Commuter warnings

Noviss

Re: Commuter warnings

Postby Noviss » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:45 pm

There is a dead wallaby in the Northbound lane of Caswell Drive just before the Belconnen Way exit. There is an abandoned car near the North bound Belconnen Way merge point - its not in the cycle lane though.

According to TAMS Gungahlin Drive was meant to be swept in January. Given the debris it hasn't happened yet (the dead fox near Calvary Hospital has been there since November) so hopefully, soon.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:39 pm

http://www.tccs.act.gov.au/roads-paths/ ... cing-works
Transport Canberra and City Services wishes to advise residents, motorists and other road users that following its 2015-16 road resurfacing program, remediation works will be carried out on some roads previously resurfaced in the following suburbs(weather permitting):
Wednesday 1 February 2017
Asphalt resurfacing
Street Suburb/Region
Intersection of Fremantle Drive at Bunbury Street - both directions Weston
Resealing
Street Suburb/Region
Parkes Way eastbound from Bridge over Clunies Ross Drive to Acton Tunnel Acton
Microsurfacing
Street Suburb/Region
Southern Cross Drive eastbound from Ratcliffe Crescent (W) to Ratcliffe Crescent (E) Florey

Short delays can be expected at these locations while work is in progress. Motorists should consider using alternative routes to avoid these roads and possible delays. Motorists are also advised to reduce speed when travelling over recently resurfaced roads. Information will be supplied daily detailing the locations of work for the following day. For further information please contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

The following is a listing of roads and streets programmed for resurfacing in the 2016/17 financial year, these sites have been sorted by treatment.

broken link removed

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:53 pm

A section of the on-road cycling lane is closed on Hindmarsh Dr (heading towards Woden) at the intersection of Launceston St, Lyons where they have put concrete barriers. Launceston St is closed to traffic turning from Hindmarsh Dr. Not quite sure what thgey are doing there, I suspect it is more than just re-surfacing as they have a work compound set-up about 500m down the road with site sheds, machinery and roadwork signs. So expect disruption in that area for some time.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:04 am

Ross wrote:A section of the on-road cycling lane is closed on Hindmarsh Dr (heading towards Woden) at the intersection of Launceston St, Lyons where they have put concrete barriers. Launceston St is closed to traffic turning from Hindmarsh Dr. Not quite sure what thgey are doing there, I suspect it is more than just re-surfacing as they have a work compound set-up about 500m down the road with site sheds, machinery and roadwork signs. So expect disruption in that area for some time.
I think you will find there are new sets of traffic lights being installed at the Launceston and Eggleston intersections on Hindmarsh Drive.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Monaro Hwy northbound from Canberra Ave ramp to Gladstone St ramp has been resurfaced with, you guessed it, loose gravel. :roll:

Parts of Gungahlin Dr at Nicholls/Ngunnawal was resurfaced on the weekend using what looked to be proper smooth bitumen. Drove the car on it and confirmed it was smooth. Rode the bike on it and it is a different story. Surface is now bumpier than the chipseal it covered. :|

joingler

Postby joingler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:38 pm

THe eastbound cycle lane on Hindmarsh Drive between the Parkway and Woden disappears due to roadworks on the Launceston Street intersection (I think they might be putting in traffic lights?)

It's not too hard to dodge around but I've adjusted my route to go via Heyson Street and Lyons shops until it is fixed

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:29 pm

http://www.pedalpower.org.au/news/rider ... life-walk/
The annual Gift of Life Walk will be held at 7.00am on Wednesday 1 March.

Last year 4,000 participants completed the bridge to bridge walk before moving off to work.

Organised by Gift of Life and sponsored by the Organ and Tissue Authority, this event helps raise awareness of the importance of organ and tissue donation and involves thousands of Canberrans every year.

Two simultaneous walks will be held, the standard bridge-to-bridge walk around the lower basin of Lake Burley Griffin as well as a shorter option around the National Library of Australia. Participants should gather at the Patrick White Lawns between the National Library of Australia and the lake at 6.45am with both walks kicking off at 7am sharp from the same start point.

