Freeway/Tollgate intersection no more !

MichaelB

Freeway/Tollgate intersection no more !

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Given the three recent incidents at the bottom of the SE freeway where three lives have been lost, and several critical injuries, I'm now avoiding that intersection to get up to Mt Lofty now and instead going via Thirkell Ave/Heywood (sp?) Dr to get there.

It means a much harder climb, but I'm not interested in being a sitting duck at the junction when something goes really wrong, as it has too often, especially recently.

What do others think ?

rustychisel

Re: Freeway/Tollgate intersection no more !

Postby rustychisel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

I think you're probably over-thinking it unless you really are feeling statistically vulnerable... sure you're not just fishing a bit?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:48 pm

You're safe enough on the up-track, just come back via greenhill rd if you are worried about being cleaned up at the lights... or Belair :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:40 am

rustychisel wrote:I think you're probably over-thinking it unless you really are feeling statistically vulnerable... sure you're not just fishing a bit?
Lets just say I want to be able to retire and still ride.

It may be an over reaction, but if you saw the footage and have closer discussions with those that attended the scene of the accidents, I can spend the extra effort to ensure my safety.

It's the same thinking as to why I don't ride on certain roads and/or at certain times, as well as no longer riding in local 'sportive' type events due to a minority of idiots on bikes increasing my risk levels.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 am

If YOU don't think it's safe then choose another way. I do that, I'm sure many others do to. We all have different tolerance to risk.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 am

The only issue that seriously needs addressing is crossover, why they didn't build a flyover is perplexing

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

cage

Postby cage » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm with Biffidus in that I think your pretty safe on the up-track.

What I don't understand is, how does lowering the speed limit stop a runaway truck?

And from what I've read, one of the reasons drivers don't use the arrester bed's is because is costs some thing like $8k to pull a truck out. Compare that to being charged with non-aggravated driving without due care which carries a maximum penalty for that offence is $2,500 & 3 demerit points & you can see why they choose not to use the beds.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 am

I was going to suggest that they should introduce a "failed to use arrestor bed" charge that costs more than being pulled from an arrestor bed but really they need to start charging people far more harshly for negligent or aggressive driving.

Which of the roads leading up to Mt Lofty is the safest? Aside from the crossover/lights the freeway is pretty good. I think the alternatives are all long, single lane roads where you are likely to have lots of cars wanting to get past you.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:32 am

Biffidus wrote:
Which of the roads leading up to Mt Lofty is the safest? Aside from the crossover/lights the freeway is pretty good. I think the alternatives are all long, single lane roads where you are likely to have lots of cars wanting to get past you.
My order is ;

Via Thirkell Ave/Heywood Dr due to low traffic volume (but steep) and joins freeway track by Mt Osmond Turnoff.

Greenhill Rd is narrow, but at the right time, traffic flow is pretty light and as a lot of cyclists use that route, vehicle drivers are pretty respectful.

Last option, is via Belair Rd and then Upper Sturt Rd (or detour via Sturt Valley Rd), and again, at certain time traffic flow is OK, but can get busy.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 pm

if you really want to ride the track, you can try getting onto the track from portrush road as opposed to waiting at crossroad. I reckon you would be safe from any runaway trucks doing ti that way.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:17 pm

eeksll wrote:if you really want to ride the track, you can try getting onto the track from portrush road as opposed to waiting at crossroad. I reckon you would be safe from any runaway trucks doing ti that way.
IMHO, Portrush rd is worse than Cross Rd for traffic due to trucks and limited space.

Meh, there are plenty of ways to get up to Lofty, and each to their own