the rail trail at the Caboolture end (this can be seen using google streetview if you wish to check it out)

https://www.strava.com/routes/17253527

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks John, I’ll check it out.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Rode to Woodford today combining the tracks provided by Paddles and Scott.
Despite the recent rain, the track was in surprisingly good condition. It is a pity that there is no way to avoid using the highway from Gamgee Road to Bracalba.
I was absolutely astonished by the beauty of the rainforest along the trail through the conservation park. It was completely unexpected.
From Bracalba on it rained almost continuously. I missed the link track to Petersen Road somehow and had to backtrack a short distance.
We returned along Beerburrum Road in heavy rain and decided to continue on to Beerburrum and end the ride there rather than return to Caboolture along Old Gympie Road.
Despite the rain we enjoyed the ride but it was great to get home to warm shower.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/33860875? ... q9dxx9uA5J

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 am

I'll have to chect that route out at some point, Ronk but when all of these scuds clear out because I'm over being wet on my rides. :evil:

Foo
Goal 6000km