Mt. Barker to Adelaide

MikeM

Mt. Barker to Adelaide

Postby MikeM » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Bit the bullet and going to hire a car for TDU as well as bringing our bikes to ride the Bupa. Being fairly tight I thought the $60 each to get the bus back to Adelaide seemed a bit steep. Looking at Google maps it says the ride back is 37 km along Mt Barker road assuming we don't get lost. Is it feasible to ride back or would it be better, safer to get the bus.
Also looking at riding out to Glenelg for the start, looks like there is a cycleway for a good part of this but will it be dark at 5.00am meaning we will need to bring lights.
Thanks,
Mike.

rustychisel

Re: Mt. Barker to Adelaide

Postby rustychisel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Does the Bupa ride finish in Mt Barker? I haven't bothered noting. Anyway, there's no way you get lost gettting back to the city: follow one of several thousand other cyclists doing the same thing. Mt Barker is pretty much top of the Lofty Ranges, so most of the ride back is over the top of the range and then doiwn to the city.

Likewise to get to Glenelg, follow someone from the city, Greenhill Rd and Anzac Highway. It's a 12km flat ride.

BradL

Postby BradL » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:38 pm

As an alternative to Anzac Highway, you can use the Mike Turtur bikeway to get to Glenelg. A combo of dedicated bike/ped path and quiet backstreets running alongside the tram line. It starts at the intersection of Greenhill Road and King William Road. One potentially tricky spot though - Just after you cross Goodwood road make sure you cross to the other side of the tram line via an underpass, turn left to keep following the tram line, then take a second underpass to cross the train line. From here it's bike path all the way to Glenelg. Anzac Hwy is somewhat more direct and faster, whilst the bikeway is more leisurely. Depends on what you're after

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 am

I believe the OP was considering riding to the start of the Bupa ride at 5am -ish. Follow the salmon.

BradL

Postby BradL » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Aah. That would make sense then

MikeM

Postby MikeM » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks for the replies.
The Bupa starts at the ungodly hour of 6.30 so thought 5.00 am depart from hotel would get us there in plenty of time, don't know what time people start getting into their start places. Don't want to end up starting right at the back mainly for the safety aspect. Will be in Adelaide from the previous Saturday so hopefully will get in a few rides and try to get a feel for the area and will definitely ride out to Glenelg beforehand. One thing about the early start is the first part of the ride shouldn't be too hot - I hope. The salmon reference went straight over my head must be a S.A. thing. As for riding back from Mt. Barker, I was hoping that quite a few riders would be doing that. Just didn't want to end up riding back on dangerous roads.
Thaks again,
Mike.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:59 pm

salmon is just a broad reference to shoals of cyclists. There are likely to be plenty around, you'll see. You'll have a fantastic week.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:33 pm

pfft ... Mike turtur bike way? You got more chance of finding your way by closing your eyes and riding round in circles.

BradL

Postby BradL » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:32 pm

An option, that's all.

Have a nice day.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:44 pm

wasn't having a go at you. Having a go at that bike track, I have been on it a few times and I still wonder if I followed the track or made my own way another way. Gets a bit fuzy after you cross good wood road.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:02 pm

rustychisel wrote:salmon is just a broad reference to shoals of cyclists. There are likely to be plenty around, you'll see. You'll have a fantastic week.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e%20Salmon