The bridge-to-bridge circuit of Lake Burley Griffin takes about 45 minutes to an hour and the shorter walk takes about 15-20 minutes.

You can walk or jog at your own pace, and pets, children and friends are very welcome. There’s even a free barbecue breakfast afterwards! Free t-shirts, hats and show bags will be available for participants – quantities are limited, first come best dressed.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 am

thanks Ross. wonder which way they'll be going - clockwise or anticlockwise. CW bridge will be potentially chock a block so I'd better stay on the museum side that day.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm

There is a email address for PP at the link I posted, perhaps you could email them and ask them (and report back to let other people know)

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Looks like the message is finally getting through on the rubbish on paths. There was a TAMS guy at Aranda this morning with a leaf blower blowing the path clean. I was so impressed I stopped and thanked him.

Hopefully this will extend to other paths and on road cycle lanes that are covered in debris. Although, I would have thought that there must be more efficient ways of doing it than with a leaf blower.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Noviss wrote:Looks like the message is finally getting through on the rubbish on paths. There was a TAMS guy at Aranda this morning with a leaf blower blowing the path clean. I was so impressed I stopped and thanked him.

Hopefully this will extend to other paths and on road cycle lanes that are covered in debris. Although, I would have thought that there must be more efficient ways of doing it than with a leaf blower.
They were doing this the other day at Mitchell but when I came back later they had resurfaced the path with bitumen that was rougher than the coarse stones they use on the road. Wonder if it is this new bitumen stuff I've been hearing about with rubber and recycled printer cartridges? They also resealed another section of path nearby and tarred straight over the tufts of grass growing out of the cracks. Massive fail in my book.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Dead echidna in the bike lane on Majura Parkway (southbound) just before Tambreet St exit

Dead 'roo in the bike lane of Fairbairn Ave (northbound) just before turnoff to Duntroon (General Bridges Dr)

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:28 am

RIDER ALERT

Event Name: Annual Daramalan College Charity Walk
Event Date and Time: Thursday 23 March - 9:30 am to 1 pm
What: 1,200 students and staff walking around Lake Burley Griffin western loop shared path.

Starts at 9:30 am at Lennox Gardens with walkers moving in a clockwise direction, finishing at Acton Park at lunchtime.

We hope it does not cause any inconvenience to those members who use this path as part of their daily commute or recreational activities.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Abandoned car in bike lane of Drakeford Dr (sth bound) near Isabella Plains

Grooved road surface on Athlon Dr (sth bound) near Farrer

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Streeton Dr near Weston (Cooleman Court ) has loose stones all over from recent resealing

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm

More resealing with loose stones, this time a short section of Sutton Rd (Sutton end)

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Noviss wrote:
Ross wrote:A section of the on-road cycling lane is closed on Hindmarsh Dr (heading towards Woden) at the intersection of Launceston St, Lyons where they have put concrete barriers. Launceston St is closed to traffic turning from Hindmarsh Dr. Not quite sure what thgey are doing there, I suspect it is more than just re-surfacing as they have a work compound set-up about 500m down the road with site sheds, machinery and roadwork signs. So expect disruption in that area for some time.
I think you will find there are new sets of traffic lights being installed at the Launceston and Eggleston intersections on Hindmarsh Drive.
They have started on Eggleston now. So it is going to be a s%&tfight for cyclists (and motorists) going both ways along Hindmarsh until all the construction is finished.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 am

The western approach to the cotter road underpass has changed to accommodate the road works. When I went through about 8am there were no warning signs up.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:51 pm

There are two abandoned/broken down cars north bound on the GDE between Glenloch interchange and the Belconnen Way exit.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:20 pm

The shared path adjacent to Athlon Drive at Phillip between Prospect Court and Parramatta Street has been ripped up. The detour is through the rough so best to avoid if on a road bike.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Noviss wrote:
A letter to The Canberra Times on the subject (not mine but I share their sentiments)
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... ux67x.html
Lights no answer

I've just gotten a response from TAMS regarding roadworks on Hindmarsh Drive at Eggleston Crescent and Launceston Street. As I suspected, they are installing more lights at both intersections (no doubt without co-ordination with other lights on Hindmarsh Drive).

