Bike fitters in Canberra

Bantam Roosta

Bike fitters in Canberra

Postby Bantam Roosta » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:26 am

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any decent bike fitters in Canberra?

I've tried to get my setup right, but I just can't quite get it right. I think it's time to get a professional to have a look.

The LBS I bought the bike off was terrible. I won't be going back there ever. After they fit me and I was getting quite numb, I did a fit myself and my seat was literally 8cm too high. The guy did everything by eye and methinks his eye must have been closed.

HAKS

Re: Bike fitters in Canberra

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:35 pm

I have no idea how good they are, but i've seen Ride shop doing what look to be pretty comprehensive bike fits for their customers. Also seen the same at Bike Shed. Whether either of these was where you had your experience or not I don't know but they could be a start.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:11 pm

HAKS wrote:I have no idea how good they are, but i've seen Ride shop doing what look to be pretty comprehensive bike fits for their customers.
I had my bike fitted by Tim (the owner) at Ride Shop in Braddon and I am very happy with it, it was comfortable immediately and I have had no trouble at all. I can happily recommend getting your bike fitted there.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:48 pm

was it at the time of purchase and if not how much did it set you back?

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:17 pm

It was at the time of purchase so I'm not sure what it normally costs, I can't imagine that it would be very expensive though.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

seddo

Postby seddo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:01 am

Sportscare Physio at O'Conner do a comprehensive bike fit - 1hr consult with 2 physio's is about $340 from memory, expensive but well worth it. My wife had a consult back in june. One of the physio's did a thorough examination of her musco-skeletial system and recommended specific exercises , then she jumped on her bike on a home trainer - was measured and videotaped and recommendations made - cleat position, stem length changed from 100mm to 60mm, handlebars 420mm - 400mm(changed). The whole consult lasted 1.5 hrs and since she has not suffered from neck and shoulder pain. They also have 1/2hr visits for about ?? $160 - check their website for current pricing.

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

seddo wrote:Sportscare Physio at O'Conner do a comprehensive bike fit
Thanks seddo. Looks like a great option.
$295 - 80mins & 2 physios
$120 - 60mins & 1 physio

I will definitely keep them in mind. $295 is probably a bit out of budget, but I can handle $120.

spunkyryan

Postby spunkyryan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Roslyn Penfold at Atlas Physio in Braddon also do bike set-ups. $295 from memory and goes for 90 minutes. Everything on the bike is measured and adjusted as required. Also provided advice on pedal technique to get more power out of each pedal stroke and positioning of the back to minimise strain on the lower part.

Unfortunately not claimable from your health fund but eminently worth it IMHO as I was able to shave 4 minutes off my time from my house to the intersection of Northbourne Ave and London Circuit :D
N+1 - 2019 Colnago C64, Dura-Ace Di2, DT Swiss PRC 1100 Dicut Mon Chasseral

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Michael Hanslip.

I had my one and only fit done by Sportscare physio - they basically work from a formula, so not sure how well it works out for problem cases (certainly didn't fix my knee issues). Roslyn Penfold has a good rep with the athletes I know.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Bit of a grave dig, but anyone had any further/recent experience with bike fitters in Canberra? Since installing a new saddle, bars and still having issues with my feet I'm thinking its about time someone look over my setup and see if any improvements can be made.

Ultrafoco

Postby Ultrafoco » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I had Body Geometry Fit about six months ago and the position changes were pretty close to the recommendations from Sportscare Physio in O'Connor. A good bike fit prevents problems occurring later on and really shouldn't be skimped on. That said, often bike fitters adhere to their own 'systems' of fit and it is process of elimination getting a fit that works for you. It's also important to get periodic updates to your position (every three years) when you're in your 30s since your flexibility generally takes a dive from then on. Also be prepared to eat some humble pie too, a proper bike fit sometimes results in a non-pro looking bike. It just depends on what your priorities are.

macski

Postby macski » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Depends whether you want to try a physio or a bike shop.

Ros Penfold at Atlas Physio is very good. She used to race and understands cycling well. She did a bike fit for me and I was very happy. Not cheap - $275 when I had it done

I've recently bought a new bike and was extremely happy with the bike fit at Lonsdale St Cyclery - Trevor did the fitting but I understand that Jim is also very good. Don't know what they would charge if you wanted just to get a fit and hadn't bought the bike.

OutOfBreath

Postby OutOfBreath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm also very happy with the fit that was done two weeks ago when I bought my new bike at Lonsdale St Cyclery.

They also mentioned that they do a 'proper' fit for around $300 which is quite involved. I have no idea how good it is, but that might be another option to look at.

Paul
Cannondale SuperSix 5

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Argonaut Cycle Coaching do a fit sesh for 1hr for a mere $40. Some of the guys I ride with recommended him. I am trying to organise an appointment for next week, so I will keep you posted. Only prob so far is having to cycle to the ar$3 end of the world for it. Not so much the kms as the location... Tuggeranong. :P

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm

mrgolf wrote:Argonaut Cycle Coaching do a fit sesh for 1hr for a mere $40. Some of the guys I ride with recommended him. I am trying to organise an appointment for next week, so I will keep you posted. Only prob so far is having to cycle to the ar$3 end of the world for it. Not so much the kms as the location... Tuggeranong. :P
while you are there, perhaps get some testing done too?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Not sure if it will be relevant. I am getting a fit done cos my lack of form is bike fit related. New bike, different sit position etc... Definitely different muscle groups working. My old bike was set up all wrong, but it worked (after a while).

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Keen to hear how it goes. For that price and in my hood could be a good option for me :).

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Had a bike fit with Argonaut Cycle Coaching today. Spent over an hour checking out bike and body geometry and potential issues with the physics and biology of my cycling style. Every adjustment explanation served to rule out issues I have had with pain or sores or power delivery. Well worth the measly $40 it cost. I also got some cleat wedges put on my shoes to counteract an unwitting tendency to twist my torso left (right leg is stronger) and move my knees out of the vertical plane when pedalling.

Since I got the new bike, I have felt out of sorts and that power has been a struggle. Thought it was a combo of being out of form and having an odd fit on my bike. Coming home after today felt great. The word I would use is efficient. Power stroke came in much earlier and climbing and pushing on the flats was so much easier. Also, felt more stable on descents.

Two thumbs up for that investment. Will confirm details in a couple of weeks...

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Sounds good. What else did you/they find needed adjustment?

Def will give them a go in the coming weeks :).

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Seat height, stem height, seat position (fore/ aft). A fair amount of time was spent getting angles right because my legs are on the short side and work needed to be done to get angles within 'safe' zones to avoid injuries and improve seating position. There were a lot of measurements taken on both the bike and on me.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:01 pm

i went to argonauts today too, a few changes to the bike. will also report back soon

thanks for the recommendation.
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Where exactly are they in Tuggers?

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 pm

in his house in monash. he will send u address if u book him, and i think it may be on his site ??? if not, sms me rohan and i can let u know
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Cheers. Will get the details when I book I'm sure :)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:30 pm

You can get in contact with him through this website. I would try next week after the Canberra Tour...
http://www.argonautcyclecoaching.com/