Adelaide's road bike/shop history

savvas

Re: Adelaide's road bike/shop history

Postby savvas » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:14 am

Peter Good is still actively involved in the bike industry. He recently reactivated his amazing workshop and is - I believe - doing contract repair work for various retail suppliers. He is perhaps one of Australia's most creative and innovative bike designers. I recall cycling the far Northern Flinders with him in 2001, me riding my old Centurion mtb (bought new from Lifecycle) and Peter on his unique 'desert bike' with it's fixed front and rear racks, raised chain stays and central-frame water storage cradle. The uni-mog of off-road bikes!
Savvas.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:40 am

Not an old chain, but seems like JT Cycles (Eliz & Pultney st) are gone.

Sign in Pultney St window mentions liquidators called in so one less to go to.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:39 am

Damm where to now ?
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

cage

Postby cage » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:53 pm

99bikes have opened up a second store at Prospect. Wouldn't have thought the demand was there but I guess time will tell.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 am

That new 99 bikes looks pretty good. Nice to see some alternatives now that a while bunch of shops switched to just selling specialized stuff.

They have a decent range too.

craigdamey

Postby craigdamey » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 am

International Cycles was a favourite of mine. Charlie Giessauf built a custom Columbus SL frame for me and some Mavic GP4 tubular wheels. Back then it cost $275 for a frame and took him a full two weekends to build it. His frames were the best around at the time and his attention to detail was amazing. This was my bike in 2009, wheels were stolen from Adelaide University but everything else was original - that Iku cyclometer was years ahead of it's time (bought from Super Elliots). Saddle was a new replica of the original.

This was built in 1983. No that's not a disc brake, it's the pickup for the self powered Iku cyclometer. Mostly Campagnolo Super Record drivetrain, Suntour Superbe cranks and brakes. Cinnelli bars and stem. Shimano Dura Ace ax levers. Selle Italia Turbo saddle. Shimano Dura Ace ax seatpost. Regina seven speed cluster, 12-18 straight up. God I wish I still had that kind of power, I climbed Palmer hill with a 42/18 :shock:

Last edited by craigdamey on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:08 am

Deleted post as Craig fixed the pic above.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

craigdamey

Postby craigdamey » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:02 am

In the mid seventies my first bike came from Malvern Star Cycles - a bright green Superstar SL with top headstem shifters, turkey levers and Shimano Eagle II derailleurs (2 x 5).

Around 1981 I traded that for a Standish Aero from Standish Cycles (Roger's shop I believe) on Payneham Road. Basically the first 'aero' road bike with teardrop frame and Dura Ace ax group (7300 series). It was also the first bike with indexed shifting (little staircase block in the derailleur) but it never shifted properly because it needed the special Dura Ace chain which they hadn't bothered to import. I ended up selling it to go back to analog shifting and the Giessauf above.

Greg Dix

Postby Greg Dix » Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Deane Toseland Cycles North Adelaide. http://www.aussievelos.net/deane-toseland-cycles/