Clearly whoever makes these decisions does not live in or need to commute to Weston Creek or environs using that road.

It can already take half the trip time from one to the other to get through the unco-ordinated signal bunfight that is the Parkway and Namatjira Drive.

In the morning peak hour it is quicker to travel from Queanbeyan to Woden than it is to get there from Rivett.

Further congesting traffic helps no one. The traffic pile-up this will cause under the Parkway, across Namatjira Drive and back to Melrose Drive in the opposite direction is going to be horrendous.

If the crossings at these two intersections are such an issue then remove the option to turn right from them or into them.

Dumbing down the roads by installing traffic signals is further diminishing the ability of already poor drivers to make appropriate decisions. The ultimate effect is that there will be nearly as many accidents with signals as without them.

Stop catering to the lowest common denominator and increase the expectation of motorists to actually drive appropriately.

It'd be good practice should they venture anywhere else in Australia.

Mark Pepper, Rivett

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Ross wrote:
Lights no answer

I've just gotten a response from TAMS regarding roadworks on Hindmarsh Drive at Eggleston Crescent and Launceston Street. As I suspected, they are installing more lights at both intersections (no doubt without co-ordination with other lights on Hindmarsh Drive).

Clearly whoever makes these decisions does not live in or need to commute to Weston Creek or environs using that road.

It can already take half the trip time from one to the other to get through the unco-ordinated signal bunfight that is the Parkway and Namatjira Drive.

In the morning peak hour it is quicker to travel from Queanbeyan to Woden than it is to get there from Rivett.

Further congesting traffic helps no one. The traffic pile-up this will cause under the Parkway, across Namatjira Drive and back to Melrose Drive in the opposite direction is going to be horrendous.

If the crossings at these two intersections are such an issue then remove the option to turn right from them or into them.

Dumbing down the roads by installing traffic signals is further diminishing the ability of already poor drivers to make appropriate decisions. The ultimate effect is that there will be nearly as many accidents with signals as without them.

Stop catering to the lowest common denominator and increase the expectation of motorists to actually drive appropriately.

It'd be good practice should they venture anywhere else in Australia.

Mark Pepper, Rivett
This sums it up for me. There is so much unnecessary traffic congestion in this area that would be prevented by sensible traffic light phasing and coordination. Another two sets of uncoordinated lights are only going to compound the problem.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 pm

A couple more letters to the newspaper today supporting Mark Pepper's view.
Lights a dim approach

I fully agree with Mark Pepper (letters, March 14). The traffic light lobby won't be satisfied until there is a set of lights on every suburban street corner.

The proliferation of traffic lights around this city is gradually choking the flow of traffic along arterial roads.

Lack of co-ordination is not the only problem. The complete lack of a modern intelligent sensor system can mean a large number of cars sitting emitting green house gases while the lights go through their regimented routine of arrows and light changes even when no cars are in the adjacent streets.

Also, I fear that a malevolent A.I. has hacked into many of the light control systems.

They will change to red on approach with no other cars within sight. When the window is wound down a metallic snigger can be heard coming from the control box.

Robert Bruce, Fadden

Well said Mark Pepper ("Lights no answer", letters, March 14). There will now be eight sets of lights on the 3.5km of Hindmarsh Drive between Streeton Drive and Melrose Drive and 13 sets on the 5.5km of Hindmarsh between Streeton and Palmer Street, Garran. Absolutely brilliant.

Paul E Bowler, Holder

As a resident of Chifley I welcome traffic lights at Eggleston and Hindmarsh. I have found that trying to access Hindmarsh can be both very frustrating and dangerous, particularly at late afternoon. I have waited up to 10-15 minutes to turn left to go to Weston.

Ian Reynolds, Chifley

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Parked/broken down car partially blocking cycle lane on Federal Highway (northbound) just before BP servo near Watson

Large wooden crate and debris partially blocking cycle lane on Federal Highway (northbound) about 2km before Sutton Rd off-ramp