Jealous Sydney-sider

tcdev

Jealous Sydney-sider

Postby tcdev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Last weekend I took the family to Canberra for a getaway. Aside from a visit almost 40 years ago, the only other time I can recall was about 15 years ago for an overnight stop on the way to the snow - about 11 years before I started riding.

And I must say that as a Sydney dweller, I am extremely jealous! :mrgreen: Bike paths/lanes everywhere (that I went). Cyclists everywhere! In fact I can't recall going anywhere on the weekend and NOT seeing cyclists! In the CBD, around the lake (duh!) up to the Arboretum and even Red Hill Lookout - everywhere!

With a young family I'd love to get back down there with our bikes and spend a day riding around the lake! And wouldn't mind a stab at Red Hill and the Arboretum myself either! And then there's Stromlo... Looks like tonnes of fun! 8)

Count yourselves very lucky indeed!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

brumby33

Re: Jealous Sydney-sider

Postby brumby33 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 am

Yeah I've been wanting to visit the area myself once again but next time as a cyclist....last time I was there was in 2003 when I took my wife's Parents who were from Japan down to see our Capitol City...they loved it..especially the cherry blossoms (Sakura) that are very significant in Japan.They were really fascinated with the War memorial too as they don't really have any such memorials in Japan like ours apart from the memorial in Hiroshima (a must see)
The closest to Canberra I ever got as a Cyclist was in Queenbeyan when we had our rest day stop on the 2005 NSW Big ride from Koziusko to Kiama.
The Problem with most of Sydney...it wasn't really planned....it just outgrew the planners, one of my Neighbours about 23 years ago told me when he got his plumbing apprenticeship with the public works, that if you went further out than Bankstown, it was all farmland back in the 60's but now it's just a congested mess. Canberra was to become our Capitol so they spared no expense to plan it right and different to anywhere else...it had to be Impressive. It'd be worth a few good days down there to really appreciate it....time for an extended family holiday eh!!

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Jawa

Re: Jealous Sydney-sider

Postby Jawa » Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 am

A timely article in the Sydney Morning Herald, in particular point 3

https://www.domain.com.au/news/eight-re ... k&ref=pos1